I know there are some very advanced players who come to these forums who know the proper thechniques required to play guitar at a high level. i've had "pick esteem" issues for a long time now. i learned how to play guitar using a bad pick holding method and greatly wish to learn a/the correct way. so pretend i'm just picking up the guitar for the first time and you are my guitar teacher teaching me the proper way to hold a pick. what would you tell me. if you had pictures of different angles i'd love you forever. thanks for the help.

EDIT: I play shred by the way. I idolize paul gilbert.
Last edited by skaterskagg1 at Mar 6, 2009,
well it depends on what genre you mostly play. for example, if you play mostly acoustic, i'd say use your index and thumb to hold the pick, holding it at a slight 45 degree angle allowing better angles for strumming patterns and the angle of the pick, allowing for ease of picking solos. metal, punk or hardcore music, i would recommend using the middle finger and the thumb to hold the pick, holding the pick at an exact perpindicular angle to the guitar, allowing for superior control during chugging and solos. (that is, if you use a pick at all, because i find playing hardcore music difficult using a pick, so i finger pick, allowing me to slide right into improvised 6 finger tapping solos.
Quote by skaterskagg1
I know there are some very advanced players who come to these forums who know the proper thechniques required to play guitar at a high level. i've had "pick esteem" issues for a long time now. i learned how to play guitar using a bad pick holding method and greatly wish to learn a/the correct way. so pretend i'm just picking up the guitar for the first time and you are my guitar teacher teaching me the proper way to hold a pick. what would you tell me. if you had pictures of different angles i'd love you forever. thanks for the help.

There is some Youtube video where Paul Gilbert discusses how he holds the pick. You might want to track that down.

I'd suggest between the thumb and index (regardless of what you're playing), with the index finger curled inward and the pick resting mostly on the side of the finger.
From there, try holding the pick at an angle to the strings, not any particular angle, just enough to allow it to pass across the strings more easily. I point my thumb downward to achieve this angle and I change the angle of my pick often while I'm playing for a different attack on the strings and I do this mostly by extending or curling my thumb.

I'd also recommend keeping your fingers somewhat curled in as opposed to fanning them out, and don't anchor any fingers on the face of the guitar. Keep your hand free to move around efficiently. However, some people play perfectly well while doing both of these things. In fact, some people play tremendously well even with horrendous looking techniques (Marty Friedman comes to mind), so it comes down to what is most comfortable for you. You may need to deviate from the norm in order to play your way.
Quote by skaterskagg1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE
Quote by Sad But False
i really dont like the tone he gets by doing that, sounds way to scratchy. but other than his pick angle thats how i hold mine. also try different picks , it makes a huge difference.

This is a fantastic piece of advice, no correct or incorrect answer, all down to personal taste.

Don't be afraid to try many. It's taken me over 3 years to build up my range of picks.

Also, LOL at the Marty Friedman comment. I've got one of his DVDs and it just looks wrong.
Last edited by ozzysworld at Mar 7, 2009,