I've been trying for four years to lose some weight...
with only diet and exercise, i've lost about ten pounds in the last year...
does anyone know of anything that actually helped them lose weight?
I'm looking for something i can buy at walgreens or Target.
more excersize and healthier foods, less breads? I dont know what to tell you without a detail of what youre doing (im in the process too).
Bell peppers!

Points for reference.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Drink lots more water. By drinking the right amount of liquids (You are supposed to get roughly 3 liters, total, including whats in your food already) you will be able to kinda stay full more and wont eat as much. If you get full on water you wont snack on candy as much. Kinda like as a kid at the restaurant and your parents tell you to stop drinking so much soda because you wont have room for dinner.
Last year when I drank like 10 cups of coffee a day I lost like 10kg in like 3ish months. Probably something to do with the whole speeding up your metabolism thing... Try drinking excess caffeine =D
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Go running. I lost about 10 pounds in about 2 weeks when I ran 4 miles every other day. I gained about 5 of it back after school started to pick up again, but that's a solid fiver good and gone. And this is obvious, but don't eat anymore after you're full. Better yet, eat small meals throughout the day.
Quote by Jesstaa
Last year when I drank like 10 cups of coffee a day I lost like 10kg in like 3ish months. Probably something to do with the whole speeding up your metabolism thing... Try drinking excess caffeine =D

No way, this will mess with your metabolism so badly
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
No way, this will mess with your metabolism so badly

It just sped mine up.

Only problem with that was I was always too warm.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
It just sped mine up.

Only problem with that was I was always too warm.

All caffiene does is increase your heart rate, which would burn calories, but too much (enough to notice the calories coming off) will mess up your metabolism and could give you heart palpitations.
Quote by handbanana
by being forced to join the army (compulsory national service), i lost a little more than 10kg the past 3 months.

not having to study and the time spent on running everyday and doing strength, speed and weight training can help you lose weight.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Mar 6, 2009,
That plate is bigger than a normal god-damn one!
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Diet Pills (many kinds anyway) generally are just dust pills - they have no real effect on weight loss - they have a little benefit on your appetite, but it's more a mental stimulant which allows you to think "I'm taking these pills, so I should therefore start losing weight" - it tries to get you to trick yourself that the pills will work in conjunction with a balanced diet and exercise... when the pill does nothing, but the healthy eating plan is doing all the work.

Basically, the key to keeping a healthy weight is regular small meals, plenty of water. Cut out most sugars (not all - some are VERY beneficial), cut out fatty meats (such as lamb) and substitute for meats which contain less fat (such as fish). Eating more fruit and vegetables is good.

The main thing is, eating it in moderation. You don't necessarily have to say no to buying a Cheeseburger from McDonalds, but you should say no to eating them once every 3-4 days or whatever... Just using it as an example. This goes for the healthy stuff too. Don't try to cut out anything considered "junk" in one hit, because you'll never stick to it, unless you have the will of Chuck Norris.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Well that's my download limit gone for the month. Thanks Gargantuan.

Edit: Diet and exercise are the only maintainable methods of weight loss. You're probably still eating poorly or not exercising enough. Can you give us an idea of what you've been doing to lose weight?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Mar 6, 2009,
Laxatives. Make sure you take vitamin and mineral pills to stop malnourish-ment (that's not a word, but you maybe able to understand my meaning) though.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
As reccomended by one of my lecturers: Go to bolivia! Every time he's been hes ended up so ill and throwing up/****ting everywhere that he lost a few stone in weight. Heck, i had a sickness bug over christmas and lost 1 stone in a week.
Quote by Mootallica
Diet Pills (many kinds anyway) generally are just dust pills - they have no real effect on weight loss - they have a little benefit on your appetite, but it's more a mental stimulant which allows you to think "I'm taking these pills, so I should therefore start losing weight" - it tries to get you to trick yourself that the pills will work in conjunction with a balanced diet and exercise... when the pill does nothing, but the healthy eating plan is doing all the work.

Basically, the key to keeping a healthy weight is regular small meals, plenty of water. Cut out most sugars (not all - some are VERY beneficial), cut out fatty meats (such as lamb) and substitute for meats which contain less fat (such as fish). Eating more fruit and vegetables is good.

The main thing is, eating it in moderation. You don't necessarily have to say no to buying a Cheeseburger from McDonalds, but you should say no to eating them once every 3-4 days or whatever... Just using it as an example. This goes for the healthy stuff too. Don't try to cut out anything considered "junk" in one hit, because you'll never stick to it, unless you have the will of Chuck Norris.

