extensive use of harmonics
17 23%
tone
8 11%
effects
3 4%
Voters: 74.
Page 1 of 4
I am doing a college investigation on Jaco Pastorius and basically I just need to get some data based on big parts on Jaco's influence on technique and playing.
So tell me what ya picked, what genres you mainly play and how hes influenced you.
Thanks in advance!
I think his influence on my actual playing is pretty close to zilch. Exposure to Jaco did help me open up what I'm able to listen to. I don't think I could have handled anything labled jazz fusion before Jaco and now I find a fair bit that I like. He's gotten me to move further beyond the standard pop/rock fare.

I guess if anything his work encouraged me to play more with harmonics, though I don't incorporate that into a band setting really.
Jaco hasn't influenced me one bit. I find his compositions incredibly boring. This whole idea that every single bass player has been influenced by him is crazy. I think outside of the jazz realm he's almost entirely unknown, and for good reason. Ask anyone outside of bass players and I can guarantee you that they don't know who Jaco is. Hell I didn't even know who he was until about a year ago, and it hasn't changed me one bit.

I'm so sick and tired of all this undeserved praise that he gets. For crying out loud it's almost as bad as Flea

He's the Victor Wooten of the 80's. Ya its impressive what he can do, but no one really gives a crap.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Last edited by bluntfoot at Mar 6, 2009,
Calling him the wooten of the 80's isn't accurate at all.

No-one was saying "Jaco is the so and so of the 60's", because no-one did anything like it before him. Sure, by todays standards it's nothing really that out of the ordinary, but you have to think of these things in context.
I choose melodic approach, but its more of "thinking outside the box". I could also argue that for many of us, our direct influences in bass player were influenced in some part by Jaco.
Quote by bluntfoot
Jaco hasn't influenced me one bit. I find his compositions incredibly boring. This whole idea that every single bass player has been influenced by him is crazy. I think outside of the jazz realm he's almost entirely unknown, and for good reason. Ask anyone outside of bass players and I can guarantee you that they don't know who Jaco is. Hell I didn't even know who he was until about a year ago, and it hasn't changed me one bit.

I'm so sick and tired of all this undeserved praise that he gets. For crying out loud it's almost as bad as Flea

He's the Victor Wooten of the 80's. Ya its impressive what he can do, but no one really gives a crap.

the stupidity, its too much!!!! ahhhh. no but seriously, every bass player knows him, even ones who dont like him, its like the law or some sh1t. And i think you are mixing it up, since Victor Wooten is the Jaco of the 90's and 00's. As a matter of fact, Victor Wooten is heavily influinced by Jaco. How does it feel to know that, dumbass?

Also on topic : for me it was definatly the strecthes and fingerings in his songs, it really gave me a boost on my technique
I'm not really a big fan. But he did make me want to experiment with a fretless.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 6, 2009,
He was one of the players that helped me decide to defret a bass, but that's about it.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
I'm not even going to pwn bluntfoot - not worth the strain on my keyboard. You go against that status quo! Yeah! Says the guy with a Flea avatar who probably hasn't heard one note he played outside of YouTube videos or Portrait of Tracy, Donna Lee, and Continuum off his first album! Talking out of your ass ftw!

All jackassery aside - yeah, he got me into fretless and the like, but he has one HUGE impact on my playing - the concept of playing in 2 clefs at once. Drop an open E, play something high up the neck. I do that stuff all the time and in a power rock trio, it helps me get a wall of bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Taygunov
the stupidity, its too much!!!! ahhhh. no but seriously, every bass player knows him, even ones who dont like him, its like the law or some sh1t. And i think you are mixing it up, since Victor Wooten is the Jaco of the 90's and 00's. As a matter of fact, Victor Wooten is heavily influinced by Jaco. How does it feel to know that, dumbass?

I think you misinterpreted what I meant by the victor wooten of the 80's. I was implying that he was more or less a bass players player. the only people who could have possibly found him interesting were other bass players. His music ended up being essentially bass wanking.

