Well, I recently discovered an extreme pain in my hand when I play guitar a lot. Now, I know that it's probably because of tension. The problem is, I can't find where it's coming from. It's coming from the place where you should palm-mute with, only it's more on the side of my hand than that. I could probably post pics if that would help.

Anyways, like I said, I can't seem to find where the tension is coming from that's causing this pain. It feels like I'm stretching the tendon that's under the skin right there. I decided to take a close look at my forearm...nothing. Where should I look? Maybe I should talk to a doctor? I'm clueless here...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 5, 2009,
wait....which hand?
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
talk to a doctor, somewhat the same thing happened to me, wasn't as bad though. Do you crack your knuckles?
dont talk to a doctor thats for wussys.throw some dirt on it!
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by Gmurcielago14
talk to a doctor, somewhat the same thing happened to me, wasn't as bad though. Do you crack your knuckles?

Wait, is that a bad thing? I feel like have to to it before playing the guitar, because I feel like it loosens up my fingers...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by The.new.guy
Well, I recently discovered an extreme pain in my hand when I play guitar a lot. Now, I know that it's probably because of tension. The problem is, I can't find where it's coming from. It's coming from the place where you should palm-mute with, only it's more on the side of my hand than that. I could probably post pics if that would help.

Anyways, like I said, I can't seem to find where the tension is coming from that's causing this pain. It feels like I'm stretching the tendon that's under the skin right there. I decided to take a close look at my forearm...nothing. Where should I look? Maybe I should talk to a doctor? I'm clueless here...

Obviously going to a doctor is always a good idea but I would suggest you take a good look at the way you hold your pinky when you pick; if it's tense all the time that may very well be causing the problem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Obviously going to a doctor is always a good idea but I would suggest you take a good look at the way you hold your pinky when you pick; if it's tense all the time that may very well be causing the problem.

Well, I hold it back kinda the way Paul G. does it. I was under the impression that it couldn't be bad for you, because Paul did it. Then again, MAB anchors, and that's terrible for you...Should I try not to hold it back like this?
^ It may be something other than playing guitar. (or in addition to what your doing on the guitar). Take a look at everything you do with that hand. I mean everything....writing... typing.......ect.

and yeah, see a doctor. Nobody here could diagnose your problem.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ It may be something other than playing guitar. (or in addition to what your doing on the guitar). Take a look at everything you do with that hand. I mean everything....writing... typing.......ect.

and yeah, see a doctor. Nobody here could diagnose your problem.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I can see a doctor soon. I type with my wrist cocked to on side. Could that be helping it along?

Yeah, I know you guys can't diagnose anything. I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for advice. Thanks, by the way.
Quote by The.new.guy
Yeah, I'm hoping that I can see a doctor soon. I type with my wrist cocked to on side. Could that be helping it along?

Yeah, I know you guys can't diagnose anything. I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for advice. Thanks, by the way.

yes, ulnar deviation can definitely lead to things like carpal tunnel/tendonitis. I would try to correct that even if it's not the current cause, because it could catch up to you later. Don't worry too much, in many cases it's treatable, but you may have to change a few habits. (and you may not have it at all)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
Well, I hold it back kinda the way Paul G. does it. I was under the impression that it couldn't be bad for you, because Paul did it. Then again, MAB anchors, and that's terrible for you...Should I try not to hold it back like this?

It's not bad unless your little finger is tense, if you can honestly say it's not, then it's A-ok.