Well, I was going to buy a new 4x12 cab, when a genius thought entered my head, "Why not just get some speakers instead?" So I will. BUT, as always, I have questions...
First off, there is no inherent difference between cabs, yes? Besides the obvious closed/open back, there is no difference besides speakers? Excuse me for my noobness, but I've never really focused on cabs before, just heads.

And most importantly, what kind would I get? I've heard Earcandy's are excellent, Eminence, Celestion, etc. I like a smooth, glassy lead (distorted) tone. Fans of Scale The Summit, Cynic, BTBAM or Allan Holdsworth will know that tone. I know I can't achieve that sound ONLY from speakers, but I don't have quite enough money yet to get an amp head. Would also have to be able to do very good cleans.

Thanks in advance!
Correct me on anything I may have said that is wrong, I'm unable to think clearly today
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
The cab does matter a little bit, it acts as a resonance chamber and adds response to your sound, a better alternative may be to buy the speakers and make your own cab
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Hm, ok... How would one go about building his own cab? Is there a thread on that somewhere around here?

EDIT: Well, this matter is much more complicated than I originally thought (isn't everything?). Since I have neither the materials or the intelligence to build my own cab, what would you all recommend for a cab, and what speakers?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at Mar 6, 2009,
The cab design makes a huge difference to the sound of the cab. Dimensions, construction and woods all make a difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also the cabs material matters too - like the way in which the type of wood used in guitar construction affects tone.
buy eminence!

they're a real legit company and have great customer service.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
avatar cabs are reasonably priced and pretty good quality, can't help on speakers.

You should probably decide what head you're getting before deciding on speakers
Quote by pak1351
avatar cabs are reasonably priced and pretty good quality, can't help on speakers.

You should probably decide what head you're getting before deciding on speakers

Well, I'm going to be using my SS B-52 head for a while, but should I ever start gigging, I'd be getting either a Carvin V3 or some other (much more expensive) brand, something like a Splawn or Mesa or something. Most likely a V3, though.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at Mar 6, 2009,
+1 for avatar. Check out the website. Its pretty much a custom cab without the custom cab price. I recommend hellatones, they are wonderful, probably the 60.
I say you ganna want a low wattage speaker.

maybe a G12H30 or a Blued Dog ceramic 30.

whats yout budget.
Totally forgot about budget. Huh, I dunno, up to $500 say? Unless an extra hundred or two will be THAT much better.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by THEKID546
well damn if thats your budget might as well upgrade amps no.

Well, 4 Celestions costs about $400, so... Whatever would be needed to get a decent set of speakers, haha. I'm a master of savings.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Well I've thought about starting to build my own cabs...but It is actually more expensive haha.
It is far from cheap especially with my mentality of tweaking it to make sure its the best.
I think a lot of cab/amp companies work out deals with speaker companies to make things cheaper for them to build and sell, but im also not the brightest.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man

First off, there is no inherent difference between cabs, yes? Besides the obvious closed/open back, there is no difference besides speakers?

No, seriously anyone who tells you this is completely and totally wrong. v30s in an MG cab would sound like ****. Construction, read/front loaded speakers, actually material and woods used, dimensions, and thickness are HUGE tone changers.
Quote by Say Ocean
No, seriously anyone who tells you this is completely and totally wrong. v30s in an MG cab would sound like ****. Construction, read/front loaded speakers, actually material and woods used, dimensions, and thickness are HUGE tone changers.

I remember someone saying a couple years ago how construction and wood affects it. I should've figured this out myself seeing as it's so similar to a guitar, but eh. I never put two and two together.

Thanks everyone for "opening my eyes" then! Would anyone have any suggestions on cabs, then? So far I've gotten Avatar and a couple of different speakers. Would the Hellatone 30's/60's be best for the progressive metal I like, and jazz/other clean music as well? In an Avatar cab?
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus