Ok huys, i got a problem. I got some money to spend but i dont know what to get. I want your opinons on the versatility/quality of these 3 guitars, the Ibanez S320, Ibanez S540S and Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR. I know nothing about the 540, except its 2nd hand and has been through a lot. The paints chipped and scratched to hell, pickups are a little rusted same with the bridge. Its only $499Aud but idk if its worth it?
Specs:

Ibanez S320:

Neck Material: 3pc Maple
Neck Type: Wizard II
Body: Mahogany body
Frets: Jumbo frets
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: ZR bridge
NeckPU: INF1
BridgePU: INF2
Price: $895

Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR:

Neck Material: 3pc Mahogany
Neck Type: Set neck w/ultra access
Body: Mahogany
Frets: 24 Jumbo
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Original Floyd Rose, NOT LISENCED
NeckPU: Seymour Duncan Blackout
BridgePU: Seymour Duncan Blackout
Price: WAS $1699, NOW $1275

Any input will be really appreciated.
Mitch.

EDIT: Scrap the 540, not gonna get it now. So its the S320 or the C1
Last edited by M!TCH at Mar 6, 2009,
I'd say go for the ''Blackjack'', whether that's ibanez or schecter you didn't say, and 'cus like most guitar companies they give their guitars numbers instead of names, it's hard to decipher without researching it myself.

The points I like on that is that it's reduced in price, so It's obviously worth more than you'll be paying for it, the pickup's are pretty decent and a good floyd rose (as I've heard the licensed ones are terrible!) - It all sound good to me.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
I'd go with the schecter and almost solely because of the quality of the hardware. ZR bridges are nice but an original floyd rose is a big plus in my book. I am not too sure about the blackouts, i've always played EMG for actives. I'd definately stay away from anything with rust on the bridge, why buy something you're going to have to fix? plus mahogany neck and body with an ebony fretboard is a pretty nice tonewood combination.
plus if i remebr right schectors use grover tuners and sadly EVERYTHING on just about any Ibanez is in house stuff, including the pickup (i know they are technically Dimarzio but unimpressive none the less) anyways i vote schecter even if the neck is a bit fatter then the wizard
is the Schecter brand new? if it is, go with the Schecter, because it seems like you would have to be put in a lot of work and money into the 540.
As much as I am a Ibanez lover, I'd say this goes to Schecter.
The INF stock pickups aren't very high quality..
blackneon and I have the same opinion. That's almost the exact thing I was going to say!

Uuh.. So yeah, Schecter, baby!
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Ibanez>Schecter I cba to elaborate as i have done in the past many times...

Yes, i've played both...
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Ibanez>Schecter I cba to elaborate as i have done in the past many times...

Yes, i've played both...

+1
schecter. id say its worth the extra price. ive played a few 320's and the picksups are ****, so youll need to switch those out with like either actives or jb/59 combo. also ive never played an ibanez that just played amazing like i have with so many schecters.

oh also its really hard/uncomfertable to play the 320 sitting down imo. thats basically why i never bought one.
Last edited by Mayonaise 812 at Mar 6, 2009,
Schecters, they just sound better IMO without messing around with it. I've played both as well, and Schecter wins hands down
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Then you haven't played any high end ibanez guitars, what did you play? some £300 RG?

ah look you have a schecter....

Any chance you're around 16 and couldn't stretch your budget any further? That's my description of most schecter owners
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Mar 6, 2009,
Schecters have amazing specs on paper.
You have to try them out however, the necks are relatively thick, you may not like them.
I love schecters/their necks though so i'd definately go for the blackjack, once i get a job I'm saving up for the non FR version of the blackjack atx :]

Quote by sharpant
Then you haven't played any high end ibanez guitars, what did you play? some £300 RG?

ah look you have a schecter....

Any chance you're around 16 and couldn't stretch your budget any further? That's my description of most schecter owners

What's wrong with schecter? They're great affordable guitars.
You don't have to shell out over 1000 for some prestige model, like you generally have to with ibanez, to get a completely decent setup, including good pickups.
Not that I hate ibanez, they're good too but it just seems like you hate schecter for no apparent reason other than that they are popular among 16 year olds? which is a pretty moot reason.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Last edited by gucio93 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by blackneon
plus if i remebr right schectors use grover tuners and sadly EVERYTHING on just about any Ibanez is in house stuff, including the pickup (i know they are technically Dimarzio but unimpressive none the less)
The tuner's on my Ibanez guitars have been more reliable than any Grover equipped axes I've had.

About the pickups... They aren't "technically," Dimarzio. They are Dimarzio. They're made in New York right along side every other pickup Dimarzio produces. The difference with the IBZ/Dimarzio pups is that you can't buy them new individually; they're only available on Ibanez guitars or used.

I'd grab an Ibanez over just about anything. If you want a good guitar for the daily grind you can't do much better.
Specwise I'd take the Schecter, but I've only tried out the Ibanez S and I didn't like the neck, but I haven' tried Schecters yet, they are supposed to be good though.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by ch0
The tuner's on my Ibanez guitars have been more reliable than any Grover equipped axes I've had.

About the pickups... They aren't "technically," Dimarzio. They are Dimarzio. They're made in New York right along side every other pickup Dimarzio produces. The difference with the IBZ/Dimarzio pups is that you can't buy them new individually; they're only available on Ibanez guitars or used.

I'd grab an Ibanez over just about anything. If you want a good guitar for the daily grind you can't do much better.

A long time ago I used to be a purely Ibanez man, I still love the necks but that's the onyl thing i like about them, I have played all kinds of Ibanez include a couple prestige models and I just can never justify the price tag even the Japan made RG prestige still uses an in house floyd rose liscened trem which as far as i am concerd for well over a grand it should damn well have an original.

Yes I am well aware they (pickups) are the same but honestly my opinion of Dimarzio PUps is pretty low. To be perfectly honest I would not go out of my way to get a schecter but in this case i would.
in the mid range for price i pick Micheal Kelly Hex/Vex if price is of no concern i'd go with musicman or a one off custom from a good botique builder like ed roman.
Get the Ibanez.
A pickup swap won't be too expensive, still cheaper then the Schecter, and IMO will be a better instrument.
I LOVE My S series now I have a JB in the bridge.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm trying to decide between the Blackjack Atx FR and an Ibanez S5470, which one should i get?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
I'm trying to decide between the Blackjack Atx FR and an Ibanez S5470, which one should i get?

Ibanez S5470 all the way.
But, I highly recommend playing them both in store, to see which one suits you best.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I have Owned Schecter and Ibanez Rgs and I would say save some money and Buy an ESP mh400, comes Stock with Emg 81/85s and the neck is smooth and fast. Plus has a Killer Paint job. It is alot darker blue than the one on the Musicians friend website. I just bought one about a month ago it was the best move I have ever made. Freakin Awesome guitar and If it were lost or stolen I will def. replace it.
I'm Deff gonna say Schecter. The sound and the quality are just so much betta on the Scheter than on the Ibanez. Sure it may cost a little more but sometime its worth the price for the quality
Well i've always been a lover of Ibanez, and i've got some money coming up so want to buy another. Now i've liked the look of the S-series and the JS series also. I went to my local guitar store and tried both out today.

The S Series i hated because the pickups got in the way of my picking hand too much (just the way i play!). I thought it was nice and fat and ballsy on tone for such a thin guitar, but the playability for me was poor.

Weirdly, the £2000 Satriani model, i thought was even worse!

It was perfectly tuned, locked and ready to rock. I rolled through some arpeggios, a couple of Gilbert tunes, did some divebombing.....and then bosh. Out of tune. I explained this to the guy and he said the tremolo on it was dodgy, and that he found this to be the case on most Satch Custom models. Also i liked the tone on the S-series more, and all i found better about the Custom was it picked up pinch harmonics better. Anyone else own/notice this with these guitars?
Quote by gucio93
Schecters have amazing specs on paper.
You have to try them out however, the necks are relatively thick, you may not like them.
I love schecters/their necks though so i'd definately go for the blackjack, once i get a job I'm saving up for the non FR version of the blackjack atx :]

What's wrong with schecter? They're great affordable guitars.
You don't have to shell out over 1000 for some prestige model, like you generally have to with ibanez, to get a completely decent setup, including good pickups.
Not that I hate ibanez, they're good too but it just seems like you hate schecter for no apparent reason other than that they are popular among 16 year olds? which is a pretty moot reason.

What about this reason?

I had one and it felt like ****e, hence why i sold it a month after buying it.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by technical death
both are good but

Unlike Ibanez, all Schecters own

Just my opinion

Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
What about this reason?

I had one and it felt like ****e, hence why i sold it a month after buying it.

Well that's really subjective, that doesn't mean they're all horrible.
You just didn't like the neck profile, that doesn't mean it's necessary to make them sound like bad guitars, you can't say the specs are bad at all on any of their guitars, especially for the price.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by blackneon
I'd go with the schecter and almost solely because of the quality of the hardware. ZR bridges are nice but an original floyd rose is a big plus in my book. I am not too sure about the blackouts, i've always played EMG for actives. I'd definately stay away from anything with rust on the bridge, why buy something you're going to have to fix? plus mahogany neck and body with an ebony fretboard is a pretty nice tonewood combination.
plus if i remebr right schectors use grover tuners and sadly EVERYTHING on just about any Ibanez is in house stuff, including the pickup (i know they are technically Dimarzio but unimpressive none the less) anyways i vote schecter even if the neck is a bit fatter then the wizard

+1. Schecter hardware is superior to Ibanez stock hardware, IMO. Schecters have become my favorite alternative to Ibanez, and are currently my go-to guitars for hard rock and metal.
Quote by blackneon
A long time ago I used to be a purely Ibanez man, I still love the necks but that's the onyl thing i like about them, I have played all kinds of Ibanez include a couple prestige models and I just can never justify the price tag even the Japan made RG prestige still uses an in house floyd rose liscened trem which as far as i am concerd for well over a grand it should damn well have an original.

at this point I was about to resopnd with "Edge trem>Original Floyd Rose" but then I read further

Yes I am well aware they (pickups) are the same but honestly my opinion of Dimarzio PUps is pretty low. To be perfectly honest I would not go out of my way to get a schecter but in this case i would.
in the mid range for price i pick Micheal Kelly Hex/Vex if price is of no concern i'd go with musicman or a one off custom from a good botique builder like ed roman.

then I read this and realised that you're either retarded or trolling.

Still can't decide either way.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
im usually an ibanez guy, but i have to say that the Blackjack is a godly guitar. Perfect neck shape, sturdy trem, just a great "feel", and top of the line pickups.

I was going to get the hardtail version until it went up in price $300

but i think its like twice as much as the S320?
Schecter... I have never played one Ibanez I like, unlike nearly every Schecter I have played...Amazing, amazing guitars.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
They're two totally different beasts. Sure you can argue that one has an OFR and blah blah blah non-prestige RGs have the edge 3, but when it comes down to it, both companies have cheap starter guitars, and you can get good ones from both if you research and pick the right one.

That being said, i think the ZR is an amazing trem. It's fairly different from a knife-edge FR style trem, but it feels great and is very responsive. The stock pickups aren't amazing, sure, but generally at that price range you won't have an amazing amp so the pickups won't make a huge difference anyways.

Also, there is no substitute for ibanez. You can get close (i think the closest is jackson), but not the same thing from another company.

TS, if you like thinner, flatter necks, i'd say get the S320. The blackjack has a thin (not quite as thin as the ibanez) and rounder neck.

Finally, what amp do you have? If it isn't a tube amp, the blackjack probably wouldn't be a great choice since it has active pickups.
I say the s5470 which is superior to that schecter, in every way except the pickups which can be changed. I have an OFR in my guitar, but to be honest i prefer the ZR2 trem. Is the smoothest trem I have ever used, and supposedly it does not suffer from the short commings the OFRs suffer from.