EDIT: sorry if I'm not joining in the collective jaco dick suck but really you can't expect a relatively obscure jazz bassist to influence every player alive.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
He hasnt really influenced me, ive listened to jhim and enjoyed it, but thats it, maybe doing things differently but still.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by bluntfoot
I think you misinterpreted what I meant by the victor wooten of the 80's. I was implying that he was more or less a bass players player. the only people who could have possibly found him interesting were other bass players. His music ended up being essentially bass wanking.

EDIT: sorry if I'm not joining in the collective jaco dick suck but really you can't expect a relatively obscure jazz bassist to influence every player alive.

I think before you try to seem smart, first check out a jazz band/musician that isnt Jaco Pastorius, since i am 99.9% sure you haven't even listened to jazz before exept jaco (which doesnt really even count as a band unless you listen to weather report, which you havent, since you think hes boring). Wow i cant even go on, usually i dont get mad at idiots but now i just have a vein in my head and its about to POP. The "bass wanking" bit you wrote especially got to me, you know, with your flea avatar and all. I just cant go on
Quote by bluntfoot

Obscure... if you say Jazz bass, the genre, I bet the vast majority of people's first response is Jaco. Hell, if you say Jazz Bass, the product, his name's probably up there. Birdland was one of the most popular mainstream Jazz songs of all time. It was on rock charts. My parents even knew it. They thought it was Spyro Gyra, but they knew it.

I'm not going to delve into examples, but this is a fitting situation: before Jaco, the only fretless Fender was a Precision. Since Jaco, how many have you seen? Is that a coincidence? The man basically pioneered the concept of the bridge pickup being solo'd.

And this isn't a matter of you simply not liking the dude - half the people's responses seemed to indicate they share the same feelings. The idiocy in which you composed yourself makes it seem you're more interested in pissing people off with your opinions that simply expressing them. Style over substance.

EDIT: Jimmy Page was in the audience of a Jaco concert. Jaco noticed him and called him up to sit in. They jammed for about 25 minutes. He then said he wanted to see the best bass player of all time play - not to play with him. How is he not... as mainstream as it gets?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 6, 2009,
It was the tone, for me...my playing style isn't really like his at all, but his tone is just awesome.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by bluntfoot
Jaco hasn't influenced me one bit.

That's OK

I find his compositions incredibly boring.

That's OK too. Most people find things they don't understand to be boring.

This whole idea that every single bass player has been influenced by him is crazy.

I don't think anyone has said that.

I think outside of the jazz realm he's almost entirely unknown,

Of course he is. Point?

Ask anyone outside of bass players and I can guarantee you that they don't know who Jaco is.

What does this have to do with his contribution to music?
Ask anyone other then cellists who Pablo Casals was.
Ask some one on the street who "Bird" was. Or if the name "Corea" means anything to them. They'll probably tell you they can find it on a map.
I'm sure someone can tell me the names of the members of ABBA.

Hell I didn't even know who he was until about a year ago, and it hasn't changed me one bit.

Ahh, there you go. I mean, if you haven't heard of him till a year ago...

Undeserved? Have you changed the way a generation of musicians approach their instruments? I would guess no.
Granted, building a Buddha shrine with a Jaco head might be over the top, but he has his place. Love him/hate him, doesn't matter. He was an innovator. He took EB to a new level.

And for those who are interested... scroll down to Jaco's Donna Lee...
http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-122.html
The whole point of my post was to point out that Jaco didn't influence every single aspect of bass playing ever. Since the whole Flea as my avatar seems to be throwing everyone in a **** fit, really it's just a funny picture. I don't consider Flea to be the greatest player by any means, frankly hes mediocre.

I just wanted to point out that he isn't some golden god to be worshiped.

Edit: what's with the whole i don't like him because i don't understand it. I'm so tired of this elitist crap, why is it that when a player gets criticized it automatically means that his playing is above my head.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
He didn't influence me personally, but I would bet money that the bassists that DID influence me were influenced by him.

Quote by bluntfoot
The whole point of my post was to point out that Jaco didn't influence every single aspect of bass playing ever. Since the whole Flea as my avatar seems to be throwing everyone in a **** fit, really it's just a funny picture. I don't consider Flea to be the greatest player by any means, frankly hes mediocre.

I just wanted to point out that he isn't some golden god to be worshiped.

Edit: what's with the whole i don't like him because i don't understand it. I'm so tired of this elitist crap, why is it that when a player gets criticized it automatically means that his playing is above my head.

Woah, just because you don't worship him doesn't mean that others cannot. He did **** ton to the Funk, and the bass world. You have to give hi credit for that. Most people in the 50's didn't even know what a bass was. What do you know, people could pronounce bass in the 70's. Not the fish, I mind you.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Mar 6, 2009,
I never really got jaco. Sure, some of the stuff he did was all technically advanced and very groundbreaking (*yawn) but I never really acknowledged it as "music". All his solos and stuff was pretty boring and didn't really have a melody. At least Flea, who has influenced me, keeps his soloing fresh and melodic sounding. His playing greatly advances the sound of the band, whereas jaco's stuff was primarly a "look what I can do" kind of show to me. Sure it is all very hard to do and I'd probably never be able to do it, but if I walked into a guitar store and someone was playing jaco's stuff, I'd probably ignore the guy thinking that he's just trying to see if the bass is in tune with all the harmonics and licks that dont really have rhyme, reason or melody to them.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, but that's just my opinion. Flea > Jaco
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
All the people saying it's nothing but mindless wanking clearly haven't listened to anything other than a few youtube videos.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by KasanDude
I never really got jaco. Sure, some of the stuff he did was all technically advanced and very groundbreaking (*yawn) but I never really acknowledged it as "music". All his solos and stuff was pretty boring and didn't really have a melody. At least Flea, who has influenced me, keeps his soloing fresh and melodic sounding. His playing greatly advances the sound of the band, whereas jaco's stuff was primarly a "look what I can do" kind of show to me. Sure it is all very hard to do and I'd probably never be able to do it, but if I walked into a guitar store and someone was playing jaco's stuff, I'd probably ignore the guy thinking that he's just trying to see if the bass is in tune with all the harmonics and licks that dont really have rhyme, reason or melody to them.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, but that's just my opinion. Flea > Jaco

try listening to a video clip other than him soloing in that video from germany, and then refresh your opinion. Also, Jaco knew how to read sheet music and explored the bass world other than octaves. 1 up bitches
Quote by Taygunov
try listening to a video clip other than him soloing in that video from germany, and then refresh your opinion. Also, Jaco knew how to read sheet music and explored the bass world other than octaves. 1 up bitches

I have no idea about any "video from germany". True, I did look him up on YouTube and watched about 20 different videos because I figured that since so many people said such good things about him, he was bound to be good. He is good, and can play very well in terms of technique and theory and all that stuff. But I personally never got any form of music that didn't have a group dynamic. Personally, I think that any idiot (not talking about Jaco here) can play by himself and do a whole bunch of solos and crap on ANY instrument, not just bass. The true respect should be given to those that have a style which adds to a group dynamic. And since I've never heard Jaco play dynamically WITH a guitarist/drummer/vocalist/whatever, than I can never respect or admire him as much as Flea, because every time I watch videos of RHCP jamming, Flea and John and Chad really connect and all their parts combined create a beautiful thing. Thats why I can really be influenced by Flea, because I, as a bassist/guitarist have no desire of becoming anything even close to a solo artist. I want to be able to get together with a drummer and make music WITH that person.

Sure, Jaco is probably technically better than most other bassists alive or dead, but since I've NEVER seen a video of him jamming with a band and really creating something beautiful WITH them (not just having them be background music while he solos), I am not influenced by him.

However, if anyone cares to prove me wrong and shows me ONE video of him playing with a band dynamically, I will happily retract all the negative comments I have ever made about him.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
quite simply in no way at all. i've never really sat down and listened to any of his playing
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Taygunov you're not exactly making it easy for us to accept what you say. talking down to us and calling us dumbasses is not going to help your credibility. It's this kind of elitism that turns me completely off of anything jazz related. Get off your high horse.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
Taygunov you're not exactly making it easy for us to accept what you say. talking down to us and calling us dumbasses is not going to help your credibility. It's this kind of elitism that turns me completely off of anything jazz related. Get off your high horse.

Concidering you insulted and bashed an artist without even having your facts straight, i wouldnt be talking if i were you. If you just shared your opinion and stayed of YOUR high horse, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we now? I'm just putting up a discussion on a discussion forum, your just blabbering on something you know nothing about
Quote by Taygunov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU

how is this not melodic/connecting you dumbass

now gtfo my internets

See, now that's all you had to do (without the "dumbass" bit, that was a bit harsh).

Though it's not my type of thing, I admit that you have proven me wrong and hereby retract my statement that Jaco doesn't play dynamically with a group.

Taygunov +1
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
His melodic approach is probably what influenced me most in his playing. Though I'm sure if it wasn't for him, half of the other bass players that influenced me wouldn't be around, or atleast, wouldn't sound the same.

I don't see how people can say he's overrated, he really improved the role of the bass in modern music. There's only a couple bassists that I would classify as overrated, and Jaco is far from being one of them.
Now now folks, before we argue any more let's all agree to sit down and listen to a weather report album together. We'll forgo all debate and just pick their most famous album Heavey Weather.

Once we've all done that, then we can talk calmly and educatedly about Jaco's role both in and out of an ensemble.

I'm going to say that, Solo artistry can become self-indlugent wanking. But there's nothing wrong with writing a piece of music for solo instrument, I mean it's been going on since anyone ever thought to write a piece of music, and what lovely important works have come out of it. Jaco wrote some excellent solo pieces, and he also--obviously--knew how to play in a band in the best kind of way, a listen to weather report confirms that (and I'm not a big jazz guy by any means) and dismisses any assumption that he didn't know how to play bass as an instrument supporting and enhancing the other instruments in a band.

Seriously though, my apathy toward jazz aside, let's all go listen to Heavy Weather (and not just Teen Town because that doesn't really help my case).
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by KasanDude
See, now that's all you had to do (without the "dumbass" bit, that was a bit harsh).

Though it's not my type of thing, I admit that you have proven me wrong and hereby retract my statement that Jaco doesn't play dynamically with a group.

Taygunov +1

yeah y'know im sorry too, that was uncalled for, i just got really fired up, whatever its all smoke under the bridge now
To step aside from the battle....

Jaco was a big influence on me, mainly concerning technique. I already knew about developing a pure, warm tone as I'd played euphonium for years before picking up the bass; an instrument that demands a singing sound. I actually try to capture the sound of my euphonium when I play bass, as opposed to trying to sound like another bass (or bassist).

Technique-wise, I've pretty much based everything off of what Jaco did. It works perfectly for me and I really don't see a reason to step away from it.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
But is it illegal, for some of us not really to like him, hes good, hes bery good, but thats nothing to me, he hasnt influenced me, like i havent listened to evreything, but still.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by bluntfoot
Since the whole Flea as my avatar seems to be throwing everyone in a **** fit, really it's just a funny picture.

Why not get a picture of Bootsy, the dude that Flea's posing as in that avatar? Christ, he's 100x funnier anyway. He coined the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't break it!"

Please don't tell me you're one of these "he's the most recent person to look like that therefore that's all I need to know" folks. The way you've argued makes you seem like that kind of person.

And it's a shame people haven't listened to his stuff with Michel Columbier...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
So far he hasnt influenced me, but i have just started playing religiously for less than a year. Of the few youtube clips ive seen he isnt really my thing, however that may change as i continue playing.
Quote by fishmunky
My fiance told me she had to sleep on the couch a few months back cause i got overly grabby in my sleep.
she was apparently not impressed by unconscious caveman moves
OK, I havent read the last couple of posts, but seriously, DO NOT judge him on youtube videos, imho his real talent was in composing. If you want to really get a decent feel for Jaco's work, check out his self titled album and/or Heavy Weather by Weather Report. And listen to the MUSIC, dont try and concentrate on the bass lines. Give the albums a decent listen, and you will realise just how much he adds to the music.

For me, I would like to think he has influenced my playing. I just really enjoy, listening to his music, I feel a lot more inspired than I do influenced if you know what I mean. In the way that after listening to him, I don't want to learn his songs, I want to play bass; if you understand.

EDIT: For those saying he just sits there wanking the bass, try and get hold of some of his big band work, it really shows his ability to compose, and also that he knows when to really settle back and just act as the backbone of the group, yet still play a very melodic and fitting line.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 6, 2009,
Page 1 of 4