A friend of mine asked my help to buy a new amplifier.
I've checked a couple of models, but i'd like to get your suggestions.

He wants the amp to:
- play rock, hard rock and metal;
- play in his house, alone;
- have a Marshall type of tone;
- fit the budget of 400€
(and it's got to be new; it's difficult for him to buy used).

For price references, please check the Music Store website.

So far, i considered these:
- Marshall AVT 50 X;
- Blackheart 15watt Handsome Devil 1x12" Combo
-- but i'm not sure if the Blackheart is anywhere near the "Marshall" tone he likes.

What do you think?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Horlicks
Out of those two, AVT.
There's no way a Blackheart could do metal.

Not even with a good distortion pedal in front of it?
And you don't have other amp suggestions?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Not even with a good distortion pedal in front of it?
And you don't have other amp suggestions?

AVT will sound better than a distortion pedal IMO.
Can't really get much better in that range unless you go used. There's the Vypyr but that's about it.
What makes him think he wants a Marshall type tone? Does he see the Marshall name up on stage with the big bands and say that's what I want? Because the AVT's don't have that Marshall tone that he might think he's getting.
Quote by hcsn2008
What makes him think he wants a Marshall type tone? Does he see the Marshall name up on stage with the big bands and say that's what I want? Because the AVT's don't have that Marshall tone that he might think he's getting.

No.
He wants a Marshall type of tone because he likes the Marshall type of tone.
He doesn't necessarily want a Marshall amp.
He wants an amp capable of delivering Marshall type sounds.

And if you payed real attention to my post, you'd have noticed that he didn't suggest any amp.
He asked ME for suggestions, and the AVT was MY idea.

EDIT:
Quote by bucketmark

Maybe, thank you...
Does it have the kinda Marshall tone my friend is looking for?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Linkerman
No.
He wants a Marshall type of tone because he likes the Marshall type of tone.
He doesn't necessarily want a Marshall amp.
He wants an amp capable of delivering Marshall type sounds.

And if you payed real attention to my post, you'd have noticed that he didn't suggest any amp.
He asked ME for suggestions, and the AVT was MY idea.

EDIT:

Maybe, thank you...
Does it have the kinda Marshall tone my friend is looking for?

No reason to get pissed. Because you sound so defensive I take it he doesn't even know what a marshall tone sounds like he just knows the name is written on a lot of famous guitar players amps. I doubt he could tell the difference in a Marshall and any other amp if he heard it with no name on it. Especially if he's in the market for amps in that beginner range.
I mean you can get the avt but I've never known anyone who was satisfied with one. I'd tell him to save up and get on ebay and get a real marshall. But then he still might not be satisfied. He might like a mesa tone better or something that has a lot more gain than your average marshall. Hell he might like the brutal tone of a peavey 6505 or 3120. I just get the feeling he wants a Marshall because of the name. I know you are going to say that's not the case but I'd put money on it.
I don't like AVT amps. They are tough to EQ and overpriced imo. I used to play one and you learn to hate them with time. They are not the worst amps around, but they definitely aren't good, either.

If he wants a tube amp, the only one I can think in this price range that can do metal on it's own is a Blackstar HT5.
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Blackstar-HT-5-Combo-5-Watt-1x10-/art-GIT0014184-000

Something else to look at are Vox VT amps, they do the Marshall tone nicely and can get into metal territory. They're best for rock, but metal is possible.
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/VOX-VT30-Valvetronix-30-Watt-Combo/art-GIT0014350-000
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/VOX-VT50-Valvetronix-50-Watt-Combo/art-GIT0014351-000
Quote by hcsn2008
No reason to get pissed. Because you sound so defensive I take it he doesn't even know what a marshall tone sounds like he just knows the name is written on a lot of famous guitar players amps. I doubt he could tell the difference in a Marshall and any other amp if he heard it with no name on it. Especially if he's in the market for amps in that beginner range.
I mean you can get the avt but I've never known anyone who was satisfied with one. I'd tell him to save up and get on ebay and get a real marshall. But then he still might not be satisfied. He might like a mesa tone better or something that has a lot more gain than your average marshall. Hell he might like the brutal tone of a peavey 6505 or 3120. I just get the feeling he wants a Marshall because of the name. I know you are going to say that's not the case but I'd put money on it.

Then you just lost your money.

He's a guitar player since he was 7, he's now 23 years old.
He listened to lots of amps over the years (at live gigs, friends' houses, etc.), we both hit music shops all the time when we have time off at the university...
He also listens to a lot of music.
He wants a Marshall tone because he played a JCM800 a while back and he totally fell in love with the tone.

Now, he has some money to spare, and wants a nice amp.
And since he knows that i test and read about amps all the time, asked my opinion.

I just came here to get more opinions before giving him an answer.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112