TS, go here.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573981
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
The best way to lose weight is to put yourself on a 1500 calorie a day diet, with drinking water, and the occasional tea, and exercising 2-3 times a day. The first exercise in the morning should be fast paced, with lots of cardio mixed with strengthening exercises. The second exercise, just before lunch or a little bit after lunch should be more strengthening exercises, with a bit of cardio, and the third though be before dinner, or a bit after dinner and mostly strengthening exercises.

There's a program called CrossFit, it will get you into the best shape of your life, one of my NCO's uses this program to train soldiers and it's insane in the beginning, but once you get into it you realize it helps a ton. We had about 28 soldiers in the overweight program before he took over it, now there is 6. Trust me, this **** works, and it's free. http://www.crossfit.com/

EDIT: Oh! Make sure you stretch before AND after the exercises. A good reference for stretching is FM 21-20, go to the stretching section and it will explain it all in there. You can find a copy of the FM just by typing it into google. Yes, I know it's an Army Field Manual, but not everything in the Army is worthless.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Last edited by crackhutch at Mar 6, 2009,
I'm trying to drop some weight too, all i've really done so far is eat (a lot) less in a day and more healthily, drink more water and do a lot more walking and snatch the odd bit of excercie. It's kind of hard to commit when the people around you don't understand the idea of being healthy at all
Get food poisoning, you cant eat for days, i lost near on a stone
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
1. Forget calories. That may be the root cause of overweight but cutting them will just make you hungry.
2. Read 'The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet'
3 Go on Atkins as its not as severe and a bit more scientific. It teaches you to train your body to live off your fat for a while and you can eat as much as you want. You do have to drink lots of water and make sure your vits are kept up. Otherwise its simply cutting out carbohydrates like potatoes, rice, bread etc.

So, I have done 2 and lost 18lbs in a month
My wife has been on 3 for six months and has lost around 30lb so far, yet she enjoys the sort of meals she can have. Bacon & eggs? Pan-fried fish? Curry on a vegetable base? Prawns and other seafood? Coffee with cream! This is such hardship!!
Exercise does not help you lose weight. What it does is build muscle so you become stronger with more stamina. That's good. Also remember that your muscles will no longer be carrying what, a sack of coal around? You will feel so strong and fit even before you go on to exercise.
Anyone would think I was getting paid for this. But I'm just someone who has to watch the weight so why not share the best ways I've found of doing that?

Enjoy good food and cut the rubbish.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by crackhutch
The best way to lose weight is to put yourself on a 1500 calorie a day diet, with drinking water, and the occasional tea, and exercising 2-3 times a day. The first exercise in the morning should be fast paced, with lots of cardio mixed with strengthening exercises. The second exercise, just before lunch or a little bit after lunch should be more strengthening exercises, with a bit of cardio, and the third though be before dinner, or a bit after dinner and mostly strengthening exercises.

There's a program called CrossFit, it will get you into the best shape of your life, one of my NCO's uses this program to train soldiers and it's insane in the beginning, but once you get into it you realize it helps a ton. We had about 28 soldiers in the overweight program before he took over it, now there is 6. Trust me, this **** works, and it's free. http://www.crossfit.com/

EDIT: Oh! Make sure you stretch before AND after the exercises. A good reference for stretching is FM 21-20, go to the stretching section and it will explain it all in there. You can find a copy of the FM just by typing it into google. Yes, I know it's an Army Field Manual, but not everything in the Army is worthless.

This. The Navy SEALs use crossfit, and everyone knows they're in the best shape possible.

Also TS, losing weight isn't something that you can just do without working for it. If you want to be healthier, exercise and eat healthy. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but that's the only proper way to do it.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Boss61607
I've been trying for four years to lose some weight...
with only diet and exercise, i've lost about ten pounds in the last year...
does anyone know of anything that actually helped them lose weight?
I'm looking for something i can buy at walgreens or Target.

Don't eat as much.
Quote by Minkaro
Chop off your legs. They've got to count for something.

finally, a kindred spirit.
not only do you lose weight, but you can turn a profit by selling them and going on disability!
Quote by sglover34479
simpsons.
and TS, how about some shut the hell up and get to work. I've been workin on losing weight too, build muscle and eat better.

You win.
Quote by handbanana
Seriously, eating healthy and exercising are really the only ways to lose weight healthily.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything