Hi.
I'm looking for a new acoustic-electric guitar. I was thinking abot spending somewhere around $1000.
My question is, what's the best guitar in this price range in your opinion?

I'd prefer a small neck, and cut-away.
I also want steel-strings, not nylon.
It should be suitable for amplifying.
I currently have a Fender Stratocaster, and I love it. That model prefectly fits my needs and style.

I've read some reviews here http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag97/feature97.shtml - I'm looking for something like those.
I'm probably going to buy one tomorrow, beacause I'm going to the capital (and it has lots of guitars shope), so I would prefer some hints and help tonight (:
Last edited by Foozle at Mar 6, 2009,
Sorry, but do you know anything?
Look at this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Stage-D25-SR-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105131163-i1425165.gc
Solid top, solid back. JLD Bridge Truss, compensated saddle (No pins!), LR Baggs pickup, hardshell case, and great looks.
How on earth are any of them bad for their price range?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
......and great looks.

Well, that's sort of subjective. I hate Breedlove's cutaways, they look absolutely horrendous. Still, were they available where I live, I'd heavily consider buying one.
Quote by Baby Joel
Sorry, but do you know anything?
Look at this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Stage-D25-SR-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105131163-i1425165.gc
Solid top, solid back. JLD Bridge Truss, compensated saddle (No pins!), LR Baggs pickup, hardshell case, and great looks.
How on earth are any of them bad for their price range?

Do I know anything? You're ten years old, I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

I can find you a guitar with those specs for £100 but it doesn't mean it's a good guitar now does it?

They're badly balanced, don't have ANY projection and have slow necks, a lot of them are finished very very badly. The laminated sides are tacky and you can easily tell the difference in tone (which sucks).

None of this 'it has a hardcase and compensated saddle' so it must be a good guitar.

You list a whole page of guitars and say 'enjoy?' Have you any idea how ridiculous that is?
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 7, 2009,
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you are being?
You can't say a neck is fast or slow. Its subjective to the player.
You can find me a guitar with solid rosewood back, solid spruce top, LR Baggs pickup for a hundred quid? Go for it. Show me.
The balance I find is also subjective. Some people enjoy 'unbalanced' guitars (Angus Young and Robby Kreiger both use the incredibly 'neck heavy' SG), and some don't. The balance is basically how you carry it and how you play it.
No projection? Really? I find mine to have fantastic projection and sustain.
And how are they finished badly? Its just a gloss finish. Its hard to have a bad finish.

And yes, I do say 'Enjoy'. No, its not ridiculous. I gave him a page of guitars that he can look at to see which one matches his specs better. Its much more helpful than saying 'This is your only option'.
it's all coming back

Urgh I'm not even going to bother. I've got better things to do than argue with someone who thinks that the AD20 is a good guitar. I played about 4 notes on that thing before I laughed and put it back on the rack.
Quote by Baby Joel
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you are being?
You can't say a neck is fast or slow. Its subjective to the player.
You can find me a guitar with solid rosewood back, solid spruce top, LR Baggs pickup for a hundred quid? Go for it. Show me.
The balance I find is also subjective. Some people enjoy 'unbalanced' guitars (Angus Young and Robby Kreiger both use the incredibly 'neck heavy' SG), and some don't. The balance is basically how you carry it and how you play it.
No projection? Really? I find mine to have fantastic projection and sustain.
And how are they finished badly? Its just a gloss finish. Its hard to have a bad finish.

And yes, I do say 'Enjoy'. No, its not ridiculous. I gave him a page of guitars that he can look at to see which one matches his specs better. Its much more helpful than saying 'This is your only option'.

+1
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
oh and to the TS
i would suggest trying breedloves.
i havent tried the new Atlas series before but they do have better electronics than the older Atlas series.

i find that my AD25 is a great guitar for its price. i would prefer this than a lowe end taylor or martin.

I also suggest you look at Alvarez and Takamine. they both make great guitars and both have better electronics as well than Breedloves imo.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Urgh I'm not even going to bother. I've got better things to do than argue with someone who thinks that the AD20 is a good guitar. I played about 4 notes on that thing before I laughed and put it back on the rack.

Its not just me that thinks that AD20 is a good guitar.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/BreedLove/AD20_SM-01.html
And it got the 'Choice' award from Guitar Player Magazine which basically means 'Best Acoustic of the Year'.
So basically I just won the argument?
it's all coming back

Who cares who won or lost? This is the fcuking internetz, we're all just in a bunch of tubes ok, no one really cares.
I care because if I do 'win' then the TS knows that Breedloves are actually quality instruments.
it's all coming back

Keep it civil, people. You should all know that guitars are extremely subjective things.

Anyway, Breedloves are actually a decent choice if you like the sound. The roots series I played(which is below the atlas series) sounded just horrid strummed, but the tone just exploded out of it as soon as I fingerpicked the thing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My votes. The last two are HPLs, but I've played quite a few of them and found them to hold their own. It's just a tone preference for me; I like that Martin sound compared to other brands, solid wood be damned. Takamine is generally the name in acoustic-electrics, though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DCX1E-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-101073674-i1148384.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DC15E-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Dreadnought-Guitar-514507-i1148313.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-000CXE-Black-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-101744654-i1168516.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DCXE-X-Series-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-514833-i1148387.gc
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Baby Joel
Its not just me that thinks that AD20 is a good guitar.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/BreedLove/AD20_SM-01.html
And it got the 'Choice' award from Guitar Player Magazine which basically means 'Best Acoustic of the Year'.
So basically I just won the argument?

Maton EGB808CL performer.

I'd prefer a small neck, and cut-away. - Yes to both
I also want steel-strings, not nylon. - Obviously
It should be suitable for amplifying. - The AP5 is the best widely produced electronics system made bar the APMic Imo. Hook this guitar up to a fishman loudbox or something and you're away.

It's a fairly low end Maton, and it has Laminated back and sides, which is a shame, but you won't tell when it's plugged in.

Just over $1000, and I just won the argument.

A couple of reviews on the internet means nothing, the reviews for the Harvey Benton £50 guitar on Thomann all have 5 stars, does that make it a good guitar?
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 7, 2009,
^Never played it before, but that guitar looks gorgeous.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by captivate
Keep it civil, people. You should all know that guitars are extremely subjective things.

Anyway, Breedloves are actually a decent choice if you like the sound. The roots series I played(which is below the atlas series) sounded just horrid strummed, but the tone just exploded out of it as soon as I fingerpicked the thing.

The Atlas series is the same. It gives off this weird chunky wall of crappy sound. You don't get 6 notes you get one big hairy droning thing.

Fingerpicking tone is also a little better on the Atlas's, but volume and projection are an issue and necks are quite slow. The bass was weird in that it was loud but almost non-existant, just like it was a noice but it wasn't bass. I can't explain it better than that. You got no 'boom' from it. Most of them have the same sound that you get when you pluck at the 5th fret. Sure it sounds soft and pretty but try playing two together and you get a mushy mess.

The high end was lost and ineffective because of the wierd base, and in the end I had to palm mute the basses so hard that I might as well have not played them.

Baby Joel the issue I have is you can't just post a page of guitars and say 'enjoy.' I might as well say 'alvarez' or 'takamine' which is just as pointless. Breedloves get really good at about the $1200 mark.
Laminate back shouldn't happen after $500, usually.
And as I already said, its better to give him several options than say he can only have one guitar.
But that is an incredibly attractive guitar.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Laminate back shouldn't happen after $500, usually.
And as I already said, its better to give him several options than say he can only have one guitar.
But that is an incredibly attractive guitar.

I'd normally agree with you about the laminate but it doesn't really seem to affect it.

Also you're probably sacrificing solid wood for the AP5 at that price, which is worth doing.
Good point. At least its not a laminate top.
it's all coming back

I think Seagulls still go with laminate side/back till about $800 CAD. But that's still about $700ish USD. I can guarantee you that those Seagulls will keep up with the solid wood guitars at the same price though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Both Yamaha and Ibanez get ripped badly. That doesn't make them bad guitars. It's a matter of opinion. But be aware that Yamaha isn't a solid top. That doesn't mean it won't suit your needs, I just wanted to make sure you saw that.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by millerdrr
Both Yamaha and Ibanez get ripped badly. That doesn't make them bad guitars. It's a matter of opinion. But be aware that Yamaha isn't a solid top. That doesn't mean it won't suit your needs, I just wanted to make sure you saw that.

Why would a non solid top not suit my needs?