hey UG, it's been awhile. i'm here to ask for opinions on this guitar my friend wants to get. i told him that he should get a better amp first, but he's very resistant and stubborn. i told him that the guitar itself wasn't going to make him a tonal masterpiece, but he doesn't give a ****, but i need your take anyways on it. here's the link. i've never heard or even seen zebra pickups before, so i have no clue how they sound. :/ here's the link: Dean Z-X Electric Guitar

any input is appreciated, as long as he gets high output.

punny, i know.
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
Low end dean model.................*douche chills*

I'd direct him towards another brand if I were you.The quality of Deans low end stuff is pretty bad.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Low end dean model.................*douche chills*

I'd direct him towards another brand if I were you.The quality of Deans low end stuff is pretty bad.

This does stay true for most Deans but I tried this guitar and it's actually felt decent. Good for the money in my opinion.

Not that you did anything wrong, but try using the search bar, it may help you find some more info on the guitar. That's what I always do it's it seems to pay off.
alright man, i'll give it a shot. what other brands would you suggest? i read the reviews on guitar central and everybody gave it 5 stars and seemed satisfied, but i'm guessing they could be newbies at guitar. i mean, one of them said they had a spider II 15w, so I guess that could be saying a lot. :/
-George Szell
"Zebra" pickups means the color of the pickups not the model of the pickup

tell your friend to browse UG for a week, to read the advice given here and then make his decision. if he still wants the guitar, let him have the guitar, when he buys it and realizes that it didn't do anything for him tonal wise he'll feel sorry he bought it and life will go on.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
This does stay true for most Deans but I tried this guitar and it's actually felt decent. Good for the money in my opinion.

Not that you did anything wrong, but try using the search bar, it may help you find some more info on the guitar. That's what I always do it's it seems to pay off.

okay man, i'll just leave it up to him. and yeah, i COULD search it on google and be another cog in the big google machine, or i could go to my trusted, loyal friends at UG for their input. :P
-George Szell
Quote by Waterboy799
"Zebra" pickups means the color of the pickups not the model of the pickup

tell your friend to browse UG for a week, to read the advice given here and then make his decision. if he still wants the guitar, let him have the guitar, when he buys it and realizes that it didn't do anything for him tonal wise he'll feel sorry he bought it and life will go on.

ahh, yes, i was figuring that about the pickups, but it never stated what model they actually were, so i assumed that was brand name. :P. and yeah, i'll just wait 'till he gets it so i can say "told you so."
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
alright man, i'll give it a shot. what other brands would you suggest? i read the reviews on guitar central and everybody gave it 5 stars and seemed satisfied, but i'm guessing they could be newbies at guitar. i mean, one of them said they had a spider II 15w, so I guess that could be saying a lot. :/

Most reviews on low end guitars should be ignored because the majority of them come from beginners who think whatever gear they have is the best thing ever.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

true that. alright guys, so what do you think he should get? he plays metal, rock, punkish type stuff, and clean stuff. oh and a lot of ACDC, and he's in our band, so it's not for a bedroom rockstar. :P
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
true that. alright guys, so what do you think he should get? he plays metal, rock, punkish type stuff, and clean stuff. oh and a lot of ACDC, and he's in our band, so it's not for a bedroom rockstar. :P

What's his budget? What amp does he use?

i'll ask his budget, but his amp is some ****ty brand i've never heard of before. like Raven or something like that. :S
-George Szell
and budget is like around 200-400 err something like that. :S
-George Szell
any help? or are you googling like a mad man?

and what's yer take on an ibanez? i don't really care for them, but he just asked about one.
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
any help? or are you googling like a mad man?

and what's yer take on an ibanez? i don't really care for them, but he just asked about one.

Ibanez makes good low end guitars,as long as you avoid anything with an edge III on it.Tell him to look at an rg321.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Ibanez makes good low end guitars,as long as you avoid anything with an edge III on it.Tell him to look at an rg321.

thank you! that's actually a beautiful guitar! i'm thinking about getting even.
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
thank you! that's actually a beautiful guitar! i'm thinking about getting even.

It's a great workhorse and mod guitar.If you get it set up good and put some new tuners and pups on it then it'll play and sound like a beast.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It's a great workhorse and mod guitar.If you get it set up good and put some new tuners and pups on it then it'll play and sound like a beast.

