Does anyone know what modes they use? I know they tend to use the minor scale a lot but not which modes of the minor scale.
Would Phrygian be one?

Thanks for any help as I'm currently very new to modes.

Edit: to work some out for myself is this correct?
Work out what scale, e.g. C minor.
Work out the tonal center (the most commonly played note?).
So if I was in C minor and the most commonly played note was a G it would be G phrygian minor?
Or if the most commonly played note was a D it would be D locrian minor?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Last edited by LeperAffinity at Mar 5, 2009,
I'm pretty sure that they only use the minor and harmonic minor with a b2 thrown in every now and then for added heavyness.

If you're learning modes, you need to learn all about the major scale, intervals, chord building, harmonizing the major scale, etc., before you begin to even touch on modes. The Crusades articles help alot.

EDIT: And to your other questions: it doesn't matter what note is played most. It's about what the tonal center is. What note/chord the other notes pull toward to resolve. I could play a B a billion times in E major while only playing E twice, and it would still be E major as long as it resolved to an E.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Mar 5, 2009,
Just learn all your diatonic scales. Most solos dont stay in a single mode or pattern
Alexi Laiho said this an interview with Total Guitar: "It's more about what I don't use. I'm not into the harmonic minor, I like the pentatonic. I add the flat five and major six and whatever the **** to that. Just basic major and minor scales 'cos when you don't overdo it, it can come out sounding pretty good." Hope that helps
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by dfinch10
Just learn all your diatonic scales. Most solos dont stay in a single mode or pattern

Most solos don't use modes period, though the ones that do would be more likely to stay in a single mode than not. Read the mode sticky, both of you.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.