i want to take the stock pickups out of my telecaster and stratocaster i was looking at the fender custom shop teles and the vintage coiseless for the strat but im not sure i was also looking at some of the lace brand for the strat any suggestions? i play hard rock and classic hard rock
I must say goodbye because im gonna roam this mean ol highway till the day I die
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
i havent heard of thos but ill deff check em out thanks man
I must say goodbye because im gonna roam this mean ol highway till the day I die
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
what music do you play
what amp do you have
what don't you like about your current pups
Not taking any online orders.
Peavey Vypyr 30 will NOT detect the nuances that define different pickups, it will NOT be worth putting them in Stagg instruments because there are other factors in each instrument that determine tone, pickups do NOT make as big of a difference that you think they do, and there is no "best" pickup.

You've wasted your time and ours, thankyou very much.

Tl;dr: Pickups won't be worth it. Go away because you don't know what you're talking about :\
^I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. If the TS changes from his low quality stock pickups with plastic bobbins and ceramic magnets for a set of pickups that use forbon bobbins, and alnico 5 magnets then he will hear a dramatic difference in tone. Cheap guitars can sound great with good pickups. When you change the pickups you should also change the pots too (an overlooked tonesucker) to alpha pots at the least and cts are even better.

His modeling amp may suppress some of the subtle differences between in pickups such as the difference between poly and PE wire but you can still hear the difference between plastic bobbins and forbon. That isn't a subtle change
Quote by Rock Pig
Peavey Vypyr 30 will NOT detect the nuances that define different pickups, it will NOT be worth putting them in Stagg instruments because there are other factors in each instrument that determine tone, pickups do NOT make as big of a difference that you think they do, and there is no "best" pickup.

Tl;dr: Pickups won't be worth it. Go away because you don't know what you're talking about :\

geez dude u dont hae to be so rude about it i was only asking and u didnt have to waste your time to even reply so whatever im new at the whole guitar hardware thing so i was asking if u havent noticed were in an econimical meltdown and i have a budget to stick to so i want to make what i have sound its best i was only asking sorry i wasted YOUR time
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
thank your COURDEROYEW
and to try not to wast your time i play hardrock and classic hardrock suck as sabbath, clapton, dire straits, acdc, SRV, i play around with a very large variety
i got a stagg tele and a stagg strat i have a peavey vyper 30 and a peavey cable i also use hard picks or my fingers and i use ernie ball regular slinky strings. i think this covers it all
so what hardware would you suggest?
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
Quote by CorduroyEW
^I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. If the TS changes from his low quality stock pickups with plastic bobbins and ceramic magnets for a set of pickups that use forbon bobbins, and alnico 5 magnets then he will hear a dramatic difference in tone. Cheap guitars can sound great with good pickups. When you change the pickups you should also change the pots too (an overlooked tonesucker) to alpha pots at the least and cts are even better.

His modeling amp may suppress some of the subtle differences between in pickups such as the difference between poly and PE wire but you can still hear the difference between plastic bobbins and forbon. That isn't a subtle change

Alright then. I certainly don't think that modelling amplifiers are responsive enough to actually make replacement pickups worth the money though; while a drastic change in pickups may sound different, it may well not sound "better" in the way that he hopes.
As for the cheap guitar, I agree that it can probably still sound marvellous with a nice set of pickups. I just wanted to fill up some space really. I was ranting and letting off steam.
But I still stand by pretty much everything I said.
A cheap guitar is still a cheap guitar; it could have the nicest pickups in the world but it'd be no small matter to improve the playability. It may well not be worth t in the long run.
I was perhaps being a little rude but it is still blatantly obvious to me that you have gone about this the wrong way entirely.
First of all, you never answered the crucial question; what don't you like about your current tone that you think a pickup swap will change?
well they sound to noisey like static and stuff thats y i was looking at the vintage noisles and stuff
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
Eh, I donno... to me, the hot and noiseless sets kinda take away from the tone of single coils. If you want a good SRV sound, Texas Specials are the way to go. Actually, they're awesome for everything. I have them in my Mexi Strat, and they sound great. The bridge pickup is a little bright, but it's nothing to turn you away. If you want some good blues and classic rock tones, I would suggest those. Only downside to them is that they don't handle extremely high gain well, but I don't play that way, and it sounds like you don't either.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
I still love my BK Apaches for Strat style bodies and BK Yardbirds on my Tele. One of my buddies had a set of BK Irish Tours in his Warmoth but swapped them out for Apaches within a year.

Not sure what the Stagg bodies are made of as it will have an impact on the final output but when you upgrade your guitars eventaully you can always put your BK's in your new baby. If you are on a budget they may be too pricey for you but you will not fins better single coils out there IMO.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
no lol i dont play metal and all that i stick with the stuff i think is good SRV, acdc, mabye some metallica here and their but the more toned down stuff umm aerosmith zztop, chuck berry, u suggested the texas style by fender
and yes i do plan to upgrade my guitars asap i dont like playing cheap stuff but its beter than playing nothing at all
im slowly upgrading i went to a pv vyper from a first act practice amp and OMG i love it
i still plan on getting a good tube amp tho later on

molsons golden
how are the BK's with that style music?^
and ill still check both suggestions out ill listen to some guitars with thos in them see what i think sounds better
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
It seems there are 2 very different types of pickups that you need but a mix and match set could do what you want it to.

