I did search it and there was one article related somewhat to this but it didnt answer my question.

I play mostly Metallica and i was wondering is there a way to develop your right hand so that you can downstroke faster. Does making your arm and wrist stronger develop downpicking speed. Also are there any exercises that might help. I have been doing more weightlifting concentrating on my right arms wrist and forearm and I noticed I can downstroke a little faster than before but are there any better ways.

Thanks
oh ok thanks so just gradually increase the speed of a metronome and then try to keep up
dont listen to the other dude.working out those muscles DOES help.It builds endurance.
trust me when your playing whole songs all downpicking and fast you will feel the burns in ur muscles.but the best workout for those muscles is the actual downpicking and do it till it burns like a workout
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
@_@ why only down strokes?... when i first learn master of puppets, the intro ( i thought ) required downstrokes. When i presented the problem to my guitar teacher, he insisted that i learn to economy pick the song. I took that information home and i practiced what he told me. To my surprise it is a lot more comfortable to play and it sounds better in my opinion.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
What really helped me increase my downpicking speed was learning how to play Creeping Death, after that things were so much easier.
It's just a case of continuous practise at comfortable tempos, ensuring you keep relaxed and dont start tensing up. Gradually increase through to quicker tempos.
trying learning the down picking section in American Love by Haste The Day it has a very basic down picking section and if you keep working on it you can start making it faster and its a good warm up
Quote by Calibunga!
@_@ why only down strokes?... when i first learn master of puppets, the intro ( i thought ) required downstrokes. When i presented the problem to my guitar teacher, he insisted that i learn to economy pick the song. I took that information home and i practiced what he told me. To my surprise it is a lot more comfortable to play and it sounds better in my opinion.

Because that's the aggressive sound.

IT really brings over the energy of the track. It's meant to sound aggressive and hard. If you play it comfortable it just lacks the essence of the track.

If you play economy, you can hear the smoothness. I can understand that smooth sounds nice, but that's totally not what makes metalica.

But ye you can leave out those details, and you will become a good guitarist, just not a great one.

Small details separate the great from the good.

The aggressive downpicking on almost all their stuff for those kind of riffs = basically what makes metallica, metallica.

Certainly it's not in the note choices, cause they use pretty standard harmonies. It's not in Lars's drumming, cause well, his snare often sounds ****e, and has no interesting beats. It's not in JAmes Hetfield vocals, cause well, he's not the best vocalist.

And it's certainly not in Hammet's solo's. I'm a firm believer that Kirk Hammet solo's sound good because of the super tight rhythm playing behind it.

So it doesn't matter what Kirk plays, since the "real" energy/aggression comes from the heavy riffing behind his solo's.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
...nope.

Read los stickios.

As much as I usually agree with the stickies I do feel a section on downpicking would be helpful as it's not entirely a matter of the same kind of economy of motion and co-ordination practice for shredding and the like...I could give writing it a go over the next few days if you think it's a good idea...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sure, it's not the same as "shredding", but it is just co-ordination and eom, with stamina coming from muchos practice. I'm afraid I'd add it to the sticky, but it'd have to go to the end, lots of the main posts are at/near the character limit.
Quote by Freepower
Sure, it's not the same as "shredding", but it is just co-ordination and eom, with stamina coming from muchos practice. I'm afraid I'd add it to the sticky, but it'd have to go to the end, lots of the main posts are at/near the character limit.

I might just have a go at writing something about it over the next week or so then
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Calibunga!

Your guitar teacher, along with your opinion, are wrong.

Master of Puppets is down picked, period. Economy picking it is just the easy way out, sorry to burst your bubble. I used to economy / alt pick it and thought it sounded as good... when I had been playing for 4 months. I then stopped making excuses and just learned it correctly.

There is no comparison to a properly downpicked riff, especially MOP, to a babied alt picked version.
Ye downpicking is actually a bit different, because with alternate picking the upmotion provides a note as well, but now it doesn't.

Because it doesn't create a note, you must do the upmovement faster or else there's a "rest" in sound between the 2 downpicks, (like if you would alternate pick, but leave every "up-pick" out).

That's why downstrokes at higher speeds are so "exhausting", and that motion requires fast muscle work and this requires stamina.

Alternate picking at high speeds also need stamina, but due to the nature of how music evolved, by the time you need more stamina/muscle for alternate picking, is way beyond the standard of fast playing, and is only needed if you venture into some of Rusty cooley's stuff.

Generally you have enough muscles to get up to speeds of petrucci, and it's just a matter of coordination, and ,most of the time if Petrucci does go a little faster, he adds legato/a few hammer-ons/pull-offs (just like Paul Gilbert).

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 13, 2009,
There is no comparison to a properly downpicked riff, especially MOP, to a babied alt picked version.

Yeah, Petrucci's a little girl
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Yeah, Petrucci's a little girl

I honestly don't like DT's version of Mop

IT sounds to "innocent" in comparison with for example Metallica's live version at seattle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sXk5tHbqA

Master of puppets is evil song about how drugs control you.

The downstrokes of Hetfield sound like he's chopping with an axe into someone's skull, lol where I don't get that feeling with petrucci, where it sounds to smooth.

Ofcourse, if you like the sound more, them who am I to disagree. I just think that the song is because of that downstroke intensity hailed by so many metalleers.

It's puree energy.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 13, 2009,