http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166323&type=product&id=1218041149114

i might get that laptop and i has 512mb dedicated video memory with up to 2000 something mb, what does that mean? i know that u can increase the size, but how? do u have to buy something or is it something already on the computer, or is it an option u just change in say, control panel
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
exactly what it says retard

512 mb video card for gaming and watching videos, rather then it running off of the (HUGE) 6gb ram, damnit i hav a 4gb ram didnt kno the knew upper is 6gb arg
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
but what does the expandable mean(i know it means like to expand) but a more accurate question would be, HOW? do u have to buy another GPU or ram or something?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by JimmyBanks6
exactly what it says retard

512 mb video card for gaming and watching videos, rather then it running off of the (HUGE) 6gb ram, damnit i hav a 4gb ram didnt kno the knew upper is 6gb arg

Upper limit depends on OS.
Vista ultimate, enterprise and business editions can support up to 128GB. If you can find a motherboard with enough space for that much.
jeez... for a simple confusion about computers there sure are a lot of negative comments...
Quote by devit
but what does the expandable mean(i know it means like to expand) but a more accurate question would be, HOW? do u have to buy another GPU or ram or something?

You would buy additional RAM, and stick it in the slots(would have to be compatible with motherboard, though).
Quote by MightyAl
Upper limit depends on OS.
Vista ultimate, enterprise and business editions can support up to 128GB. If you can find a motherboard with enough space for that much.

wrong, vista 64bit of any type supports up to 128gb, i hav the 64bit version with 4gb ram, which was the max for a thousand dollar laptop in the summer

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
It means the memory for the GPU scales, this is very common with onboard GPU's. The first 512MB are dedicated to the GPU, nothing else can touch it. If you want to extra memory, upto 2.5GB, it takes it from your RAM. If you did do this, you would have 2.5GB of RAM for you GPU and 3.5 of your general purpose RAM.

I believe you have to change the amount it uses manually, but it may be set to start scaling up automatically when its dedicated memory gets full.
Quote by MightyAl
You would buy additional RAM, and stick it in the slots(would have to be compatible with motherboard, though).

so bassicly its video system is average

so im better of getting a gateway pfx?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by JimmyBanks6
wrong, vista 64bit of any type supports up to 128gb, i hav the 64bit version with 4gb ram, which was the max for a thousand dollar laptop in the summer

Quote by vistaclues.com
Here’s the official answer from Microsoft:

32-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 4GB
32-bit Windows Vista Starter: 1GB
64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic: 8GB
64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Premium: 16GB
64-bit versions of Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 128GB

[url="http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/[/url"]
Quote by jebathan
It means the memory for the GPU scales, this is very common with onboard GPU's. The first 512MB are dedicated to the GPU, nothing else can touch it. If you want to extra memory, upto 2.5GB, it takes it from your RAM. If you did do this, you would have 2.5GB of RAM for you GPU and 3.5 of your general purpose RAM.

I believe you have to change the amount it uses manually, but it may be set to start scaling up automatically when its dedicated memory gets full.

but by manually u mean how, opening up the computer, or togglig some options in control panel or system?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
It will be some option in video control panel, you wont need to open the computer up.
I means i want it
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by jebathan
It will be some option in video control panel, you wont need to open the computer up.

are u sure?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Last edited by devit at Mar 6, 2009,
I'm sure thats how the video memory is going to work. When it says the RAM is exapandable upto 8GB it means you would need to buy and install more RAM.

Also, any 64-bit OS can support 2^64 bits of RAM, which is massive. Microsoft is known for putting arbitrary limits of RAM on their OS's, XP can only support 3GB, even though a 32-bit processor can support 4GB.
Quote by jebathan
I'm sure thats how the video memory is going to work. When it says the RAM is exapandable upto 8GB it means you would need to buy and install more RAM.

Also, any 64-bit OS can support 2^64 bits of RAM, which is massive. Microsoft is known for putting arbitrary limits of RAM on their OS's, XP can only support 3GB, even though a 32-bit processor can support 4GB.

so its going to be an option in Control Panel right?

srry but im really skeptical cuz im about to dish out 1200 on laptop, i wana know what i am getting and if its really what im looking for
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by devit
are u sure?

Ok listen.

You can change the amount of RAM your computer designates to each section by using your computer properties. You can do this "on your screen."

If you want MORE RAM altogether, you can buy more, open up the computer, and put it in. It is very simple.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by MightyAl
[url="http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/[/url"]

ah you win, still even for 64bit basic is ALOT more memory then needed with todays programs, id love to see a computer nutcase enthusaist with a 100gb ram computer, wonder how fast it would be hmm

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
It will be an option in control panel. I haven't used Vista much, but on XP it would be under either the NVidia control panel, the System one, or maybe the Display one.

If you want to feel more confident, goto a BestBuy and check it out. If they're selling it on their website I'm sure they have one in store that you can check out and have a sales associate show you how to adjustable video memory works.
Quote by PandaPetey
jeez... for a simple confusion about computers there sure are a lot of negative comments...

You asked a stupid question and it's the pit.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

ok where can i access that properties, is it on system or something?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Since I haven't done this in Vista, I googled around a bit and it looks like under
Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced, there should be an option to change the amount of shared memory.

Worst case, you'll have to change it in the BIOS.