I'm looking to pick up bass and i would like to get one for cheap. I have $200 to spend but I have no idea what kind of basses are good. If i could get some help on a brand that would be great.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds
Ibanez makes good basses in that price range.
Squires are good too from what I've heard, but it seems a bit degrading owning a squire.
Maybe its because everyone I know owns a better guitar than I do :[
I'm FAT!
I was going to say ibanez, but your thinkin 200, so it doesnt matter, it wont be very good, just a beginners bass, pick the one u like at the store, the ont that feels good, u can test em out on amps for free you know

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Honestly I suggest saving up for a Traben Array. 4 string or 5 is up to you, but I have a 5 string, was 350, and I think that they are very good for their price. My first bass was a Magnum and that's about all I can say about that lol. It was just a Magnum bass, no idea how old it was nor what model it was... All I knew about it was that it was the first model that Magnum had released... any who... I still suggest a Traben or Ibanez, just need to get some more dough. : /
Quote by tatatotfolife
it seems a bit degrading owning a squire.

That (far too widespread) point of view is really, really annoying to me. Some Squiers are (believe it or not) better than Fenders:

-The Squier Wayne's World Stratocaster (MIJ) sounds as mellow as a USA Strat and feels just as good.
-The Squier Jagmaster Vista (MIJ) is second on my list of the best-feeling guitars of all time (after the jaguar Special)
-The Squier SuperSonic is a great-sounding and solidly built guitar that plays cirles around MIM Fenders.

Even the cheaper, ore generic Squiers can be good. The Vintage Modified line is tremendous; I would choose the VM Jazz Bass over several higher-grade basses. Honestly, what it comes down to is the feel. The biggest mistake you can make is not extensively trying out a bass, getting home, and realising it's uncomfortable. Just try them all out, don't be shy, and pick one based on your findings. To quote my old bass teacher, "It can say Joe Schmoe on the headstock; if it feels good, you buy it!"
I dont really know any good basses for around $200, but if you wouldn't mind adding a $100, I'd say that the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified will last you a long time in terms of sound, playability and build quality.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
If you put Squier Classic Vibe into YouTube, theres a video review of Ed Friedland playing the CV series alongside a set of the genuine articles. It might be the recording, coupled with PC speakers, but its amazing how similar they sound.
One of the things I always commend about the Squier J basses is the ready availability of improvements, such as drop-in pramps, replacement p/ups, new bridges etc... which means that you can easily boost a Squier to be truly killer by adding componenets, and still spend less overall than many Fender 'Standards'.
In the interests of diversity, I would always recommend Cort, whose Action is a great bass, and if you can find an Artisan, they are a steal.
Also, never forget the second hand market. Craigslist and eBay are your friends.
That (far too widespread) point of view is really, really annoying to me. Some Squiers are (believe it or not) better than Fenders:

-The Squier Wayne's World Stratocaster (MIJ) sounds as mellow as a USA Strat and feels just as good.
-The Squier Jagmaster Vista (MIJ) is second on my list of the best-feeling guitars of all time (after the jaguar Special)
-The Squier SuperSonic is a great-sounding and solidly built guitar that plays cirles around MIM Fenders.

QUOTE]

yeah but those things are not only rare but also more expensive then regular squires
The CV and VM lines are all out of his price range though..

If you're looking <$200, your best bet is probably an sx bass from rondomusic
(unless you get a warwick for like $216 or something)

and what about an amp? do you have a separate budget for that?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
The CV and VM lines are all out of his price range though..

If you're looking <$200, your best bet is probably an sx bass from rondomusic
(unless you get a warwick for like $216 or something)

and what about an amp? do you have a separate budget for that?

CV and VM yes.

I say Bach. A Bach is a really good bass.

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/
Ibanez GSR200.
Yamaha RBX170
used stuff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Old thread and doesn't look like TS has ever checked back, so I'm going to flag it for a mod to close so it doesn't keep getting bumped.
*reported*
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
closed, TS never checked back and i'm sure if he was buying his bass he would have bought it by now.

TS if you come back and want your thread reopened PM me
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.