Hi everyone. I'll get right to the point. I know nothing about Guitars. I'm looking to purchase a nice guitar for my little brother as a High School graduation gift.

I'm looking to purchase something in the $1200-$1600 range. I've been looking at some sort of Gibson, perhaps a Les Paul...but there's so many different ones I don't know where to start. Studio? Standard? Traditional? SG?

Does anybody have any suggestions? What is the best place to buy? Is Guitar Center any good? Should I buy online, or local?

Thanks for any help in advance.
IMO, you're best bet is to just let you're brother know that you're getting him a guitar and have him pick it out in a Guitar Center or other shop. You can do it in a card the day of his graduation so it's still a surprise, but unless you've heard him state specifically what he wants, going out and buying a guitar randomly may end badly.

Asking us what to get really isn't going to help, because there are a lot of good choices in that price range that just come down to preference. All your going to get is people trying to convince you why you should buy their favorite guitar even though it may be something your brother hates.
Last edited by T!AN at Mar 6, 2009,
what kind of music is he into? also i agree with this ^. guitar choice is as much about feel as anything else.
Last edited by lilcurtis at Mar 6, 2009,
It really depends on what style he likes to play.
If he's a bit into rock, I'd go for a Gibson Les Paul Studio. OR a high-end Epiphone.

I would go to a guitar store really, but if there is no near you, I'd go for thomann.de .
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
agree completely with t!an. getting a guitar that expensive would be awesome, but let him get what he wants.
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

Quote by T!AN
IMO, you're best bet is to just let you're brother know that you're getting him a guitar and have him pick it out in a Guitar Center or other shop. You can do it in a card the day of his graduation so it's still a surprise, but unless you've heard him state specifically what he wants, going out and buying a guitar randomly may end badly.

Asking us what to get really isn't going to help, because there are a lot of good choices in that price range that just come down to preference. All your going to get is people trying to convince you why you should buy their favorite guitar even though it may be something your brother hates.

This makes perfect sense. I never really thought about it like this, but I completely understand. I guess that's what I will end up doing, even though it's not nearly as exciting...

Thanks!
^ +1. The only correct answer to this is unless you know which specific model and make he wants, suprise him and maybe go along to choose with him.

If i got a guitar that didn't feel or sound good to me, i would sell it straight away. The first rule of guitar is to always try it out physically before you buy it.