i was hanging out with my teacher today(hes into guitars) and he told that i should try the Digitech RP90. my question is should i get this or just say screw it and pay an extra $100 for a Line-6 POD 2.0 or something else

Next purchase: Peavey Vypyr 30 Combo Amp
Stay away from Digitech Multi-effects. There is no trailing between effects, which means you cannot use any sorts of loud/soft dynamics, nor can you turn on an effect for only parts of a song. If you're going for something really cheap, Digitech is not the way to go.
if you're willing to dish out a couple hundred, the boss "gt" multieffects series are very worth the price

i believe the new gt-10 goes for a good 400 on ebay!!
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Stay away from Digitech Multi-effects. There is no trailing between effects, which means you cannot use any sorts of loud/soft dynamics, nor can you turn on an effect for only parts of a song. If you're going for something really cheap, Digitech is not the way to go.

Wait, what do you mean "trailing"? As in the delay between switching effects? Cuz there is one. Its a tad annoying.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
PODs are ok
but no multi-effect is better than individual effects
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Quote by JungIe
Wait, what do you mean "trailing"? As in the delay between switching effects? Cuz there is one. Its a tad annoying.

No trailing means your signal won't carry on from one preset to another; there is a gap between presets and it renders them utterly unuseable, whether you're talking about an RP-50 or and RP-300.
Quote by enemy120
PODs are ok

You'd be surprised at what PODs can do. They are certainly better then every digitech individual pedal i've ever heard and most Dan Electro. Once the individual pedal gets up into the $100 range i'll agree, but not until.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Multi-effects are definitely not worth the money, imo. You will never use the majority of the effects that they offer and you will get bored/tired of it after a few weeks of playing around. Also, multi-effect units generally offer low quality effects.

I say you are better figuring out which effects you actually need and going with individual pedals.
Multi effects can be handy (and much cheaper) depending on what you get. Right now I'm saving up for a Korg AX1500G, and I'm really excited for it. Right now I have a Digitech RP300, which can be fun to play around with, but I would never seriously gig with it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Multi-effects are definitely not worth the money, imo. You will never use the majority of the effects that they offer and you will get bored/tired of it after a few weeks of playing around. Also, multi-effect units generally offer low quality effects.

I say you are better figuring out which effects you actually need and going with individual pedals.

come on man, are you for real? i own a bunch of single pedals and an ME-50. i use all of my pedals as well as almost every effect on the ME-50. the ME-50 has a tuner, some really sweet delay, some unique distortion sounds, and a bunch of other things that aren't bad at all. granted you're not getting the greatest wah or whammy pedal, you can't say it's all bad. you get what you pay for though. a 200 dollar digitech is probably garbage, but the higher end boss units that go for like 500 are AMAZING. sounds like you've never played a decent multi-effects unit.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Stay away from Digitech Multi-effects. There is no trailing between effects, which means you cannot use any sorts of loud/soft dynamics, nor can you turn on an effect for only parts of a song.
My Digitech GNX would take exception to that. You can turn on and off any of the stompbox or modulation FX, plus switch amp channels on the fly with no gliches.

Sorry, but that too much of a generalization. There are plenty of bad sounding individual pedals.

White-Trash Wil, if you are in the US then start watching Craigslist for a deal. I've owned many multifx units for free (or made money) after turning them around. That includes a GT-8, Pod XT, GNX3, GNX3000, and a Korg AX1500G. Units that have more pedal switches allow you turn toggle individual FX in real time. Units like the RP90 only allow patch switches.
digitech rp-500 is better that the boos multi effects with NO trailing. now the rp-1000 is out but don't think it is worth the money
The low end digitechs suck... all the effects are way over the top and completely unusable... great to make funny alien type sounds but thats about it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I had a line 6 pod and I hated the damn thing. I sold it and bought a digitech GNX and it is everything I ever wanted and more. I got a GNX3 for around 140.00 on Ebay and sold my Line 6 for 350.00 and am alot happier. Go Digitech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
The low end digitechs suck... all the effects are way over the top and completely unusable... great to make funny alien type sounds but thats about it.

you are so correct that it isn't even funny.

i have an digitech rp250 and it does exactly what you said - makes a few funny sounds but nothing else special at all. all the distortion on it does is add exaggerated gain. in fact, almost all the sound are just extremely exaggerated. the wah is funny to play around, though.

i haven't gotten around to trying a higher-end digitech, like the rp 500 or 1000, but i would like to see if either one is really worth it.
veXxis, if you think the RP250 is that bad then it's unlikely you'll like the RP500. Multifx take work to get your tone right. The presets are rarely satisfactory. Also they won't make bad playing sound good.