That's a good suggestion, but i've heard horror stories about ravens and i think an amp change would be better than a pickup change.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's a good suggestion, but i've heard horror stories about ravens and i think an amp change would be better than a pickup change.

yes, but trust me, he thinks he's always right and a new guitar will resolve all his little problems. he's set in stone about a new guitar first. he's an idiot, i know, but hell, if he's going to do it ass-backwards, he might as well do it the right way the wrong way. :P i mean, anything's an upgrade. he has a raven amp and a squier 'tar. he needs a WHOLE new set up!
-George Szell
Quote by Pr0gNut

oh, and just out of curiosity, what are your favorite pups to get a clean sound, a rock sound, a bluesy sound, and a screeching metal sound? like, a really versatile pup?
-George Szell
I got the ML Version for my g/Fwhen she wanted to learn. I was surprised at how good it was for the money. No 79 series, but great for $250

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Z-Electric-Guitar-w-Matching-Headstock?sku=511857&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=48138296
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
oh, and just out of curiosity, what are your favorite pups to get a clean sound, a rock sound, a bluesy sound, and a screeching metal sound? like, a really versatile pup?

In a six string? A Dimarzio D-sonic,Steve's Special,or Tone zone in the bridge with an Air Norton,PAF model,or the Steve Morse signature neck pup in the neck set up with coil splitting.Those sounds also have a lot to do with your amp and EQ settings as well.Nothing is decided by one aspect of your rig,a good rig will have gear that compliments and works off the other pieces in the rig to create an overall tone.The guitarist also has a lot to do with it,and experience and knowledge are always helpful.

Quote by Pr0gNut
In a six string? A Dimarzio D-sonic,Steve's Special,or Tone zone in the bridge with an Air Norton,PAF model,or the Steve Morse signature neck pup in the neck set up with coil splitting.Those sounds also have a lot to do with your amp and EQ settings as well.Nothing is decided by one aspect of your rig,a good rig will have gear that compliments and works off the other pieces in the rig to create an overall tone.The guitarist also has a lot to do with it,and experience and knowledge are always helpful.

thank you. i have the knowledge, a little more than a year of playing, and a terrible amp, soon to switch to a Vypyr 60 or something of the like. nahhh, or i might just go full tube. any suggestions? and yes, i know, a year isn't very long, but i'm a quick learner.
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
thank you. i have the knowledge, a little more than a year of playing, and a terrible amp, soon to switch to a Vypyr 60 or something of the like. nahhh, or i might just go full tube. any suggestions? and yes, i know, a year isn't very long, but i'm a quick learner.

I've been playing for 6 years and I'm finally getting towards a "professional" level rig with my stuff.The mesa and Carvin I'll be ordering soon will give me all I need for gigs and recording,a long with my JSX combo and XXX half stack.

Being the tube snob that I am,I think you should skip SS modeling and go for a real deal tube amp.Depending on your budget you can get some very nice amps on the new and used market.My first real tube amp was a Peavey JSX combo,which IMO is one of the best amps in its price range for versatility.There's also hard rock and metal amps like the 5150 and 6505,then there's budget and mid-level tube amps like the B-52 AT series and the bugera line of amps.I got my JSX in mint condition on the used market for 900 USD,and I've seen them go for less.I think it'd be better for you to save up and get something that you can use for a long time instead of just getting something that will be a marginal improvement and that you'll eventually want to replace.

I've actually seen the ZX used by Bitch Alert and Jucifer, but do you want to use the same guitar as a girl? Damn right you do. There are other, better choices out there, but it is by no means a bad guitar- I liked what I heard/felt when I played it.
i have one
got some time for the issues? here we go

- can't hold tune for a second
- the tuning changes if you tilt the guitar (wtf?)
- it rattles like a mofo
- the nut came loose
- it doesn't intonate well
- i opened up the cavities and found a buttload of woodfiller

so yeah
don't get it
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
i have one
got some time for the issues? here we go

- can't hold tune for a second
- the tuning changes if you tilt the guitar (wtf?)
- it rattles like a mofo
- the nut came loose
- it doesn't intonate well
- i opened up the cavities and found a buttload of woodfiller

so yeah
don't get it

maybe they are trying to copy the new guitar hero world tour's guitar with the tuning change when you tilt. it's got an accelerometer in it, so that's my best guess. :P ahah, alright, i got him off of that track a while ago anyways. got him looking at better guitars now and i even got him to consider getting an amp first! so i'm making progress.
-George Szell