I've been playing the scales from this lesson and decided to figure out which notes I was playing. On the GMaj 1st position, looks to me like I'm playing F# instead of F.

Is this correct? Does that scale really refer to F# and not F?

If it is correct, then why do I play F# instead of F?
The major scale for C is just C D E F G A B C. You'll notice that there is just 1 semi tone between the last 2 notes. So if you transpose each note to the key of G, you end up with F# G at the end.

EDIT: w00t! Sonata Arctica fan in the above post!
Last edited by grantjames at Mar 6, 2009,
G major scale : G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by grantjames
The major scale for C is just C D E F G A B C. You'll notice that there is just 1 semi tone between the last 2 notes. So if you transpose each note to the key of G, you end up with F# G at the end.

EDIT: w00t! Sonata Arctica fan in the above post!
There's a semitone between the 3rd and 4th notes as well.
^ thats right, every major scale has a semi tone between 3 and 4 and 6 and 7, so to get a Gamj scale you start at G and make it so there is a semi tone between them ^ so thats why there is a f# because you need that semi tone, or else your playing a mixolydian scale.
Use this formula to figure out the notes in any major scale;

W=whole step (2 frets)
H=half step (1 fret)

WWHWWWH

Minor scales use this formula;

WHWWHWW
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by Maton+SG
^ thats right, every major scale has a semi tone between 3 and 4 and 6 and 7, so to get a Gamj scale you start at G and make it so there is a semi tone between them ^ so thats why there is a f# because you need that semi tone, or else your playing a mixolydian scale.

3 and 4, and 7 and 8 actually. A major 6th and 7th are a tone apart.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1