What's the best way to find new bands, artists and musical genres I want to listen to without wasting a lot of time? I'm currently/have always been into classic rock and alternative stuff, but I want to get into blues, classical, and more and better alternative stuff. How do you discover new music, UG?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
My friends tell me about them, and so i go home and look them up on youtube.
Sail upon the open skies
Friends.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
pandora.com
just type in a song or band you like and it will give you a playlist full of songs that are similar
Quote by JDbbx
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Quote by jetfuel495
UUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Takamine G Series EG363SC Fund: $400/$499
Well I listen to a crapload of Indie Rock, indie, and britpop and Post punk. Honestly, I just look on NME or google ''Bands that sound like ____'' and I just look around on forums and my friends sometimes have decent musical tastes.
One of my friends is always recommending new Indie bands to me.
Other than that, I don't really find new music. PT is all I need.

IF you want to find new music, you could always click the link in my sig...
Friends, pandora, youtube, google, AMAZON especially.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
friends --> youtube, if good --> limewire
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well I usually remeber a song I like by a band so I see if I like their other songs , also friends, and just randomly finding bands sometimes.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
On more current music, the record label one of your favorite bands is signed with. Check out the website, and listen to some artists.
Friends, Movie soundtracks/ T.V., Radio, Interwebz, basically alot of sources but mostly friends
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Well, I used to get informed of new bands by one of my friends, but we've stopped talking. UG is actually my main source of finding new stuff.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
A lot of times I end up finding new bands from youtube or pandora. None of my friends even like the same kind of music as me, besides my cousin, so I'm on my own I guess.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Wow, I haven't heard of Pandora until 5 minutes ago, and the first two songs it played were Ramble on and Wish You Were Here...... **** yeah
My friend (metal musical elitist) tells me that X band is better than whatever garbage I listen to, and I go and look it up on youtube.

Or last.fm
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Pandora is how I fell in love with bands like Ten Years After, Whitesnake, Europe, Skid Row, and Motley Crue. I used to hate all of those bands (except I didn't know about Ten Years After) before I was opened to their good songs
Last.fm FTW!
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Go to the biography of bands you like on itunes & look at influences, contemporaries & followers of tht band
or go to their myspace and look at bands on their top
or just try to keep an open mind and start searching genres on myspace
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I usually find new bands searching in the "Related Videos" while searching for a notably good song to my liking, on Youtube...
[infinite]+[/infinite] to all who said last.fm. On it now. (As always when on the PC) Also, friends.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Here, myspace, lastfm, and friends who like good music.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Word of mouth, demo trading, UG, last.fm, various other websites and wedzines.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory