Well, I starting recording lately, and im considering getting myself some decent monitors, instead of cheap speakers or headphones.

However, because of their price, and the fact I listen to music most on my computer, I was wondering if the studio monitors will be good for just casual listening to music, as well as for monitoring.

I know they're designed for a flat responce, and not for making music sound better, like normal speakers, but surley it would be better than listening to music on a cheap trust speaker system?

The listening to music is most important, because I could always use headphones for the mixing I suppose, but anyway, all help appriciated!

~Sean.
I use my monitors (M-Audio BX5a) for listing to music as well as recording, and they sound great! If you think about it the music was mixed/mastered on studio monitors, so it must sound good on them!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
It works. Or you can get yourself a cheap surround sound system for a tv and put it on your computer. That's what I do and I get an amazing 7.1 sound with killer low end from my subwoofer. I think I only paid like 70 bucks for these too. For recording I use studio monitors on my other computer. But I prefer this system for listening to music.
I have M-Audio AV-40's. They have a bass boost switch in the back for multi-media.
Quote by hcsn2008
It works. Or you can get yourself a cheap surround sound system for a tv and put it on your computer. That's what I do and I get an amazing 7.1 sound with killer low end from my subwoofer. I think I only paid like 70 bucks for these too. For recording I use studio monitors on my other computer. But I prefer this system for listening to music.

No, I think the OP primarily needs reference monitors that are also decent for computer entertainment. What you described would not be suitable for mixing..where, as the OP stated, neutral speakers are key.
Quote by 667
No, I think the OP primarily needs reference monitors that are also decent for computer entertainment. What you described would not be suitable for mixing..where, as the OP stated, neutral speakers are key.

right that's why i said that when mixing I use monitors and when listening to music I prefer the sound system I mentioned. So I was suggesting he gets monitors for recording and mixing and gets a 70 dollar system like I got for listening to music because it is just much more enjoyable.
Quote by hcsn2008
right that's why i said that when mixing I use monitors and when listening to music I prefer the sound system I mentioned. So I was suggesting he gets monitors for recording and mixing and gets a 70 dollar system like I got for listening to music because it is just much more enjoyable.

Sorry dude, my reading comprehension sucks. I stopped @ "$70" and clicked quote.
Quote by 667
Sorry dude, my reading comprehension sucks. I stopped @ "$70" and clicked quote.

It's cool. The system I have is actually only 60 dollars now and I've had 300 dollar computer speakers with subwoofer that didn't sound as good. The ones that work for tv's seem to be better. A cheap tv surround sound system for a computer is pretty amazing. I can barely turn the thing up it's so loud and the low end from the subwoofer is just great.
i bought a pair of fostex monitors that i use for both mixing and listening to music. they sound great.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
im thinking about getting some monitors too, and i was thinking the same thing, but just like someone has said, most of the music was mixed on studio monitors, why wouldnt it sound good on them
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
im thinking about getting some monitors too, and i was thinking the same thing, but just like someone has said, most of the music was mixed on studio monitors, why wouldnt it sound good on them

I think it's mostley that regular speakers shouldn't be used for quality mixing more so than monitors shouldn't be used for multi-media.

I lost the link I got this from, but the author is talking about a speakers response curve. Monitors are flat.

"...you can use any old speakers as monitors, nearfield or otherwise, but whatever you use, you can guarantee one thing: the characteristics and idiosyncrasies of your chosen monitors will colour the sound of everything you record and mix. And if you've used speakers that demonstrate extremes, they may well leave the results of all your efforts sounding far from as intended when your music is played back on any other system."
Last edited by 667 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by 667
I think it's mostley that regular speakers shouldn't be used for quality mixing more so than monitors shouldn't be used for multi-media.

I lost the link I got this from, but the author is talking about a speakers response curve. Monitors are flat.

"...you can use any old speakers as monitors, nearfield or otherwise, but whatever you use, you can guarantee one thing: the characteristics and idiosyncrasies of your chosen monitors will colour the sound of everything you record and mix. And if you've used speakers that demonstrate extremes, they may well leave the results of all your efforts sounding far from as intended when your music is played back on any other system."

exactly
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.