I have a Sigma guitar and I wanted to lookup when it was built, does anyone know how I would go about this. Send the serial number to Martin or is there an easier way?
^--Im sure that would work. What is the serial number? I have no idea about Sigmas but with some brands the serial number itself tells the year of manufacture.
Quote by nmelluzzo
I have a Sigma guitar and I wanted to lookup when it was built, does anyone know how I would go about this. Send the serial number to Martin or is there an easier way?

Don't waste your breath!
Martin has virtually no info on the Sigmas.
Best that can be given is a range.
Reply back to me with Model #, and the stampings/label on the inside. Pics would help.
Without getting into it too much, first the Sigmas are worth the money.
I wouldn't invest in anything after 1983. but depends
So, get back to me and I will update you as much as I can.
The most useful bit of information it has is the "Made in ____" label. Sigma was careless with their serial number system, unlike their parent company Martin, so determining a date from it is challenging. The location of manufacture will give you a rough time frame. From memory, I recall:

Made in Japan: 1971-1982
Made in Korea: 1982-1994
Made in Taiwan: 1993-Present

Though none are particularly valuable, the earliest models are generally finer instruments. I have a DR28H from the early '80s that is far too good for what I paid for it. I hope yours works out just as well.