It's always a difficult thing to buy your first guitar - do you want to play acoustic or electric? Do you want a strat, or something a bit more unique?
You don't want to pay a lot for your first guitar, so where do you get a fair quality first guitar for a fair price? If you're buying a replacement for your first, then how do you get a good price for that rare Gibson?
We'll if you're worried about price, there's TONS of Stickey threads on that. As for acoustic or electric, i'd say it's up to your style. I, personally, would start with acoustic because it's easier to learn chords and builds finger strength.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
With such broad sweeping questions I can only advise you avoid the cheapest options. Things like starter packs are simply a way of off- loading inferior product. Have a read around similar threads here and whatever you decide, I'd say, stick with the most popular brands. If they were no good, they wouldn't stay popular for long.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What kind of music are you into? How much are you willing/able to spend?
There's my way and the wrong way.
You dont pay for a "Rare gibson" because gibsons are plain and boring
It's always better not to go alone anyway you need someone who knows a lot about guitars to go with you
Good advice , if you know someone who plays the guitar well then ask them to help you. The worst thing you can buy is the very cheapest guitars as they are like razor wire on a plank of wood and don't sound to good either. In the UK spend around £150 on the guitar and then get something like a Roland Cube amp. This will will give you a decent setup that will last you until you get good enough to upgrade. Electric guitar is easier to learn in my experience as it does not hurt your fingers as much when you first start. Alsp don't forget to buy some pics and tuner. There is alot of stuff on how to play the guitar on this website and others so you can get it from there. Youtube is also handy to give you a variety of way of playing the same song. Some are really good and some not so good.

Good luck and don't forget to practice, practice practice.
Quote by gasleak
It's always a difficult thing to buy your first guitar - do you want to play acoustic or electric? Do you want a strat, or something a bit more unique?
You don't want to pay a lot for your first guitar, so where do you get a fair quality first guitar for a fair price? If you're buying a replacement for your first, then how do you get a good price for that rare Gibson?

Well let's narrow it down some. First decide if you want to play electric or acoustic.

Acoustic: Pros: Can take it just about anywhere, relatively quiet
Cons: Strings are not as cheap as electric.

Electric: Pros: Broader range of sound, strings are cheaper, they're usually cheaper than a decent acoustic, starter packages available including amp, cable, and accessories for about $300 or less.
Cons: Need something to plug it into.

The best place to look for a guitar would be a local music store. The staff are geared towards helping you pick what's right for you. (What fits the direction you want to go.) They should be able to answer any questions you have and many stores offer books and lessons.

My first guitar was an Strat copy I bought from a friend for $100. Forget about the Gibsons for now. Focus on getting something affordable until you're certain guitar is right for you.
Last edited by strummin67 at Mar 7, 2009,