I'm aware that theres a thread related to screaming already, but I just have a quick question for any metal screamers out there.

Is it normal, that as a singer, I can hold out a pitch for 15-20 seconds or more, but I can only hold out a scream for 6 seconds tops? I just started screaming in january, and can currently only do lows and mids.

Also, my scream tone is really odd to me, like too growly. I want to sound more metalcore. Does anyone have any ideas?
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
if u cant scream for longer then 10 seconds you must have horrible and i mean horrible lungs
or your not doing it right
are you using your diaphragm???u shouldnt be letting out alot of air so not letting out alot of air lets you have longer screams.
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
the tone depends on how you shape your throat but don't do anything that feels unnatural just for tone
and be sure to push from your stomach, not with your chest
and other than that just practice, i practice on the school bus which people oddly don't find odd
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by -tempest-
use your diaphragm. it will benifit your in every area of your scream.

I know what a diaphragm is, and that I naturally use it in singing, but how do you use it in screaming?
Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by AreaMan
...Or just sing normally...

NEVAR
Quote by vintage x metal
you use it in screaming just like you do in singing. chances are you're probably screaming wrong (it prolly hurts when you scream right? if so then thats a good sign you're doing it wrong) i have no problem holding my scream longer than my actual sung parts. i dunno what kinda screaming you're trying to do exactly but i have an audio tutorial in my profile, apparently its helped alot of people so, enjoy!
Listen to absolutely everything Z says on the subject.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
you should be able to hold it for much long. i havt listend to Z'ds tutorial. its probably better than my advice and probably contains what im going to say anyway.

they way i learnt to scream is like this, and its so much better seeing a vid or doing it in person but here goes:

when u speak normally, you imagine the air going out of your mouth as a straight line, from ike ur throat horizontally outwards, thats normal, cause thats the way our eyes look when we speak i guess.

now when your screaming you have to imagine that the air that would normally be used for singing, is not just going horizontally outwards, but its traveling up your throat, and its going in a kind of path so that its going to go up and just over your ear, befor it will come out of your mouth.

you can do that by just singing normally, any pitch thats normal for your voice, then slowly raise this pitch until its higher, that is the air' travelling up your throat'. then at this point you should start to 'lose' your voice, as in it becomes hard to sound anything normally when u make your voice so high (without using your false chord!!!!). i think the trick is to then 'push' this air 'above' this point in ur mouth where u find it hard to speak at such a high pitch, and then there u are, u have a scream. im not sure if thats helped at all hope it did.
Quote by manmanster
I'm aware that theres a thread related to screaming already, but I just have a quick question for any metal screamers out there.

Is it normal, that as a singer, I can hold out a pitch for 15-20 seconds or more, but I can only hold out a scream for 6 seconds tops? I just started screaming in january, and can currently only do lows and mids.

Also, my scream tone is really odd to me, like too growly. I want to sound more metalcore. Does anyone have any ideas?

Practice. When I started, I could only do THREE seconds. Now I can easily hold out a 25 second scream.
Quote by FreakShow99
you should be able to hold it for much long. i havt listend to Z'ds tutorial. its probably better than my advice and probably contains what im going to say anyway.

they way i learnt to scream is like this, and its so much better seeing a vid or doing it in person but here goes:

when u speak normally, you imagine the air going out of your mouth as a straight line, from ike ur throat horizontally outwards, thats normal, cause thats the way our eyes look when we speak i guess.

now when your screaming you have to imagine that the air that would normally be used for singing, is not just going horizontally outwards, but its traveling up your throat, and its going in a kind of path so that its going to go up and just over your ear, befor it will come out of your mouth.

you can do that by just singing normally, any pitch thats normal for your voice, then slowly raise this pitch until its higher, that is the air' travelling up your throat'. then at this point you should start to 'lose' your voice, as in it becomes hard to sound anything normally when u make your voice so high (without using your false chord!!!!). i think the trick is to then 'push' this air 'above' this point in ur mouth where u find it hard to speak at such a high pitch, and then there u are, u have a scream. im not sure if thats helped at all hope it did.

Interesting, I do death growls but I've been attempting to learn to scream. When I use your technique my voice develops a sight rasp to it without going extremely low... Thanks, I shall experiment with that.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables