The drummer can always be heard over just about everything. I have a 100 watt Windsor half stack and if I'm at around 4 o' clock or so I can hear myself but anything below that and I'm pretty much drown out. The other guitarist uses a 100 watt MG and he has to turn all the way up and I can barley hear him. The bass has never really been a problem, but the vocals and keys get drowned out as well. I know it's the room because when we play gigs we can hear everything just fine without having to compensate so much with the amp volumes. Hell, even when we play ****ty basement parties and outdoors we can hear everything fine. Anyone else have this happen, suggestions??? Finding a new jam space isn't really an option unfortunately.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
how are you amps facing and how are they mic'd?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Get your drummer to play more quietly, but blankets on the toms, make him use different sticks, do what you can.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Bostonrocks

Most bands dont mic their amps at practice im sure..?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
^ some do, I do.

Acdc I got an offer for a Brand new Limeted Edtion blues junior with upagraded speaker and NOS tubes I'm really thinking about it and it's in TWEED
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
^ some do, I do.

Acdc I got an offer for a Brand new Limeted Edtion blues junior with upagraded speaker and NOS tubes I'm really thinking about it and it's in TWEED

I am intrigued. Are you running through a PA, or into headphones or what? It'd be cool to hear myself better at practice.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Get your drummer to play more quietly, but blankets on the toms, make him use different sticks, do what you can.

He's really not a hard hitting drummer. The music we play for the most part is pretty laid back and chill. Our drummer is pretty set on using Vic Firth something or other for sticks. Seems kind of closed minded I guess but I really don't have any room to talk because I won't use anything but a .50mm pick.
Quote by Bostonrocks

They're not mic'd. We actually don't have a PA, our singer goes through a mixer into a pair of powered speakers. The amps are the same as they would be during a gig, behind us. Only difference I can think of is that there is a wall behind them where as at gigs there would be a curtain but my cab is closed back anyway.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^ Two things. One- a mixer into powered speakers is a PA system. Two- you should have everything in a circle facing in towards the center (more or less). having the amps in a row facing one way is a terrible idea.

Can you MS paint the layout for us? I actually just took a test yesterday where I had to map out a recording space for the best sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Mar 6, 2009,
yeah we just set up our gear and mic it into a mixer and PA

Yeah don't face the amps like a wall, bad idea
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Make sure the drummer is playing as hard as he will live. No use practising half assed or the live show will be all over. Assess whether he NEEDS to hit hard in songs.

Next look at your tone and your guitarists tone. I've played with my halfstack Marshall tube amp and my mates Marshall MG both 100watts and half stacks. His one cut through fine and both were turned up (not full ball, but you get the idea). So learn how to use the amps too.

Change your amp positioning as others have said. Also, do you wear ear plugs. Get proper professional ear plugs. You don't need the moulded ones, but the $40 or so ones is perfect. Stick them in right and you'll hear everything nice at a lower volume, then if you actually are playing loud and you need to play loud to cut through then you won't f*ck your ears.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
+ ten million

^^
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era