Hi I'm not sure if this is an obvious question but I'm a newbie player so please help

I'm learning tap harmonics and when I finger the 7th fret with my left hand and tap a harmonic on the 14th fret, it works fine. on the other hand, when I finger the 9th fret and try to tap a harmonic on the 14th fret, it doesn't work. I have a guitar with active pickups that are great at picking up harmonics, and its clearly supposed to work because Ive seen this harmonic played many times before.

Why wont my guitar play it?

thanks for your help
you're probably tapping in the wrong place. you can't just tap anywhere and expect a note to ring out. try fretting 9th and tapping 12th, that might work better. or, tap on the 14th but further up or lower down the string.
Harmonics are based on creating a standing waves on the string. A 12fret natural harmonic divides the string length into exactly two parts. A 7th fret natural divides it into 3. 5th fret = 4.

The bigger the order,(number of divisions) the harder it is to ring out properly.
ok
there are 3 main harmonic areas
the 12, 7, and 5 frets
tapping harmonic is just using ur finger as the nut
if u hold down the 3 fret, simply tap the 15 fret to get the octave
or tap the 10 fret and so on
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by romanqwerty
Harmonics are based on creating a standing waves on the string. A 12fret natural harmonic divides the string length into exactly two parts. A 7th fret natural divides it into 3. 5th fret = 4.

The bigger the order,(number of divisions) the harder it is to ring out properly.

... and higher the pitch

what you need to do, is to do a tapped harmonic, you tap exactly twelve frets above your fretted finger

so you want to fret seven, so tap (7+12=19) fret 19 and viola

taking the no. of devisions into account, try tapping 5 frets away, and 7 frets away. these you need to be careful with, as to get the harmonic your finger needs to touch the string after it's been played, so tap, then lift off sliiiightly
btw im trying to learn the 'beat it' solo just so you can better understand what im trying to do
i really didnt understand what was said above, but is there something wrong with guitar? or me?