Alright folks got a quick question for you all. My current gear is a schecter hellraiser, a schecter C-1 Plus and a Peavey Valveking 112 with a vintage 30 stuffed in it (I love my job ).

I'm looking to buy a new set of humbuckers for the C-1 plus and wanted to get a couple of suggestions. I play mostly rhythm style guitar and play all types of music (blues to metal). I have the hellraiser for metal and such. Basically I'm looking for suggestions on a pickup that will really warm this guitar up. Something that will sound great for most genres save hard rock/metal.

I've looked at the jb/jazz setup and have about 150 to spend.
DiMarzio Air Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck Both pickups are made to warm up the tone of a guitar while having enough gain to handle anything from jazz to metal.
Example: Page Hamilton from Helmet uses the Air Zone in the bridge, John Petrucci has an Air Norton in the neck
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
That sounds like the ticket. I also wouldnt mind it if the bridge could be coil tapped as my bridge is currently splittable.

edit:

And I'm assuming that this is going to change my tone significantly over the duncan designed pups. Yes?
Last edited by merriman44 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by merriman44
That sounds like the ticket. I also wouldnt mind it if the bridge could be coil tapped as my bridge is currently splittable.

edit:

And I'm assuming that this is going to change my tone significantly over the duncan designed pups. Yes?

Somewhat significantly, yes. you'll get better clarity and sustain (DiMarzio's Airbucker technology allows the pickups to use higher output magnets like Alnico V while reducing string pull, thus enhancing harmonics and sustain), and a much warmer tone than the generally trebley SD sound. And I believe most DiMarzios can be coil tapped, you just have to check out how the wiring diagram shows you to hook it up.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Somewhat significantly, yes. you'll get better clarity and sustain (DiMarzio's Airbucker technology allows the pickups to use higher output magnets like Alnico V while reducing string pull, thus enhancing harmonics and sustain), and a much warmer tone than the generally trebley SD sound. And I believe most DiMarzios can be coil tapped, you just have to check out how the wiring diagram shows you to hook it up.

I'd also look into the Air Norton for the neck. +1 on the Tone Zone for the bridge. They sound fantastic with coil taps-very convincing single coil-ish sound. In a double-humbucker guitar, selected in the middle position, and tapped, it has a tele-ish spank that surprised me. Dimarzio all the way.
I think that he does mean the Air Norton. It seems to be just what I'm looking for. Can I install these on my own.
Quote by tonepro
I'd also look into the Air Norton for the neck. +1 on the Tone Zone for the bridge. They sound fantastic with coil taps-very convincing single coil-ish sound. In a double-humbucker guitar, selected in the middle position, and tapped, it has a tele-ish spank that surprised me. Dimarzio all the way.

Actually, I said the Air Zone, not the Tone Zone for the bridge. The Air Zone is made with DiMarzio's Airbucker technology (see the Air Norton, Air Zone, Air Classics), so it has slightly lower gain, less string pull, and can hit vintagey tones better. In fact, it's described and advertised as the vintage version of the Tone Zone.

TZ is a great pickup, but the TS already has a metal guitar, and the Air Zone will be m ore versatile while still being able to cover the metal realm.

And I already recommended the Air Norton for the neck position
Quote by merriman44
I think that he does mean the Air Norton. It seems to be just what I'm looking for. Can I install these on my own.

Can you solder and follow a clearly written wiring diagram? If so, then yes!

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Mar 6, 2009,
Never soldered, but I've heard its not hard if I just practice on some wire for a bit. As far as the wiring diagram...not sure. I just know I don't wanna pay 70 bucks for it to get done.

Finally, if I get the coverless version, do I need to worry about them getting dirty and messed up?
Quote by merriman44
Never soldered, but I've heard its not hard if I just practice on some wire for a bit. As far as the wiring diagram...not sure. I just know I don't wanna pay 70 bucks for it to get done.

Finally, if I get the coverless version, do I need to worry about them getting dirty and messed up?

Actually, I paid $17 to get mine installed. It's really not that hard to do with some experience. And the wiring diagram will basically say "solder these two wires to these lugs, solder this one to this thing here, these two are the ground, solder them to the case". At least, that's how mine was. It shows a pic of which wires are which and tells you very clearly what to do. And if you already have a soldering iron and some solder, I'd give it a go, just practice first so that you don't burn anything. and make sure the iron is hot enough too, I think people prefer to use 45 watt irons on their guitar stuff.

Stupid name.

No prob And don't call me sir, it makes me feel like I should be wearing a suit and tie lol!

Stupid name.

Hmm, as much as I like the Air Norton, I'd recommend going with a combo of a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. The Pearly Gates gets a sweeter tone than the Air Norton, while the Custom Custom is just one of the greatest bridge pickups ever, for vintage or modern tones.
Fender Tie-Dye Stratocaster
Charvel So-Cal (Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic)
Minarik Inferno (SD Pearly Gates and Custom Custom)
Guild GAD-C3 (A flamenca negra)
Yamaha FG433S (A steel-string acoustic)

Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Peavey Rage 158
any reason for that? I kinda would like more of an explanation if that possible for the pearly gates and the Custom