Let's say, hypothetically, I finally found what I was looking for: a Les Paul without a gloss finish on the neck, a Les Paul Ultra. Aside from what my aim is for a sound comparison, I'd much rather hear your opinions on how it is, no matter what genre of music or range or style you play. Apparently with one pickup basically at the bottom of the fretboard, it's suppose to have a bit of an acoustic sound? Ehh? Anyways, if I get it I will probably get a used one.

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra: Yay or nay?!
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
They're supposed to be really good values, and good quality guitars all around.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Yep, the pickup at the end of the fretboard is similar to a piezo pickup, which will give you an acoustic sound. The ultra is a fairly good guitar, so yay for me.
I've looked at several. The ones that played well were good guitars but, unfortunately, they were all finished pretty poorly.
They're a good value and a nice guitar,but as with all Epi/Gibson models you need to go and play a bunch of them and select your model by hand,because the quality can be hit or miss with them.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
They're a good value and a nice guitar,but as with all Epi/Gibson models you need to go and play a bunch of them and select your model by hand,because the quality can be hit or miss with them.

Yea, but with gibson i guess thats a given

i say yay
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by littlephil
Yep, the pickup at the end of the fretboard is similar to a piezo pickup, which will give you an acoustic sound. The ultra is a fairly good guitar, so yay for me.

whatever you're smoking, I want it.

TS. The Epiphone Ultra is a nice little guitar. Not my style, though. The weird contouring and wieght reduction isn't my game on an LP, but for others it is. The stock pickups are gonna be ok, but I would recomend a replacement set for it. My advice would be to find one in a local store to check out, just to make sure that you like. As far as the "acoustic tones" no. It's loaded with two humbuckers, so, it's not going to be giving you acoustic tones. It can give you good, thick cleans, but it's not going to sound like an acoustic guitar.

Now, the Ultra II, on the other hand, has a single coil neomag pickup in the fretboard. While that gets you more chime, it really doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar, just more chimey and clear. It's essentially a magnetic pickup for an acoustic guitar that they slapped on their. That combined with the body routing does get you an "it almost sounds kind of like an acoustic guitar" sound, but it's not that spectacular of a feature.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^ Wow, that is awesome advice. Now what amps give a nice clean tone? I'd probably get this amp new, I'd only be willing to spend about $250 at the most. Thanks for the help so far!
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
^ Wow, that is awesome advice. Now what amps give a nice clean tone? I'd probably get this amp new, I'd only be willing to spend about $250 at the most. Thanks for the help so far!

if you run the neomag through an electric amp, it's gonna sound more like an electric guitar, if you run it through a full range amp, like a PA, Keyboard amp, acoustic amp or even and bass amp, it'll give you a little more of an acoustic tone. The neomage setup is also a stereo setup, so, it's not exactly simple to run it into a single amp with the HBs. I'd recomend using an amp meant for an acoustic guitar to get more "acoustic" sounds from the ultra II.
You are going to buy a $600 guitar used to save some money, smart. Why buy a amp new then? It's the same thing, you save when you buy used.
Here's a good amp for everything shy of metal. It'd probably need a Bad Monkey to drive to harder stuff but with that, it's still in the $250 budget. Good luck.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/msg/1022602265.html
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
You are going to buy a $600 guitar used to save some money, smart. Why buy a amp new then? It's the same thing, you save when you buy used.
Here's a good amp for everything shy of metal. It'd probably need a Bad Monkey to drive to harder stuff but with that, it's still in the $250 budget. Good luck.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/msg/1022602265.html

I personally prefered their Blue model over the Valve special. As far as the drive goes with those epiphones, they break up pretty nicely and the Blue Custom (I think that was the model) had wonderful, thick break up when you pushed it. An OD pedal isn't necessary with it, but it would help. But, yeah, the Epiphone tube amps are great for the money, but they tend to lack a good, loud clean. They drive really well, though.
Yeah I probably should have explained that budget better. The reason why I'd take a guitar from ebay is because I can see if there'e any problems at all with it, but an amp you just have to take the sellers word for it that it works just fine. I just think that it' be safer buying a guitar over an amp used online. Anyways, that's my two cents.

Thanks for finding an ad that's kind of close to me too
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Yeah I probably should have explained that budget better. The reason why I'd take a guitar from ebay is because I can see if there'e any problems at all with it, but an amp you just have to take the sellers word for it that it works just fine. I just think that it' be safer buying a guitar over an amp used online. Anyways, that's my two cents.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. Although I've never bought a single amp new, I have been able to play them before buying them. With guitars, it's pretty simple and inexpensive to fix if there is an over looked problem, but amps are a bit harder. I would suggest buying used, but would suggest checking out stores. What area are you in?
Quote by Helbent Revenge

I prefer clist to ebay just because I can try something before I decide to hand over my hard earned dollars. For bedroom practice and occasionally jammin out with friends the amp I posted is ballin for $200. With a Bad Monkey in front if it, it's classic rock all day and night friend. Good luck.

Edit: I prefer the blues custom as well, but his budget is $250 for the amp. And he's in the Spokane Wa area. Not a lot of used options abounding for $200 in the decent tube combo realm.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 6, 2009,
I would absolutely love an Epi LP Ultra-II. Shame they have gold hardware else I'd get one.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by gregs1020
I prefer clist to ebay just because I can try something before I decide to hand over my hard earned dollars. For bedroom practice and occasionally jammin out with friends the amp I posted is ballin for $200. With a Bad Monkey in front if it, it's classic rock all day and night friend. Good luck.

Edit: I prefer the blues custom as well, but his budget is $250 for the amp. And he's in the Spokane Wa area. Not a lot of used options abounding for $200 in the decent tube combo realm.

ahhh... true. Spokane's kind'a bufu for good used stuff. If he were near Chi-town, I've got a list of stores the length of my arm to check out for good used deals on amps. Shame....

Yeah, those Epi amps do have amazing tone for their prices, I should point out my qualms with them... Going back to their Galaxy amps (even the electars before that) they've always had bad humming issues, usually a simple fix by throwing a ground on some part I can't recall right now. I've also come to understand that their tube sockets in the larger models (like the Blue Custom and Galaxy 30) can become loosened with extensive use. It's not a huge issue, but it's annoying to here the tube rattle when you're close to the amp. My vox does the same thing and 4 techs couldn't find a way to solve it without replacing the tube sockets (and that'd cost an arm and a leg) so I lived with it. It's really only noticible when you're behind the amp or close enough to here the sound coming up from it. It doesn't destract from the life of the tubes (mine's been doing it for 6 years, and in those 6 years, I'm only on my 3rd set of tubes). The other thing about the Epi's is the speakers blow. They're not terrible speakers, but a swap to something nicer really opens up the sound. Same with the tubes. The tubes they used to use were just god awful and their preamp tubes sounded sterile compared to a nice JJ tube (that's the only tubes I'll touch anymore). For the money, though, they're great amps. Modders dreams, too. I'm not sure how much of an issue the tube rattle is with the Valve series, though. I'm not sure they produce enough volume to really cause that issue.

The Epiphone ultra-II, an Epi tube amp, a good OD pedal and a PA system can get you an amazing range of tones. You won't get "acoustic tones," but you'll get a good, chimey clean tone from that neo-mag with the PA and you'll get amazing classic rock, blues and even grunge/alternative tones with the HB's through the amp and OD. Like I stated earlier, I would suggest swapping those pups out, though. Even a set of GFS is an improvement over the Epiphone HBs, but the epi pickups will do their job until you're ready to upgrade 'em. Using a coil tap/split and/or phase and parellel/single switches with the replacement humbuckers would be another way to get even more tones out of the guitar.

I mean, seriously, that guitar, some new pickups and a good amp, you'll get an amazing range of tones from it.
The area I'm in? My location on here is listed as Lewiston, ID, and Spokane is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away mostly highway, so I do go there on occasion, it's the closest Guitar Center from me.

EDIT: On the "acoustic" tone, I just mentioned it because I called a Gibson dealership and the salesman told me that the pickup being attached to the neck gives it a slight acoustic sound, I was just kind of confused by that is all.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by Helbent Revenge at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Helbent Revenge
The area I'm in? My location on here is listed as Lewiston, ID, and Spokane is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away mostly highway, so I do go there on occasion, it's the closest Guitar Center from me.

Doesn't it blow to live in bufu? I can sympathize, I live in Normal, IL. It's a 2 hour drive to Chicago and Springfield and an hour drive to the nearest guitar center (which is a tiny store!). I like the slower pace compared to the city, but I'm 2, 2 1/2 hours away from my trusted techs and repair shops and my favorite stores. I actually drove 2 hours and spent the weekend at my parents house to drop off my marshall with the tech I trust and then two weeks later did the same thing to pick it up. I gotta tell ya, though, the 3 and a half hours to pick up that amp will be worth it if you snag it.
Quote by Thomme
Doesn't it blow to live in bufu? I can sympathize, I live in Normal, IL. I gotta tell ya, though, the 3 and a half hours to pick up that amp will be worth it if you snag it.

I'm in Chi-town, hello neighbor! Yea the epi's are good starter tube amps, sure there are some issues. Any amp in that price range appreciates a speaker swap, they got to keep production costs down somehow. It's not something that's needed immediately for more starter players, but down the road it makes a nice improvement in tone. I recently swapped out the speakers in my fender and it really made a difference. Much more than I expected.

TS - tone is worth time spent gaining it. I've taken 2 buses and a train to pick up my latest used combo. Overall it took me about 2 hours, worth every minute and I'd do it again today during rush hour if needed. Good luck.
Quote by gregs1020

TS - tone is worth time spent gaining it. I've taken 2 buses and a train to pick up my latest used combo. Overall it took me about 2 hours, worth every minute and I'd do it again today during rush hour if needed. Good luck.

ahh... the good ole' CTA and/or Metra lines.... gotta love the rising prices and sketchy people.