I saw a thread like this yesterday when some body asked how good they're getting at guitar and I would really like to know too. I got my guitar on Nov. 28th '08 and I know know the following and am self taught no help at all.

Stuff I know:
Come as you are (Full)
Heart-Shaped Box (Progress)
Mad World (Full)
Enter Sandman (Beginning of the song only)
Smells Like Teen Spirit (Most of it... I gave up when I could mute notes. )
Acouple more parts to songs I forgot.

I know a couple, ummm, tricks? I forgot what you would call them

I know:
Bending
Vibrato
Sliding
Palm Muting

What I need to learn:
Finger Muting
Hammer Ons
Pull-offs
Up Strums

Anything else? All help I really need on what I need to know and what ever you think/know I need to learn. Any links to lessons would be great and much appreciated. Tips are also welcomed and awesome. I have plenty of time to practice a day if you needed to know that for some reason.

Edit: I've never really understood Harmonixs and scales and stuff like that.... So any help with that would be great too.
Last edited by RAAAGE at Mar 6, 2009,
looks like you're progressin pretty well. idk why you couldn't learn Smells like teen spirit tho? i might suggest learning killing in the name of by rage against the machine, besides the solo, its a pretty fun beginner song.
Last edited by reelbigfish2020 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by RAAAGE
I saw a thread like this yesterday when some body asked how good they're getting at guitar and I would really like to know too. I got my guitar on Nov. 28th '08 and I know know the following and am self taught no help at all.

Stuff I know:
Come as you are (Full)
Heart-Shaped Box (Progress)
Mad World (Full)
Enter Sandman (Beginning of the song only)
Smells Like Teen Spirit (Most of it... I gave up when I could mute notes. )
Acouple more parts to songs I forgot.

I know a couple, ummm, tricks? I forgot what you would call them

I know:
Bending
Vibrato
Sliding
Palm Muting

What I need to learn:
Finger Muting
Hammer Ons
Pull-offs
Up Strums

Anything else? All help I really need on what I need to know and what ever you think/know I need to learn. Any links to lessons would be great and much appreciated. Tips are also welcomed and awesome. I have plenty of time to practice a day if you needed to know that for some reason.

That's something you should really focus on. There is a huge difference between being able to play something, and being able to play it well. I can't hear you play those songs, so I can't say how you play them, but just keep in mind, there is a fine line between being able to play something, and being able to play it well.

Anyway, on to upstrums. The reason I say it's so important is because alternate picking is extremely important. Alternate picking allows you to play a song smoother, because your right hand can do so much less work and give the same result. And also, I would call these more "basic techniques" more than anything.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
looks like you're progressin pretty well. idk why you couldn't learn Smells like teen spirit tho? i might suggest learning killing in the name of by rage against the machine, besides the solo, its a pretty fun beginner song.

Because I absolutely suck at doing finger muting and that song conatins quite a few of them. And thanks, I'll check it out.
Quote by Dragonblood21
That's something you should really focus on. There is a huge difference between being able to play something, and being able to play it well. I can't hear you play those songs, so I can't say how you play them, but just keep in mind, there is a fine line between being able to play something, and being able to play it well.

Anyway, on to upstrums. The reason I say it's so important is because alternate picking is extremely important. Alternate picking allows you to play a song smoother, because your right hand can do so much less work and give the same result. And also, I would call these more "basic techniques" more than anything.

I would say I play them decent. I def could get better though.

Yeah I know. That and finger muting are my top priority right now that I'm trying to learn. I just can't get good at them.
The advice by Dragonblood21 is golden. I started when I was nine and was taught by my father, who plays bluegrass almost exclusively. He told me to use only downstrokes. Years, years, passed before he clarified that he didn't mean never use alt picking, just on that one particular song. I went through years of playing out of time and some pretty hard stress on my forearm resulting in pain and soreness after an all-day jam before the internet hit big and I learned better.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
The advice by Dragonblood21 is golden. I started when I was nine and was taught by my father, who plays bluegrass almost exclusively. He told me to use only downstrokes. Years, years, passed before he clarified that he didn't mean never use alt picking, just on that one particular song. I went through years of playing out of time and some pretty hard stress on my forearm resulting in pain and soreness after an all-day jam before the internet hit big and I learned better.

I'm already practicing them.

And sorry to hear that.

Anymore advice people?