Do you play more distorted or clean more?
Do you use a compressor or a distortion pedal the compresses your signal such as a tube screamer?
When you are playing distorted music what pickup positions do you use the most?
When you are playing clean which positions do you use the most?
well i play both i play distorted and clen not metal distortion tho more of a heavy crunch
well i use the fuzz and the tube screamer on the vyper for hendrix and stuff i use the chorus and the bc chorus i use the tremelo and the phaser i more so mess around with the octaver
but i like the sounds of the bridge pickup on clean and some distortion but when i want it to sound thicker depending ill use either the neck or the neck and middle on the strat
but ive decided the pups on the tele sound good enough but the strats are really coisy so im gonna only to those
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
This is a tricky one. The SRV type sound comes from pickups wound with formvar wire and formvar wire doesn't hold together well when you put lots of distortion on it. The better pickups for distortion use poly or PE wire but poly and PE don't have the high end chime that formvar does.

Depending on how important that SRV sound is to you I'd either go with a full set of pickups that are wound to 6.0K (ish) with poly wire and use forbon bobbins and alnico 5 magnets. The other option, if SRV tone is quite important, would be to put a 6.0K (ish) formvar pickup in the neck.

Your 6.0K poly pickups can be gotten from just about anywhere including GFS, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, tonerider, or just about any boutique. The formvar pickup would either haft to be fender custom shop or boutique. Duncan might have one too.
Quote by Rock Pig

Oh for god's sakes, you bought Bareknuckles when you were playing thru a MULTIEFFECTS! Hypocrite! Oh, and yes, they do. I am a firm believer in the fact that a pickup changes makes a difference on any amp. I'm not saying it will go from muddy tonal trash to the sound of a cranked JCM800 or JTM45 or Superlead, but there's gonna be a difference.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm gonna say that Cord knows what he's talking about.

I think duncan has something like that, you probably just need to call them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
Oh for god's sakes, you bought Bareknuckles when you were playing thru a MULTIEFFECTS! Hypocrite! Oh, and yes, they do. I am a firm believer in the fact that a pickup changes makes a difference on any amp. I'm not saying it will go from muddy tonal trash to the sound of a cranked JCM800 or JTM45 or Superlead, but there's gonna be a difference.

Woah, cool down.
Yes, I did buy BKPs. And you know what? I didn't hear any difference whatsoever (I tried to convince myself I did, but to no avail). I didn't hear any difference until I got my VK after using a stock low end Ibanez to try it out in the shop.
So when I'm saying I don't think pickups will make any difference, I'm talking from experience.
And while pickup changes will have a tonal impact on even practise setups, in my view it's rarely noticable and even when it is I don't find it worth it. I played my BKP'd Ibanez through my friend's Spider and it sounded about the same save for some clarity and high end as his stock Aria Pro.

And yes I admit I was incredibly rude in that post and apologise to whatever extent neccesary. Never had an off day? >:0
Take a look at real Bill Lawrence (Wilde-brand) pickups. You can get a set of three for less one boutique pickup in some cases.

Come to think of it, they're pretty much the original boutique pickup.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by CorduroyEW
This is a tricky one. The SRV type sound comes from pickups wound with formvar wire and formvar wire doesn't hold together well when you put lots of distortion on it. The better pickups for distortion use poly or PE wire but poly and PE don't have the high end chime that formvar does.

Depending on how important that SRV sound is to you I'd either go with a full set of pickups that are wound to 6.0K (ish) with poly wire and use forbon bobbins and alnico 5 magnets. The other option, if SRV tone is quite important, would be to put a 6.0K (ish) formvar pickup in the neck.

Your 6.0K poly pickups can be gotten from just about anywhere including GFS, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, tonerider, or just about any boutique. The formvar pickup would either haft to be fender custom shop or boutique. Duncan might have one too.

ive been looking around for pickups with alincio 5s that are wound to 6.0 ish and with the poly wire i can find it but not in the same pickup maybe im not looking at the rite ones can u give a link to them or something?
and the SRV tone isnt all that important i just want a nice classic hard rock sound
and r u saying that if i put these pickups under heavy distortion it will ruin them?
or they just wont sound good
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
Here are a few things that might work

DiMarzio True Velvet
Seymour duncan SSl-2 (vintage flat)
Tonerider classic blues

Or you could always go with a set of my hand wound swingin' warm pickups

Putting an SRV style pickup under heavy distortion gives it an out of controll buzzsaw type sound. It's actually a type of distortion that I really like but it's very very trashy and raw. Most people want heavy distorted tones to be tight and punchy and you won't get that from SRV style pickups.
a few things to notice before even considering a pickup swap:

what body wood are those stagg guitars made out of? if it's plywood or agathis, it's probably not worth making a pickup swap - it'll still sound poor due to the wood.

are they playable guitars? if you don't like the feel of them (many dislike the way cheap guitars play) then it's not worth a pickup swap because youll still want a new guitar

btw, though that sort of swap won't make a big difference through a vypyr, it's not really a waste of money if youre planning to eventually buy a tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
thanks ill check those out
ohh lol i was just wondering cuz i didnt want to mess em up
it has a solid alder body and i wont say its the utmost best guitar ive ever played but its good enough
and yes i plan on getting a good tube amp and a good fender stratocaster
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100