k so i recently realized that i wanna play some gigs. just acoustic stuff and all that. i'm not interested in doing anything huge i just need some basic info. like how to either open for some1 or play at like wild wings and other local live music places. also how much $ do people usually make when they first start out. it will be me and another dude both playing guitar and singing.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
I am wanting to do this as well... Start with like... Open mic nights, enter some contests... better have original songs or your doomed, i think its good to mix with really good cover songs..

I plan on doing some classic cover songs people love, mixed with my originals, and the covers of bands no one's heard of...

How to get the gigs... i'm not sure..

Classified ads? lol
Yeah just look around and try and find stuff. Are you playing by yourself? The lead guitarist and I (rythym) are playing an acoustic set in a few weeks for Earth Day or something. I wouldn't push for money, especially early, just take what you can get. And to echo the original songs vs. covers, definitely have both to play, and mix them in well.
yeah i have a few originals ive been working on. but i still dont know how to get a gig. like just walk up to a manager of a wild wing or something? and btw i would be playing with either one other dude or two other dudes
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
open mics are a great way to get yourself started. I'd also suggest just doing some rough demos to hand out. I'm going to assume by your user name that you're going to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, as well. Chapel Hill's got a few coffee houses (though I can't think of a single one) and a venue or two that probably wouldn't mind some fresh talent. I know back in the early 90's Chapel Hill was a breeding ground for indie music, not sure how well that's held up these days. But, pretty much, just play whenever and where ever you can, use your computer and Audacity to make some rough, rough demos to just let people know what you're about and you should be able to get a couple of gigs around town. It really does depends on where you are and what the scene is like where you are. I can tell you: I live in Central Illinois and I've got a bit of trouble finding gigs and musicians down here, I usually end up driving up to chicago to do stuff.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.