OK, i know that i've seen this stuff posted before, but I didn't kno exactly what to search for to find it, but how should i go about safely cranking my tube amps? I was going to do it alter today to celebrate spring break. I know that i need to let the tubes warm up (duh) and then slowly work up to higher volumes, but how slowly are talking? I was thinking of turning them on and starting to play at about 5, and then slowly raising the volume so that I would be at or near max by 5:15ish. does that sound good? or should i go slower?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
umm, you can just turn it up.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
umm, you can just turn it up.

i had thought that was damaging to the tubes and the speaker, though?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
sounds good, perhaps a tad cautious but thats not a bad thing

also: the sweet spot may not be at 10, it's about 6 on my amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Just let it warm up for a minute like you would normally, then it doesnt matter after that. Just crank it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
sounds good, perhaps a tad cautious but thats not a bad thing

also: the sweet spot may not be at 10, it's about 6 on my amp

He was kidding haha, 24 hours is ridiculous. It takes just a minute or two.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
He was kidding haha, 24 hours is ridiculous. It takes just a minute or two.

i was replying to the OP

i wouldnt crank my amp without waiting a bit longer than normal
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would let it warm up for 24 hours and then increase the volume 1 interval per hour until desired result is achieved.

i've heard that's what john petrucci does before each concert. then he just plays at about 6 billion notes per second to rip a hole in the space-time continuum to go back in time so that he can make his concert.

(i'm really hoping that you've seen the john petrucci psycho exercises videos...if not look them up lol)

EDIT and ok, sweet, thanks! i'll give them a little time to warm-up before really cranking them. i just dont exactly have the money for tubes right now, and a new speaker is truly out of my range
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would let it warm up for 24 hours and then increase the volume 1 interval per hour until desired result is achieved.

I lol'd

TS: Like its been said already, just let it warm up like usual and then crank it up - if you want to be cautious then just wait a couple minute, but the whole "wait and gradually turn the volume up" is just silly
just crank that sucker, bring it outside or something lol

"im sorry officer, i didntknow that the courthouse 8 blocks away was in session"
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
just crank that sucker, bring it outside or something lol

"im sorry officer, i didntknow that the courthouse 8 blocks away was in session"

indeed lol

yea, i'm actually going to be playing in my dorm room because almost no one should be here at that hour. nonetheless, i posted a warning on the forum for my dorm lol a 40watt 112 and a 120watt 212(actually quieter than the 112) will be quite impressive
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

If I had room in my sig...

Bored - as said a couple minutes. Have fun. Take all things of value off of the wall and set them on your bed first.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't mean to be mean here.... But really man are you that stupid you had to post this? I swear I'm trying to be nice. Man... all you do is turn the volume knob UP. Why would it damage the amp that's what it's made for? You keep it in standby and warm it up for a few seconds like normal and crank it. do you think bands that are playing gigs really loud sit there and warm their amp up for a few hours or something?
Quote by hcsn2008
I don't mean to be mean here.... But really man are you that stupid you had to post this? I swear I'm trying to be nice. Man... all you do is turn the volume knob UP. Why would it damage the amp that's what it's made for? You keep it in standby and warm it up for a few seconds like normal and crank it. do you think bands that are playing gigs really loud sit there and warm their amp up for a few hours or something?

like i said in the post, i had read a discussion on here talking about having to slowly crank the volume, so i wanted to check before i destroyed about 1 grand worth of gear. I much rather be cautious and keep the amps that i love so dearly in one piece than do something stupid and loose everything that i have worked for over the past 2-3 years.

btw, notice, i didnt say 2-3 hours. i said max 15mins.

also btw, sorry about being a little rude, but im not exactly a n00b. i just like my gear and i wanted to check on something that i had heard.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
like i said in the post, i had read a discussion on here talking about having to slowly crank the volume, so i wanted to check before i destroyed about 1 grand worth of gear. I much rather be cautious and keep the amps that i love so dearly in one piece than do something stupid and loose everything that i have worked for over the past 2-3 years.

btw, notice, i didnt say 2-3 hours. i said max 15mins.

also btw, sorry about being a little rude, but im not exactly a n00b. i just like my gear and i wanted to check on something that i had heard.

Sorry it just reminds me of those post where people are so confused over which guitar cable to buy... It's like.. just buy a durable looking cable. With amps it's the same way just turn it up. Hell I barely warm mine up. A lot of times I'm impatient when I go to band practice. I just turn it on and play. All that it will do is lower the life of your tubes if you do that. But my tubes still last forever doing that. I try to let it warm up while I tune though.
Quote by hcsn2008
Sorry it just reminds me of those post where people are so confused over which guitar cable to buy... It's like.. just buy a durable looking cable. With amps it's the same way just turn it up. Hell I barely warm mine up. A lot of times I'm impatient when I go to band practice. I just turn it on and play. All that it will do is lower the life of your tubes if you do that. But my tubes still last forever doing that. I try to let it warm up while I tune though.

dude you want to be leaving your amp 10 mins minimum before you even switch it on if it's been outside
Quote by hcsn2008

lol yea, i know what you mean dude. yea my friend just slaps his marshall into full-on now without a second thought. but unlike my friend, i no onger have my parents income to supply new tubes (not saying that yours do), so i've become a little more cautious abou how i treat my amps since it is now my money paying for their repair and purchasing.

thanks for your help btw, and i understand your frustration
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
A+ thread. Would read again.

Unexpected lulz ftw.