For anyone who doesn't know about this little town, if you can still call it a town, click here or

the wikipage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Basically it was a thriving little town back in the day until a garbage fire lit coal underground, therefore causing the fire to spread underground rapidly. The federal government of course went the cheapest rout, and bought all of the land, and evacuated everyone. In 60 years time, 90% of the buildings have been demolished.

To this day, there is still a raging fire under the ground out there, and i find it freaking amazing.

I'm heading out there this Sunday, and am planning on taking a ton of pics

sooooooo, has anyone heard of it? or been there?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I've been to the moon.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
This was a world where no human could live, hotter than the planet Mercury, its atmosphere as poisonous as Saturn's. At the heart of the fire, temperatures easily exceeded 1,000 degrees. Lethal clouds of carbon monoxide and other gases swirled through the rock chambers.

lol, is that actually true or what
Quote by heaven's gate
I've been to Gettysburg.

i was just there yesterday. i love it there. i'm a huge history nerd so its like being in heaven.

I've never been to Centralia but i want to go someday. i think its like 1 or 2 hours from where i live.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
lol, is that actually true or what

i think that is describing how it is under ground but the Carbon Monoxide smoke clouds are constantly pouring out from cracks
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I've heard of it. Seems like it would be cool to visit and explore. Except for the whole chance of dying part.
H e l l o .
yeah, ive heard of it
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

There was some show on PBS about it once.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by michaelbot9000
isnt the video game silent hill based in a place kinda like that?

In the article it just says the movie was inspired by the city.
H e l l o .
Quote by daytripper75
i was just there yesterday. i love it there. i'm a huge history nerd so its like being in heaven.

I have to say I can't stand it there (for its historical reasons). Standing around staring at a bunch of fields does not excite me. But I find political history (if that's what you want to call it?) pretty boring...

Antietam on the other hand, now that's a cool place.
Quote by heaven's gate

Antietam on the other hand, now that's a cool place.

Antietam is pretty much a bunch of fields too.

but i guess it doesn't appeal to everyone.
Quote by CaptainRon
I've heard of it. Never been there though.

This. I ought to go, seeing as I'm not that far away.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
it's about three hours away from me. i should visit it some time.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by daytripper75
Antietam is pretty much a bunch of fields too.

True, but I think it was Bloody Lane that stuck with me. I found/find that detail very interesting, and not in the "AW Br00tal METALZ NAEM BL00DY LAEN!!!1!!" type of way, more in the "imagine so many poor dying soldiers in one spot there is literally a river of blood" type of way. If you know what I mean.

That kind of thing, that amount of death in one spot... does not compute. I remember standing in one of the towers overlooking Bloody Lane trying to imagine what it would've been like in 1862... mind = blown.
Quote by daytripper75

I've never been to Centralia but i want to go someday. i think its like 1 or 2 hours from where i live.

It's so eerie in Gettysburg. Especially on the field of Pickett's Charge.

Damn, it was just about one of the most peaceful and humbling experiences of my life just to stand there and walk around a bit.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
It's so eerie in Gettysburg. Especially on the field of Pickett's Charge.

Damn, it was just about one of the most peaceful and humbling experiences of my life just to stand there and walk around a bit.

i love it there. just walking around and thinking about all the people that fought and died there is crazy. i love just roaming around the battle fields and reading the info they have posted about the battle.

of course no visit to Gettysburg is complete without visiting Devil's Den. that led me to recreating this famous photo:

and my version:

it resulted in me getting a little wet and muddy, but i think it was worth it.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I've been to the moon.

i've been to alpha centauri
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by daytripper75
i was just there yesterday. i love it there. i'm a huge history nerd so its like being at heaven's gate.

Fixed.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
This was a world where no human could live, hotter than the planet Mercury, its atmosphere as poisonous as Saturn's. At the heart of the fire, temperatures easily exceeded 1,000 degrees. Lethal clouds of carbon monoxide and other gases swirled through the rock chambers.

Quote by heaven's gate

ic(andliek)wutudidthar

When I posted it, I just sat there looking at it, laughing.

I'm so fucking witty.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Heard of it and been there.
It's pretty neat.
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
I got back around 7ish, and i must say, it was a pretty cool place. The nearly 3 hour drive, i could have done with out.

The original road going into town, Rt. 61, is and is indefinitely, closed. Upon walking over the massive mounds of dirt and walking for what seemed like 1 mile down it, you began to see massive, and i mean MASSIVE buckles in the road. Eventually you could see steam rising out to the center of the road. It's a shame all of the graffiti kinda kills the awesomeness a bit. lol

Once you pass the cemeteries, the 3 being the oldest man made things in the whole area, you start to see a trail to the left. Once we went up, and i do mean UP, the narrow trail, it seems as if you are surrounded by mounds of smoking coal. It was only here that i could smell the strong scent of sulfur.

A lot of the side roads are blocked off or dead ends now. And the amount of trash, graffiti, old tires, and all around junk, you can really begin to see what a shame it is; such a beautiful country town, not only accidentally destroyed by fire, but destroyed by man purposefully.

If it were closer, i would be up there A LOT of the time, just to sit and relax or think because it is SOO damn peaceful.
Ibanez AEL 12-string