was at a gig last night - was using a laney tht was there. it was ****. pinches were awful and any lead parts i had were uyrrrrgh......
and the guitarists of the last band, both had line6 spider hd150 heads.
And as much as everyone likes to bitch... they sounded REALLY nice.
so can anyone give me reasons why theyre bad for metal.
Would a distortion pedal be the reason it sounded nice??
can anyone recommenda nice one? ;P boss metalcore sounds nice imo but are there any better?

Will check out a guitarcentre soon and get first hand xp, but i wouldnt mind some opinions.
Last edited by shuggy at Mar 6, 2009,
Personally I don't know who would say that Line 6's are bad for metal. Quite a few of the local extreme metal bands in my area cook up some awesome stuff with Spider III's and or the Spider Valves.
I play a Spider III, and yeah they sound awesome, I just use the amp's distortion and it's heavy as hell.
i dont know about the heads but my friend has a 125watt combo amp. For practicing it is cool but when the amp is cranked to play over drums , the bass and mids cut out like a ****ty stereo system. That and the ****ty effx presets are my biggest complain. I would look for another amp dude, straight up.
\\-,-// Favorite Bands \\-,-//
Chimaira, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Pradda, Poison the Well, COB, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Pantera, Metallica, Exodus, Necrophagia, Testament, Unearth
a few bands ive seen get sick sounds from line 6's.
the oens im referring to are the ones that look like they were designed by 5 year olds
i think theyre modelling amps
Quote by A Certain Death
a few bands ive seen get sick sounds from line 6's.
the oens im referring to are the ones that look like they were designed by 5 year olds

dont get what you mean? :s

Played on a few combos and theyre alright as practice amps... tone takes a while to find something nice n heavy but still nice for leadbits...

Anyone got anything on the noisegate?
Got a schecter damien6FR with EMGHz pups... squeels like a bitch at times
Quote by shuggy
was at a gig last night - was using a laney tht was there. it was ****. pinches were awful and any lead parts i had were uyrrrrgh......
and the guitarists of the last band, both had line6 spider hd150 heads.
And as much as everyone likes to bitch... they sounded REALLY nice.
so can anyone give me reasons why theyre bad for metal.
Would a distortion pedal be the reason it sounded nice??
can anyone recommenda nice one? ;P boss metalcore sounds nice imo but are there any better?

Will check out a guitarcentre soon and get first hand xp, but i wouldnt mind some opinions.

Big deal, Laney make some crappy amps as well as good ones, and even a good amp can sound crap if you have a guitarist that can't EQ for toffee.

The Spiders are junk, plain and simple, and they don;t work very well with pedals - even if they did buying an amp with all those bells, whistles and onboard distortion sounds and then STILL having to resort to buying a distortion pedal is retarded.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Spiders aren't junk its just that everyone expects these insane tones from a PRACTICE AMP. They do cleans ok but in a live situation you really should be playing tubes or hybrid tubes.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
i used one for a few shows before i got my 6505 like 2 years ago, and everytime i turned the thing on it went back to its preset settings. it was SOOO annoying because of the digital knobs and stuff, you could never really tell where everything was. it sucked.

oh, and it picked up radio signals like a mo fo.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, Laney make some crappy amps as well as good ones, and even a good amp can sound crap if you have a guitarist that can't EQ for toffee.

The Spiders are junk, plain and simple, and they don;t work very well with pedals - even if they did buying an amp with all those bells, whistles and onboard distortion sounds and then STILL having to resort to buying a distortion pedal is retarded.

never owned a guitar head myself. only gota fender 15watt frontman thing. so im clueless as to what id do with eq settings. guy halfsorted it... lows were nice and chunky... highs sounded awful -.-
maybe the other band were better than you?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Just buy a Spider then.

But watch and listen over time. Especially when you're at band practice or gigging, or just practicing at home with it cranked up. Listen to your tone degrade.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
The spiders may be ok for metal but it seems that all they do decent. All the settings, FX etc and everything still sounds like metal. Their other problem is their terrible reliability. There have been so many "my spider amp does (insert electric gremlin)" on UG. IF you were playing metal guitar in your church then maybe, but its gonna suck for acoustic. Spider amps have as much warmth as a glacier.
I got one a year agon thinking it was gonna be awesome, aside from a few clean tones, its solely for metal and hardly at that. some of the song presets are pretty cool but when you play at a high volume the it really sounds muddy. Also it seems that its awful for recording because i tried with it and it just sounded weak, no real ball to the actual sound then i did the same recording with a vox valvetronix and it sounded ten times better, i wouldnt reccomend one
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.
in some cases spiders can sound good enough for the task. I've just come back from a college rock opera production where one of the guitarists got a reasonably nice sound out of his spider, at volume, although his pick attack was very shrill and screechy, and i think he was using some external EQ. But it was as good as it needed to be for something that wasn't entirely focussed on the music as there was dancing too (hot female dancers not wearing a lot, incidentally, maybe distracted me from the tone somewhat?)

What laney amp was it? Probably one of those LX amps...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
@ stevo - in a way... you can tell theyve been at their instruments longer than us. + its different styles.

So for a first gigging amp, would this be acceptable?
I really dont care about my sound to the extent of "omg it must be valvetones"
But since they pushed the price of valvekings up but £70-£80. i thought i might aswell get a line6 and dist. pedal.
Or is a Valveking worth saving up for?
Or, would saving up and getting a Randall RH150G3Plus or a RH300G3Plus be worth it? its a big price jump... but would the wait be worth the soundquality and longevity of it?
It is. The HD147 isn't a Spider, I think.

Shuggy, patience pays off. How much is the Spider HD150 Half stack you're asking about? I imagine you could get a nice combo for the same or less.

1. You don't need a half stack. A tube combo with 50 (+) watts is hella loud.
2. There are much better sounding modeling amplifiers out there.

Have you tested out others? Like:

Roland Cube • Vox ADvt • Peavey Vypyr

I'd suggest a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Best of both worlds. Modeling and power tube sound.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by stradivari310
Isn't the HD150 not a spider?

that's the HD147. The HD150 is the "Spider III HD150"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the spider hd150 head sucks as. all other line6 amp head are pretty good. I mean the HD147, Flextone and Vetta II.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
speaking from experience i have line 6
fabulous little practice amps
but anything over volume 3 ity sounds muddy
i'd save up a little more and get the valve king
you don't want the line 6 if your doing alot of gigging
cheers guys

Can imagine i wont be getting line6 for genuine reasons... played on the 147 one before and its rly nice. heavy as hell.
Will save for either the randall or the valveking i guess

thanks!
shuggy
x
i have a Spider III HD150. It has taught me a great deal over the time i've had it. and contrary to popular belief, it can sound really great. but. eventually you hear that the tone could be better. at least i have. so i'm now saving up for a new head. but i'm going to keep the spider. Line 6 did an amazing job making something sound as great as it is with all the frills and such. nothing else really can compare in that respect. kudos to them.

maybe one reason i've liked it as much as i have, is that it's one finally one spider i'm not afraid of! :P jk

as a first gigging amp? heck, sure. you'd have a good time with it and it would do what you need it to. it's pretty darn versatile. i haven't tried a distortion pedal with it yet because the amp distortion has been enough for me. (the insane setting actually is insane...) it used to sound muddy, but that's the pickups in my guitars. once i changed those, it cleared right up and was really great. but if you get really serious about your tone and start playing a lot, you're going to want to upgrade to a different amp.