so for about a year i was jamming with a friend who played drums and was really good. I'm told (by him and other friends/musicians) that i'm also good. recently we found a guitarist and a bassist to jam with but then they kicked me out of the band cuz my style was too different from their's. me and my friend decided not to jam together for a while because he's been really busy with these other guys and cuz i find him to be a pain in the ass to work with cuz he's a metalhead elitist. Now i found these two guys that i'm not really friends with but i started jamming with them. they're easy to work with but they're mediocre. another thing is that they're playing metalcore, which i used to like but i've outgrown and moved on to real metal. i realize that now i'm being the elitist. So now my choices are to play good stuff by myself until i find better musicians (which probably won't happen anytime soon), or jam with these guys which would be settling. so which is better: being with musicians that are good but annoying to work with and really hard to come by, or settling on being with musicians that are easy to work with but aren't really that good?

tl;dr
is it better to be with really good musicians that are hard to work with and hard to come by or mediocre musicians that are easy to work with?
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
The ones that aren't that good. you can teach and progress them better than taking a risk with annoying one's you'll get more done!!!!
Good question, thats a tough situation. Pat Metheney once said "you want to be the worst player in a band" not meaning trying to suck but meaning to play with better people so you learn more. This situation is a tricky one though because of taste in music. Maybe stay with the good musicians while trying to find talented, like-minded people to jam with. Good luck!

edit: But, its all about having fun so do whatever you enjoy more.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Mar 5, 2009,
Think of it this way, who would you rather be locked in a van with for 12 hours?

Cuz if you tour, thats the situation.

I'd rather play with guys that I like to be around than good players.
...Actually thats what I'm doing now with my band, our bass player has never played before, but I'm teaching him, cuz we like him, and we all have te same taste.

But thats just me, and we're playing punk, so its a little different
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I'd say. Play what you enjoy with those you enjoy playing with.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
I'd say. Play what you enjoy with those you enjoy playing with.

Very good advice but is there anything to be gained by playing with those guys? how much better are you than them? is it pretty much you teaching them stuff or do they contribute to the band?

I can deffinatly see both sides but you also want to be the best you can be and you always want to learn new things (im guessing). Just something to think about when deciding.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Jam with whoever you like to jam with for now and keep on the look out for more people to jam with..
yea the people i played with before were my friends and were good. for a while we liked the same styles but then we started going different ways with that and thats why we split up.

the new guys im jamming with aren't good but they're the best i can find that isn't with the group i was with before. they aren't really my friends but i can get along with them and they're willing to compromise which i guess is good.

i told the other guitarist im not really into metalcore but i'll play some of that if they play some heavier stuff. the only thing is now i have to teach him some stuff and teach the singer how to do the deathgrowl cause right now he's doing some sort of shouty thing which he's already blown his voice doing and it doesnt sound too good.
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
It's important to remember that in a band, it's not about how good each individual member is at playing their respective instrument but how good they all sound together.
A bunch of mediocre players can sound really good and effective once they get tight, which just takes time and effort to achieve, and as the band progresses, each individual player's abilities will progress as well, giving you a tight band full of really good musicians.

This sentence...
Quote by Silence&Requiem

they're playing metalcore, which i used to like but i've outgrown and moved on to real metal.
...stands out to me because it shows what eventualy happens to most musicians as they progress.
They start taking in different influences and their personal tastes change, eventualy you'll be influenced by something different again and your tastes will change again, but the same can be said of the rest of the band too.
The secret is to incorporate all those different influences into your band, which eventualy will make something that sounds original and different to anything else.