Hi,

I'm looking for low tension acoustic strings. As a play mostly blues on my acoustic, I do a lot of bends and it's quite hard with normal acoustic strings.

I also tried electric guitar strings on my acoustic but the sound is just ****

So any recomandations for "bendable" acoustic strings with low tension ?

Thanks
No, and I don't have much experience with acoustics either. My suggestion is to try downtuning a half step, whole step, or maybe more. It's certainly worth a try.

Also, if you just deal with it your fingers will build up strength and you'll be able to bend them just fine. I play with .011s on my strat and I don't have a problem doing bends on acoustic guitars.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 6, 2009,
I find my D'addario EXP Bronze Phosphor to be easier to bend than other strings.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, and I don't have much experience with acoustics either. My suggestion is to try downtuning a half step, whole step, or maybe more. It's certainly worth a try.

Also, if you just deal with it your fingers will build up strength and you'll be able to bend them just fine. I play with .011s on my strat and I don't have a problem doing bends on acoustic guitars.

Yes but medium electric (0.11-0.49) still has less tension than extra light acoustic (0.10-0.47)...

I usually play on "light" .012-.053 and i love the full sound of it but it's quite awful to bend, even with some months of training...

That's why I try to find a compromise beetween an acoustic sound with an "electric" playability

Quote by DeanRedneck
or you could man up, and build up your fingers. i play with 13s on my acoustic.

And you can bend one step right on the third fret for instance ?
lighter strings create for less tension.

when i was playing acoustics, some of my favorites were the Silk and steel.. i THINK they were by either dean markley or D'addario.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by DeanRedneck
or you could man up, and build up your fingers. i play with 13s on my acoustic.

It just takes practice. I use kindof light strings though. I tune a whole step down and I use 12- 54. Works great.
Quote by Kivarenn82
lighter strings create for less tension.

when i was playing acoustics, some of my favorites were the Silk and steel.. i THINK they were by either dean markley or D'addario.

I've used silk and steel in the past too. They are much lighter and the sound good. They low end can get mushy from them and the high end loses some sparkle but if they let you play the way you want to.

Other than that you just have to toughen up.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by slappyx
Yes but medium electric (0.11-0.49) still has less tension than extra light acoustic (0.10-0.47)...

Thats not true...

Go buy a set of Dean markley Blue Steel 9-46, 2554, Custom Light
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by CorduroyEW
I've used silk and steel in the past too. They are much lighter and the sound good. They low end can get mushy from them and the high end loses some sparkle but if they let you play the way you want to.

Other than that you just have to toughen up.

tension aside, one reason i really liked the silk and steel was that they seemed quieter than your average bronze strings. Having a fairly quiet singing voice, it kinda helped me be heard.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by sesstreets
Thats not true...

Go buy a set of Dean markley Blue Steel 9-46, 2554, Custom Light

Just go to d'addario website and check out the tensions...

Electric medium

Acoustic extra light

Thanks for all the answers though

Edit : I heard good things about DR Rare, any feedbacks on these I can't find them in any store...
Last edited by slappyx at Mar 6, 2009,