hi my names bob and ive been playing heavy metal and all its styles and i have a great thirst for knowledge of the guitar still after 3 years but i dont see much more ahead. ive masted sweep apreggios and all the fast tremelo picking stuff and speed in general but i dont know what comes next. ive read heaps and heaps that being able to sweep on guitar is what makes pro's pro's. all this modern metal not with all the screaming vocals and no time signatures to speak of guitar riffs and out of time drums to me is complete nonsense( i mean no direspect to it). i love the screams and the vocals over 80% of the time but its the music behind it. it doesnt use any scales or modes unless its the solos and even then it can be random. i find that to be the only thing left. complete randomness. ive learnt the majority of these songs and its just another song to me. jus more nonsense. what do i do? where do i go from here?
stop being a whiny emo bitch and play for the fun of it. if you don't like it then stop.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Learn a different genre, jazz, country, clasical or somthing. Your not a real pro till you can play it ALL.
You've played 3 years and you dont think you can advance any further? Silly boy, learn to play another style? You may have somewhat good knowledge and skills for metal, but how about other genres? Maybe start composing your own songs? Learn to improvise?
Trust me, your journey is just beginning...
advanced tapping....
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Learn music theory. Then take all those fancy speed playing skills and forget about them. Learn to write good songs with catchy melodies and make music that will be widely loved by the masses.

Now by this time you should unveil the master shred skills and become a household name like Van Halen.

If that doesn't work try what the guy ahead of me said.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
I don't understand half of what you're trying to say. No, you cannot master arpeggios after only 3 years of practice. I can tell, because you probably don't know anything about theory. It takes a life time.

Being able to sweep on the guitar make you a pro? Haha, I can't take you seriously! The fact that you are only 13-14 years old only shows that you have no clue. Sweep picking is only a technique, which isn't that necessary anyway.

What to do next... Learn your theory, learn how to use your theory on the guitar, learn how to make music... The list goes on and on, there's so much to do!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Lewadra
Like I said, it's just starting...

Exactly!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
hes an idiot. AN IDIOT!
Since when does the music not use scales. May i use trivium as an example? Of course. i dont care what u think. Anyways, in one of their new songs, Like Callisto to a star in heaven, The main riff is pretty much the start of a B minor scale. still think that there arent any scales used in music? wtf thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. it doesnt even seem right , writing it. ....damn
Quote by Lewadra
You've played 3 years and you dont think you can advance any further? Silly boy, learn to play another style? You may have somewhat good knowledge and skills for metal, but how about other genres? Maybe start composing your own songs? Learn to improvise?
Trust me, your journey is just beginning...

+1
also a challenge: have a friend play rhythm to a song, and you play the lead to the same song. halfway through the song, switch; you do the rhythm and he does the lead. harder than you think.
You're looking at one very, very VERY small genre of generic-band-filled music, you know nothing about the actual music, you can't decipher anything and you can't pick up anything.

No, you've barely even started. Enjoy the ride.
Cut some fingers off and go Django on our asses.
Hello, mother leopard. I have your cub. You must protect her, but that will be expensive. 10,000 cola nuts, wrapped in brown paper. Midnight, behind the box. I'll be the hyena, you'll see.
*Sprays out flames

I actually understand what you are saying. You feel your genre has nothing new. I felt the same way about a decade ago after playing finger-picked country ballads. Now that I am trying to learn metal, its like I'm starting all over. Try going in reverse from what I did: unplug everything, and play some tear-jerkers.

Or if that's not your thing, try metal on an acoustic. Click the club in my sig.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

even if you are as good as you say and can learn complex tabs what would happen if you got together was an experienced guitarist and bassist and they just wanted to jam? can you improvise on the spot?

also check out technical death. I assume that is the genre that you say has no time signature or scales to speak of because it is just going completely over your head.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Grab an acoustic and learn some fingerstyle guitar....

It'll gettcha the ladies.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
between the buried and me. they're not the most technical metal band in the world, but they're up there, and they're incredibly diverse to boot. try learning some of their stuff, ants of the sky is a really good song to start, technical and melodic and really...interesting, in general. don't limit yourself to one genre either, that's kind of fail.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
Quote by pollywaffle666
hi my names bob and ive been playing heavy metal and all its styles and i have a great thirst for knowledge of the guitar still after 3 years but i dont see much more ahead. ive masted sweep apreggios and all the fast tremelo picking stuff and speed in general but i dont know what comes next

Well, you seem to know everything there is to know, and have fully mastered the instrument. You should probably move on to something more challenging than the guitar. Try sports or something.
shred is gaudy music