hi, i'm considering replacing the stock pickup on my yamaha 112j. my amp is a fender hot rod deluxe

firstly - will it actually make a difference to my sound - considering yamaha's are fairly cheap - or should i look into a new guitar to make a bigger difference?

secondly - what is the wiring like on a yamaha - i looked at seymour duncans website and assumed i want a 4 con but would just like to check

thirdly - what to get. i play mainly hard/classic rock and blues (hendrix, cream, guns, b.b. king) with the odd ac/dc or maiden thrown in. so what would i be best off getting? i'm going to replace the humbucker first as that gets most used. how do tb59's sound for example?

what else would you guys recommend?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
ok, here is the thing. the pickups will drastically change your sound in very good ways (provided you buy good pick-ups) however, if your guitar is cheap, it will still be cheap. Basically, if you dont like your guitar now, and are planning on upgrading eventually, wait and do that first.

but, if you like your guitar, buy new pups.

Second question: dont worry about conductor wires. 2 is the standard on old or vintage style pups, adn 4 on new. 4 just gives you the ability to coil tap etc. so if your guitar has coil tap, look for a 4 conductor wires.

Third question. i personally would look at something like a SD pearly gates. i like that one a lot. but jsut find some that look cool in your price range and start youtube searching for guitars with them in

EDIT: good luck by the way!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
thanks a lot

forgot to mention my price range - i can spend up to £100 which is ~$150
i do like my guitar - it plays nicely and is generally good - i will eventually upgrade but probably not in the next 3 years or so

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
thanks a lot

forgot to mention my price range - i can spend up to £100 which is ~$150
i do like my guitar - it plays nicely and is generally good - i will eventually upgrade but probably not in the next 3 years or so

np! then yea, i would definitely go for new pups the, are you going to install them yourself? if not, make sure that you calculate in installation costs. £100 will get you a pearly gates plus installation and leave you some extra cash left over most likely
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
A: Install it yourself; it's honestly not difficult, and if you have anything less than a floating bridge you should easily be capable of setting your guitar back up after you're finished.
B: The Pearly Gates should be marvellous in the bridge position. The ESP George Lynch model which has the Pearly Gates at the bridge is very toneful; your guitar is made of alder rather than basswood so should sound slightly brighter, but you should still get the general effect. It's an excellent choice for what you want.
For your single coils I'd suggest Dimarzio Area '51s. They're stacked humbuckers so they'll sound like single coils but without the hum. I personally think they're marvellous pickups.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Possibly look into Bareknuckle Emeralds or Miracle Mans as well as the pearly gates.

Bare Knuckles are well beyond his budget though.
In any case the Miracle Mans he difinitely wouldn't want; better off with a Holy Diver, Black Dog, Riff Raff or Mississippi Queen. The Emerald would probably work too but I don't know much about that.
I agree though; Bare Knuckles are kickass.
Pearly Gates are wonderful pickups, nice sounding and affordable!
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Duncan SH-1 '59's, would be my first choice. If those are out of your range, look into Guitar Fetish '59's. Try a low output humbucker (dc resistance around 8 or so), and drive the pickups with your amp.
Quote by Rock Pig
Bare Knuckles are well beyond his budget though.
In any case the Miracle Mans he difinitely wouldn't want; better off with a Holy Diver, Black Dog, Riff Raff or Mississippi Queen. The Emerald would probably work too but I don't know much about that.
I agree though; Bare Knuckles are kickass.

They'd be better from a blues and hard rock angle for sure, but I think he'd need something a little hotter for the heavier stuff he occasionally plays.

In any case, BKPs retail at around £90-£99 each which is within his budget.
If you have two hum slots check out the Seymour Duncan JB/59 set. The tone on the neck is amazingly smooth and the bridge is extremely versatile.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by joshuamazing
If you have two hum slots check out the Seymour Duncan JB/59 set. The tone on the neck is amazingly smooth and the bridge is extremely versatile.

as much as people usually bash JB's, i agree. this is a nice pair. an ESP LTD at my local shop has this setup and it sounds quite nice.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
thanks guys - i think i'll probably go for a pearly gates at the bridge (i'm assuming it'll work there fine)
i'll sort my neck later - i want to put a humbucker there eventually but can't be bothered with the routing right now.

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more