My amps screwed up and i finally took it to the shop
it's a smaller shop and they only carry JJ tubes
if he replaces the stock tubes in my V33 with JJ's what changes might occur?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
From what I've heard, JJs have a darker tone than most tubes, and the V33 is a fairly bright amp with the stock tubes.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
From what I've heard, JJs have a darker tone than most tubes, and the V33 is a fairly bright amp with the stock tubes.

Kind of on the clean channell
but the Gain channel is dark & bassy to the point of absurdity
Quote by guitardude34875
Tubes won't really add more gain to your amp (I think there are a few exceptions, like Telefunken), they'll just change the character some. You may prefer some Tung Sol tubes in your amp with JJ power tubes to balance out the darkness. Or just turn your treble up more. JJ's are pretty great tubes for the money, but certainly not the nicest around.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Tubes won't really add more gain to your amp (I think there are a few exceptions, like Telefunken), they'll just change the character some. You may prefer some Tung Sol tubes in your amp with JJ power tubes to balance out the darkness. Or just turn your treble up more. JJ's are pretty great tubes for the money, but certainly not the nicest around.

Its not an option
ive dropped it off & told him to go to town to fix it & he only has JJ's
so what do you think theyll do to an extremely dark & bassy amp?
Quote by guitardude34875
Like I said, the worst you might have to do is turn the bass down a bit and turn the treble up a bit on the gain channel. Since it'll affect both clean and gain, then you should ideally be able to achieve the same tones. It's not gonna be the same change as say, having the treble full up then turning it completely off, so you won't have to worry about it being drastic.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

so, its going to get bassier?
F*ckin great

Edit: My normal tone it buckets of mids
Mid to high treble
and a fair amount of bass
will these tubes make it harder to achieve this?
Quote by guitardude34875
Last edited by ShredGod George at Mar 5, 2009,
Not really bassier. I simply mean to lower the bass to tighten it up and make the increase in treble more noticeable.

When I want a warmer, darker tone, I turn my treble down, bass and mids up. When I want a brighter, more cutting tone, I turn my bass down and treble up.

I wouldn't worry about it Like I said, it's not a massive difference. Enough to be noticeable, but not drastically so.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Not really bassier. I simply mean to lower the bass to tighten it up and make the increase in treble more noticeable.

When I want a warmer, darker tone, I turn my treble down, bass and mids up. When I want a brighter, more cutting tone, I turn my bass down and treble up.

I wouldn't worry about it Like I said, it's not a massive difference. Enough to be noticeable, but not drastically so.

Thanks for the help/reassurances
Quote by guitardude34875
Figure out what preamp spot controls what first. Each has a specific job.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Chances are, since it has an effects loop, the V1 will be for the tone, V2 is for the effects loop buffer, and the V3 is the PI (if it's anything like my Randall). V1 and V3 changes will make the biggest change, and since it's got a cathode bias, you probably shouldn't use tung sols in it. so if you get the change later, if the JJs are too dark for you, order a couple of EHX 12AX7's and replace those two positions. If you want more gain, you might try a Shuguang 12AX7 in one of the positions. You don't have to bias preamp tubes, so you'll simply be able to pull the old ones out and pop the new ones in. Just make sure they cool down after you try them out before changing them

Stupid name.

youll be fine, might have to tweak your eq a bit thats all.
welcome to the JJ family
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
To be honest...not like you are thinking. Tubes can add gain but it isn't going to make much difference like you are probably thinking. Don't expect to make it into a much higher gain amp. That has more to do with the gain stages in your amp. Honestly new tubes make an amp sound better but they do not transform an amp into another amp like some people think.