So I've decided to buy an Epiphone Valve Jr head as a practice amp. Eventually, I'll mod it .
But an amp needs a cab! Just like...mice need cheese...? Whatever.

The question is, how do I choose a cab??
I have no experience in cabs whatsoever (this'll be my first tube amp).
I know the VJ has a 4, 8 and 16 ohm selectors so I don't think ohm-age will be a problem.
Do I choose a cab depending on the speaker in it only? Or are there other factors?

I'd like the cab to be a 1x12. I'm also planning to use it for other heads,not just the VJ, so I'd like a good cab. My budget is 500$ (could I get a good cab for that price?)

I'm not even sure if this is relevant, but I play classic rock, blues, anything but metal.
I'm a bedroom guitarist, but I'd eventually use the cab for band practice.

Sorry for being inhabited by noobiness.
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Construction is the only other thing you'd really need to consider besides the speaker, and you don't have much selection when it comes to 1x12 cabs, so that makes the choice easier

Blackheart, Egnater, Basson, Krank, and Randall all make great 1x12 cabs for well under $500, and then there's the Epiphone VJ cab itself. You might actually prefer the matching VJ cab considering your styles. And if you don't like the sound or think it could be better, with that budget you can always get a new speaker for it
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
http://www.lopoline.com/home.html

http://avatarspeakers.com/

persanally id get the lopo line just cause there cheaper.

anyways to me atleast a good speaker wins over a good cab.

I wouldnt buy a mainstream cab just beacause in many cases there inferior to lopo or avatar, and alot of the time these companies produce better cabs.

its all in the speaker, cab is secondary, look at the tone king playing out of a cardboard box against a real cab with an inferior speaker.

also what are your genres, depending on what you play diffrent speakers will provide diffrent tones.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 6, 2009,
if your ganna use this for future amps other than just your epiphone make sure you buy one with large width to accomadate any head.

lopo makes a large one.

http://www.lopoline.com/1X12large.html

you could buy them either empty or loaded, they only give you the option of texas heats and V30's.

Id go with the V30's.
because he wants a cab for future amps aswell.

anyways if he did buy the matching cab, hed have to upgrade the speaker somewhere down the road, and im pretty sure the cab is cheap ply.
So basically it's in the quality of the build and the speaker.

Now how do I go about choosing a speaker?...
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
well depending on your style.

yours is blues and classic so a low wattage speaker will be good to really give you a huge sound.

G12H30 is what your looking at or a greenback, both from celestion.

lopo sells the large cab for 180 i bealive, celestion sells G12H30's for 100 so your looking at 350 with shipping and handling for everything.

avatar already has this set up never mind, buy from them instead.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 6, 2009,
The Randall 1x12 made for their MTS series actually has a Greenback in it, and it built very sturdy
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Shoot, if you're looking for a decent cab I've got a trutone 1x12 I'm fixing to get rid of this coming week. It's blonde with no piping and has an oxblood grill cloth. I'm getting rid of it because I bought a Fargen Olde 800 combo amp and I really don't need the cab. I had an Eminence Wizard in it, but I'm putting that into the Fargen. The Fargen has a G12H30 in it that I'm going to rip out and put into the cab. If you're interested email me and we'll talk turkey. themetallicat86@gmail.com
imo best bet is to get a framus cab either 1x12 or 2x12, u can find ten on thomann, if that helps,
they are the best quality for the price,

and the v30 are epic.