Hey folks,

yesterday I changed the strings on my Ibanez GSA60 guitar with some new ones. Strings are D'Addario 009-046 or so.
Firstly I took off all the old strings(, cleaned my guitar ) and then put on all the new strings.
After that I tried to tune them to E standard-tuning.
When I finished that, my whammy bar "changed" its position... it was like I was putting down the vibrato all the time, but I didn't.
So I detuned the guitar once again... the whammy bar went down.
"Aha", I thought, "If I try to tune it up, the whammy bar goes up aswell".

Then I held my vibrato up a little bit so that the whammy bar keeps its 'standard-position' while tuning the strings.
But there is no chance to tune them to E standard because my whammy bar moves up in some sick-looking position so that there's no way to play well.

Any idea how I can fix that problem by myself?
Last edited by Shadowhunter123 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by randomhero93
tighten the tremelo springs in the back cavity of the guitar

Ye good idea but tell me how I can do that?
I agree with randomhero.... don't do the same mistake as me and change the action. Simply tighten the screws, but retune to E every few adjustments, because the string tension increases as you tighten the strings, so keep tuning the strings, tightening the screws, retuning until the vibrato reaches an acceptable height.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
take off the back plate on your guitar and there should be 2 screws. tighten those screws and it'll tighten the springs
Quote by Shadowhunter123
Ye good idea but tell me how I can do that?

Get screwdriver with the same head size as the screws.

Open back cover of guitar. (unless you have holes revealing the screws)

Insert screwdriver and turn screws in direction which brings them more into the wood.

Rinse and repeat.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Quote by KasanDude
I agree with randomhero.... don't do the same mistake as me and change the action. Simply tighten the screws, but retune to E every few adjustments, because the string tension increases as you tighten the strings, so keep tuning the strings, tightening the screws, retuning until the vibrato reaches an acceptable height.

yes! finally someone agrees with me!!! this is the first time ever! ^_^ sorry for acting weird, it's just very honoring... XD