I play mostly death/heavy metal in a band that plays live regularly. I enjoy playing songs by bands like Opeth, Slipknot, Arch Enemy, Lamb of God, Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden and others.

So far I've been using a Digitech RP80 for effects/distortion, and I've worked really hard to create some good tones. But when the equipment is worse than usual, it just sounds like noise.

I am considering buying FX equipment near the price range of $150-250. I found a few processors online, like the Line 6 Floor Pod and Floor Pod Plus and the Boss ME-70. Also, I saw pedals like the Boss MT-2 and ML-2 and the Digitech Death Metal and TL-2. However, buying pedals would mean spending a lot.

I'm not looking for the best of the best gear, but I want something that will last, and something not too expensive.
Good metal tones that I can improve, also decent effects.

What would you recommend I buy?
well i have an mt-2 and quite love it. i would recommend it. but if i were you i would go for the ME-70
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
I normally play through a 15W Laney practice amp. When we play live, we use the amps the venue provides ... usually something like a Marshall MG100DFX.
I usually have to try really hard to get decent tone, but I see other guitarists with gear like the Line 6 PodXT Live and Floor Pod Plus sounding all right with zero effort.

Also, the RP80 is tiny, and I sometimes press the wrong button(s) and the expression pedal by mistake.

Again, something with good metal tone.
I play through a Marshall mg100fx and a Digitech GNX3. I would def. recommend the Gnx over the Line 6. I had the line 6 and played it through the same amp I have now and hated it. I sold it and bought the Digitech GNX3 Best move I ever made. There are tons and I mean tons of downloads for this pedal. It is most awesome and pretty cheap I got mine on Ebay for around 140.00
Keep saving for a new amp.
Buying pedals isn't going to improve your tone much,
its still gonna sound digital as hell.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I don't really want to buy a new amp, because carrying it around with me isn't really an option.
But I didn't really consider the GNX3 before ... does it have good amp/cabinet choices for metal?
I couldn't find it on Musician's Friend, only the GNX4 is available for $399, which is way above my price range.

Thanks, and keep the advice coming.
i used to have a line 6 pod xt live, and it sounds great (although imo nothing sounds like individual pedals )
i also had an mg100dfx, and i am sooo glad i didn't pay for it =).. multi effects sounded bad through it though. I think you're better off getting a pod xt live or a gt-10 or something like that and plugging it directly in the PA
So would that be a PodXT Live or a GT-10?
Either way, they're kinda out of my price range.
Yeah, that was the one I was looking at. Will it do everything I need it to do/