Just wondering how long it took some of you guys to acquire a decent skill with the guitar. Of course there are no limits to how good somebody can be, but I was just curious as to how fast or slow people learn. What where some of the things that gave you or still give you trouble.
1 year.

Chord transitions.... my worst enemy >:

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
well ive been playing for about six and a half months and all i can do is play the intro to "my will be done" by unearth and play "pestilence" by the faceless.
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
1 year.

Yea I have trouble with those.

I've been playing for roughly 3 months. Pull offs, and just speed in general is tough right now. But I'm taking lessons, which help a lot.
Quote by tknick90
Yea I have trouble with those.

I've been playing for roughly 3 months. Pull offs, and just speed in general is tough right now. But I'm taking lessons, which help a lot.

Pull Offs were tricky, but I got them down within 2 months.

Speed will come when your hands become used to your guitar. I played at 60-80bpm for almost the entire year, only recently breaking 120bpm. (I wasn't focused on speed, I still am not. But I figure if I can play it accurately at 120bpm, I can play it accurately at 108bpm, or 75bpm)

You'll gain speed with practice, pull offs you just need to learn how to properly pull off.

I can do the chords, but most transitions are really slow for me unless I just sit there practicing it for half an hour.

/and I like keeping my practice EFFICIENT but FUN, something that practicing the chord transitions just isn't for me.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
if you work really hard then around 8 months and you will play almost decently (well... not really) but you could play some really simple rhythm.
Once you can alternate pick without even thinking about it your kind of ok... sort of
it all depends on how much you practice
...Your Mom...

GEAR:
Schecter C-1
Ovation Celebrity CC44
Line 6 Spider III 2x10 120 watt (ugh...)
Johnson J-Station
Bunch of Danelectro Pedals
I practice for 1-2 hours a day.

I cad do pull offs but I seem to struggle with them in the middle of a song or rhythm.
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
1 year.

4 Months....Same here.
Never practice them that much though, so it's pretty much my own fault.
My first six years or so, I think I played maybe once a month for about an hour. I knew the open chords and a few single string riffs.

I took it seriously as a teen, and accomplished a good deal in a year (around 1995). Unfortunately, I hit "the wall" and never really got better than intermediate til about a year ago. I broke the wall by doing 3 things.

1. Jammed a bit on a bass with some friends that owned a music store. We have an abundance of guitar players, and we play simple bluegrass/gospel stuff that is just a "root, fourth" progression, but unlocking the fretboard on the bass helped clarify what was on the guitar.
2. Bought a GNX4 and a telecaster and play with the drum machine all the time. I can plug headphones into it and play without disturbing anyone, so my practice time went way up.
3. Learned more about theory. I had always studied a bit, but stumbling upon the "CAGED" pattern and learning pentatonic major and pent. minor scales helped a ton.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break