The drummer in my band is okay, but he's not the best and he's not my style of drumming. How do I quietly find a replacement?
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
watch a documentary on the early days of metallica
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Alright then. Ah well. Nice Metallica joke by the way
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
Quote by castellorizon
Alright then. Ah well. Nice Metallica joke by the way

thanx
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
pretend to break up, get into a fight with everyone else in the band, then when it is "over" just get back together and find a new drummer.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
Or you could be honest and tell him he's not ready yet and its no harsh feelings and be an honest person instead of an asshole.
I agree with highway it's one thing to take a guy out of your band. Its another thing if you try and sneek something past him. The truth is the best remedy of any problem
Some People Put Something Smart Wise and Funny Here
Those People Can @#$% themselves
Highway +1.

I mean, wouldn't it suck if your current drummer saw your ad looking for a drummer? There is no way in the world to pull that off without looking like a total dick at some point. Might as well just be straight. Better for *everyone.*

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Sakattack75
watch a documentary on the early days of metallica

Hahahahahaha! Dave Mustaine is a joke.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Don't be a douche?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Sounds like you settled on him and you're now regretting it. You shouldn't have had him join the band if he's not "your" style and his ability is in your opinion ok. Just be honest, but don't be a jerk about it.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
show the drummer some respect, itll hurt more if you dont tell him

then he'll be a fraud teacher in a school and start up a band with kids and beat you at battle of the bands
Quote by jkielq91

then he'll be a fraud teacher in a school and start up a band with kids and beat you at battle of the bands

Lol there's way too many jokes in this thread about movies and such.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by jkielq91

Actually he woldn't beat you, but he would be way more popular and would play an AC/DC cover to prove it
Quote by axemanchris
Highway +1.

I mean, wouldn't it suck if your current drummer saw your ad looking for a drummer? There is no way in the world to pull that off without looking like a total dick at some point. Might as well just be straight. Better for *everyone.*

CT

Wouldn't it suck more if your current drummer answered your ad without realising it was you?
Quote by darthbuttchin
Wouldn't it suck more if your current drummer answered your ad without realising it was you?

My god, that would be embarrassing.

castellorizon, let me talk to you for a moment about 'reputations'.
The most important quality that any musician can have is a good reputation, it's what gets you work and it's what makes other musicians want to work with you. Without a god rep, your chances of success are dramaticaly reduced, with a bad rep, your chances are practicaly zero.
Sneak around behind people's backs plotting sneaky moves to replace a person in a band when he doesn't even know that his position is in jeopardy is a sure fire way to get a bad rep.
It's one thing to have a guy going around bad mouthing you because you sacked him for basicaly 'not being your style of drummer', that simply comes under the heading of 'artistic differences' and other musicians and associated professionals will perfectly understand that, but it's another thing entirely to have someone bad mouthing you because you plotted and sneaked around behind his back rather that simply being honest with him.
That sort of behaviour can seriously damage your reputation and seriously affect your professional position in the eyes of your peers. In other words it will seriously damage your chances of success.

Just tell the guy, AS A BAND (this is important) that he simply doesn't suit the band and you wish to let him go.
Don't bring playing ability into it, don't bring personality into it, but do apologise for hiring him in the first place and wasting both his time and yours. Make sure he knows that he personaly has done nothing wrong and that you have nothing against him. This will help to limit any bad mouthing he will do later to a minimum and therefore limit the damage to your reputation.
Once he is out of the picture, audition for a new drummer and this time make sure you make the right choice, otherwise you're gonna have to go through the whole sorry saga again.
Quote by darthbuttchin

I was going to add that, but you'd figure that he'd recognize either the email address or the phone number.

"...Hey.... (905) 547-8741.....that looks like..... wait a sec....."

But yeah.... ultimately he's going to find out. Do you want to tell him now, when things are still on the level, or do you want to tell him later, and add onto the end, "... and we have already found a replacement for you?"

Any way you slice it, it will be worse telling him (or having him find out on his own) later.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Or you could be honest and tell him he's not ready yet and its no harsh feelings and be an honest person instead of an asshole.

much better choice but even if he does that he's till gonna sound like one to the drummer
dude just show him some good albums of the genre of music you want him to follow. If he's too stubborn to change or doesn't like the same type of music as the rest of the band, well you have a good reason to kick him out.