Are these loud enough to be heard over drums? I have a solid state half stack and that's fine but I don't know about this Peavey VK112 I'm looking at. I think it would be fine though as far as being heard with everybody else.
The Walking Dead
Plenty loud... one watt of tube power is approximately the equivalent of 2 1/2 watts of solid-state power.
I was just playing with a drummer with my VK112 about an hour ago, i have it turned up to about 4 and it is a good mix with my drummers volume so no problems there
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by oldkoolairbrush
Plenty loud... one watt of tube power is approximately the equivalent of 2 1/2 watts of solid-state power.

To get really nitpicky and technical one watt of power is one watt of power. The difference is that tube technology creates a sound wave that humans perceive as louder than solid state does, and this is the disparity.

Kinda like the old riddle, what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers...answer is, they both weigh a pound, but you'd have WAY more feathers due to the density of the materials.

And to answer the TS...should be juuuuust fine. I also have a 40w HRD and its plenty loud.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by oldkoolairbrush

+1

He said it perfectly.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Quote by BaffAttack
To get really nitpicky and technical one watt of power is one watt of power. The difference is that tube technology creates a sound wave that humans perceive as louder than solid state does, and this is the disparity.

Kinda like the old riddle, what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers...answer is, they both weigh a pound, but you'd have WAY more feathers due to the density of the materials.

And to answer the TS...should be juuuuust fine. I also have a 40w HRD and its plenty loud.

Yee, I meant as far as volume concerned, but W/E.
With my 33 watt crate if I go past halfway I start drowning out my drummer, and I'm talking about a double bass, 9 symbol, two snare metal madman of a drummer.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by oldkoolairbrush
Yee, I meant as far as volume concerned, but W/E.

Sorry, as a pro audio/video guy, it's a distinction I have to teach to my student employees.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Sorry, as a pro audio/video guy, it's a distinction I have to teach to my student employees.

Also a distinction UGers can fill up 25 threads a day with... seems like no matter what the TS asks this debate comes up.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Also a distinction UGers can fill up 25 threads a day with... seems like no matter what the TS asks this debate comes up.

Pedantry kills time!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
My 5150 combo is 60 W and it's ball shattering.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I own that amp, it will drown out a drummer, and if you need more just plug a external cab into it. Hell my 15w Blackheart will make a drummer heavy handed to keep up in 7w mode.
Quote by Soul Eater
My 5150 combo is 60 W and it's ball shattering.

Peavey owner power high five!
Yes, 50w is enough to shrivel your drummer's sac and completely drown out the drums.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
50 watts could cause hearing damage. You will have NO problem. You can play dirty over a drummer easily with a 15 watter.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by lefthandman9876
easilly, my 40w hot rod deluxe completly drowns out a drumkit on 2

While for the record 50 Watts tube is plenty as mentioned by everyone else, I have to say this is an extreme.

Was your drummer playing with brushes or something?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
While for the record 50 Watts tube is plenty as mentioned by everyone else, I have to say this is an extreme.

Was your drummer playing with brushes or something?

HRD's are notorious for touchy volume controls.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
It will be loud enough but I mean a VK just sucks. There are so much better options. Even from peavey. A bugera sounds better than a VK and they are 120 watts. That's a good option or the vypyr 60 watt tube. Which is an all tube power amp and it has solid state in the preamp but you can't tell it and the tone slays a valveking.
The Valveking isn't a bad amp, but Bugeras are leaps and bounds ahead of it as far as tone goes (I own both).
Quote by oldkoolairbrush

except it isn't.
Well yeah, definitely. My 30 watt SS could get over a drummer. OF COURSE a 50w tube combo can. Tube amps tend to sound louder than SS amps (about 2.5 times, if you believe GG&A) and that means it will sound like a 125 watt SS combo BUT it will not have that kind of headroom, end of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by BaffAttack
HRD's are notorious for touchy volume controls.

yeah, im pretty sure a hrd on 3 is roughly an 8 on a marshall dsl401
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape