I lurk here quite a bit, and know you guys get these kinds of threads a lot, but please bear with me.

I'll have about $1200 in about 2 months, and I wanted to invest in a new guitar and amp/pedals.

I play metal, but I play almost exclusively rhythm, and I want to get a really dark heavy sound for backing our songs. I don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for too well, I don't really want a gritty sound like In Cannibal Corpse or Bloodbath, but more like a booming sound, possibly like Gojira.

We play for fun, so I don't need a huge amp. I don't mind having to tune my guitar frequently if not getting a locking trem will allow me to get a much better sound for the price.
I don't mean to be rude, but I'm looking for a little bit better advice than "Try the most common brands of metal guitar."

I came here and asked in hopes that I can limit the amount of guitars and amps I need to try to get the sound I'm looking for.
i would like to tell you right now im finding something i edit combo when i think of 3 sets
Awesome, I really appreciate it. the closest guitar center to me is a few hours, so when I go I want to know what I'm going to be looking into and not waste time.
Mesa amps do that style of hard core metal well.

You could probably try the Schecter line with some active PUPs. Together Im sure that would get you where you want to be.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Peavey Vypyr 30 and a Emgs YAY or Emgs Nope

Good Guitars imo would be ESP LTD 400+ series , High End BC Richs , Epiphones Metal Guitar Series, Scheters For sure

Amps - B-52 i heard were nice, most tube amps
Last edited by Felttoaster at Mar 6, 2009,
I'd look intoSchecter Guitars as an alternative to ESP or Ibanez. I've had real good experiences with Schecter, and for the price, they rock. For metal rhythm, I'd look into the Hellraiser series. Some of the Schecter models come with EMG 81/85 as standard pickups. Other models have a Duncan SH-11 as standard in the bridge. The hardware is also excellent-Grover tuners and Tonepros bridges. If you pick up a Schecter, then you'd have money left over to get a good amp, too. I've played half a dozen Schecters, and have loved every model I've picked up.
Last edited by tonepro at Mar 6, 2009,
if you are playing metal i suggest a crate half stack and an ibanez or a schecter. crate amps are as good as tube amps and cheaper
Quote by tonepro
I've played half a dozen Schecters, and have loved every model I've picked up.

I'm with you there! Probably one of the best made guitars for the money! Will be my next guitar, hands down!

Quote by bloodnut
if you are playing metal i suggest a crate half stack and an ibanez or a schecter. crate amps are as good as tube amps and cheaper

Quote by bloodnut
another thing what "metal" do you admire.

Read his WHOLE post. I think he might have mentioned that...

Quote by Everblack
I play metal, but I play almost exclusively rhythm, and I want to get a really dark heavy sound for backing our songs. I don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for too well, I don't really want a gritty sound like In Cannibal Corpse or Bloodbath, but more like a booming sound, possibly like Gojira.

Quote by schismed
Read his WHOLE post. I think he might have mentioned that...

sorry meant along the lines of "gain" also because i have amp and pedal settings for those bands
Last edited by bloodnut at Mar 6, 2009,
If any of you guys have some Gojira on your playlist, the sound I'd like to get close to achieving can be heard, pretty well on "From the Sky". It might just be how the album was produced, but it just sounds more like a boom kinda sound, than the standard death metal crunch sound. I 'm not to great at describing it.

I'm definitely going to check out the Hellraiser, it looks amazing. Any pedals I should try out? I did some research and was going to try the Boss Metal Zone and the ToneCore Ubermetal.
get the boss os-2 i have tried them against eachother and the os-2 is bette3r
Quote by Everblack
I'm definitely going to check out the Hellraiser, it looks amazing. Any pedals I should try out? I did some research and was going to try the Boss Metal Zone and the ToneCore Ubermetal.

Eww!

Just because it says it is a "metal" pedal.. doesnt mean its a good one.

What current guitar amp do you play? Have you looked into changing you PUPs in your current fiddle? SD does some awesome death metal with the new Dave Mustaine LIVEWIRE PUPs and the Blackouts are a killer PUP too.

i also have a digitech grunge which is great but sensitive with the loud knob
Right now, lol, I'm playing on a crate 15w practice amp, and a junky lotus guitar. All I have now was given to me, and I'm finally able to get myself something decent. As for the pedals, my friend recommended the ubermetal, and the metal zone I saw some band I like using, though I can't remember which one.
get the os-2 instead trust me it is incredible
the soundtests on the websites arent anything compared to what it can do
the os-2 can give you "van halen" overdrive to "Disturbed" fuzz distortion
Quote by Everblack
Right now, lol, I'm playing on a crate 15w practice amp, and a junky lotus guitar. All I have now was given to me, and I'm finally able to get myself something decent. As for the pedals, my friend recommended the ubermetal, and the metal zone I saw some band I like using, though I can't remember which one.

i bought a crate amp, the os-2 and a $450 guitar and a case all for $700

the wierd thing is that i got a modeling processor for free from my aunts boyfriend.
he had just bought it
it was $145 and he just gave it to me
Last edited by bloodnut at Mar 6, 2009,
Right now, I'm looking at a v-1 Hellraiser and a used 5150/6505(apparently the amps gojira actually use, what better way to get close to their sound).
Quote by Everblack
Right now, I'm looking at a v-1 Hellraiser and a used 5150/6505(apparently the amps gojira actually use, what better way to get close to their sound).

That's a good idea, at least on the amp, the guitar is your choice, if you play it and like it get it.

Oh and bloodnut, stop posting four times in a row.
How much are they asking for the 5150?
That way we know how much you have left over to spend on a guitar.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by voteforpedro36
That's a good idea, at least on the amp, the guitar is your choice, if you play it and like it get it.

Oh and bloodnut, stop posting four times in a row.

Yeah, the whole 5 times in a row is extremely annoying, especially since you're advice isn't even good.

For the guitar, I'd go for a used Jackson DK2M. You can probably find one for about $500 used. As for an amp, I'd try for a used Mesa DC-50.

If you have any money left over, an overdrive pedal would do you wonders for tightening up your rhythm. Go for a used TS-9, or if you're tight on money, get a Digitech Bad Monkey.
I'm gonna recomend the dk2m i have one and its a great guitar. Scheter is also very reliable brand. For the amp maybe wait for the 6505+ 121 which should be around $500.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Wow this thread (for the most part) is full of horrible advice.

TS,go for a naturally high gain tube amp paired with a guitar that has either active pups,or high output passives.A used 5150/6505 combo would fit the bill well,and an LTD 400 (not 401) series or higher should cover the guitar.You can also look at brands like Jackson and Schecter,specifically the DK series and the hellraiser/blackjack ATX series.Go used,that'll get you the most for your money.If you can't find a 5150 or 6505 you can wait until Peavey releases the 6505 1x12 combo in spring,or try to find a Bugera tube combo on the used market.It'd be good if you could save up 100 or 200 more dollars since that'd open up your options a bit more,but I can understand if money is tight.I'll go look around the interwebs and see what I can dig up.

Edit: The LTD 400 series are on sale right now for about 500 USD,and they'd fit the bill perfectly for what you want.That'd leave you with 700 to find an amp,and the 5150/6505 combos go for around that price on the used market all the time.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Mar 6, 2009,
Prognut, thank you very much. I'm going to try and scrape up the cash for that LTD while it's still on sale, I figured I was going to has to get a cheaper guitar to get a better amp like the 5150/6505 combo, and the LTD 400s are awesome too.
Quote by Everblack
Prognut, thank you very much. I'm going to try and scrape up the cash for that LTD while it's still on sale, I figured I was going to has to get a cheaper guitar to get a better amp like the 5150/6505 combo, and the LTD 400s are awesome too.

You're welcome.They are really nice guitars,I used to own an MH-400 and it was a beast,but I ended up selling it because active pups weren't covering all of my styles well and the glossy neck was bothering me.Mind you,those are just personal preference issues I had with it and they don't change the fact that the guitar played and sounded really good,especially for metal and heavy stuff.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.