F C A7 D, i'm new to music theory, scales etc and trying to find out which scale that would be in, i've got the chord sequence, now how do i find a scale to slot it in?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
ugh, a d minor scale?
i dont really know much myself but from what i know im gunna take a guess at that.
Look up key signatures on google. and find a key that contains those notes (preffebally D or F as these are the msot powerful chords there) then you use the scale of that key.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Aurigo
ugh, a d minor scale?
i dont really know much myself but from what i know im gunna take a guess at that.

yep
Quote by slash=legend
F C A7 D, i'm new to music theory, scales etc and trying to find out which scale that would be in, i've got the chord sequence, now how do i find a scale to slot it in?

Is that an original progression ?

based on what I see there I would say it's in 2 keys.

1st 2 chords = F Major 2nd 2 chords = D Major
shred is gaudy music
Would A7 classify as just A on a musical scale?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
Well first lets break it down.

F = F A C

The transition here is F goes down a half step to E. A goes down a whole town to G and C remains.

C = C E G

C becomes C#. We add an A as the root here and the other notes are the same.

A7 = A C# E G

A remains. C# goes up a half step to D. E goes up to F#. A goes down a whole town to G. Although the F# we already have from the A7 moves up a half step to the G in this occurence, two ways of saying the same thing,although the latter is a better way.

D = D F#A

As we all know A7 to D is a perfect cadence V - I.

If this is in F major I'd say it was an I V III VI progression.

The major 3rd and 6th are common, they are chord substitutions (Lou Armstrong - What A Wonderful World has them for example).

Generally if the chord your at has tones in common with the chord your going to, it should work out, providing theres some sort of movement (e.g a F# going to a G and all other notes are the same)

Hope this helps.
Quote by slash=legend
Would A7 classify as just A on a musical scale?

A7 = A dominant7th.... the V chord in the key of D Major.
shred is gaudy music