Page 1 of 2
Ok, for my GCSE performance/composition, I was planning to use Sir Duke(stevie wonder). But, today my teacher said that for the compostion we need to compose a melody for our instrument(btw, the performance and compoistion need to be linked[technique/feel/tempo/tonality etc you get the idea]), and seeing as bass isn't generally a lead instrument she wants me to do a piece composed for bass on its own.

Another thing she kept on saying that the performance is marked on musicality over difficulty. I.E. a grade 8 piece that isnt played completely fluently will get less marks than a grade 4 piece played in the pocket.

So, by monday, I need to come in with a piece of bass music that is
a) Melodic
b) Not too hard
c) Shows a few different techniques

And what makes this difficult, is that nearly all songs written for bass are by virtuosos. Which in most cases, garuntees that they arent going to be very easy to play perfectly.

So, if you could please give me a couple of recomendations, it would be great
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Moonlight sonata, i dnt know, can you make something up.

Si what you need is a piece, that when youve finished it you then need to play a melody to it. Learn a simple guitar line on bass, Some led zep maybe and then play the bassline for the other part.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
lmao i came on here ready to scream sir duke at you cos its sooo amazing, but youve got that down already lol
Quote by fatgoogle
Moonlight sonata, i dnt know, can you make something up.

Si what you need is a piece, that when youve finished it you then need to play a melody to it. Learn a simple guitar line on bass, Some led zep maybe and then play the bassline for the other part.

You see wth Moonlight Sonata, if I did that, I would have to compose a pice that is very similar as well :/ Which, seeing as my tapping skills are barely haigher than poor, wouldnt be easy.

Im not really sure what you mean in the second half

Quote by Casketcreep
Well I know it's commonplace to see people recomending it, but anaesthesia by metallica covers all those points.
Played without the horrible distortion it is rather beautiful.

Im really not much of a metallica/cliff fan at all

@noddy, i know what you mean, I really was looking forward to doing it as well
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 6, 2009,
Well, learn the guitar part to a song, and then instead of making a melody up ust play the bassline, most people wont know the difference.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well, learn the guitar part to a song, and then instead of making a melody up ust play the bassline, most people wont know the difference.

If you're talking about the performance, it has to be a real piece of music, with notation and an original copy and everything.

Any more recommendations?

Maybe quite an easy song by Stu Hamm/Michael Manring? I'm not really very familiar with their stuff, so I dnt really know wether they have an easier songs
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 6, 2009,
azchu zu azchu by rammstein has a simple bass line and a fantastic melodic solo. Only problem is you need a b string. But it can be altered to fit many keys and you may not need the b
Last edited by FUT55 at Mar 6, 2009,
It needs to be a song written for bass only.

Any other suggestions? Ive just been through every guitar pro/powertab file of Stu Hamm on here, the only one that the sort of thing i was looking for was Charlottes Song, it was great up until the last 4-5 bars with the use of the 23rd-24th frets My bass 22
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
If you're talking about the performance, it has to be a real piece of music, with notation and an original copy and everything.

Any more recommendations?

Maybe quite an easy song by Stu Hamm/Michael Manring? I'm not really very familiar with their stuff, so I dnt really know wether they have an easier songs

Manring? Don't think so, and even if it existed, remember his use of tunings.
Try composing.
Quote by watchingmefall
Manring? Don't think so, and even if it existed, remember his use of tunings.
Try composing.

yeah ok

Like I said, it needs to be a written piece
Quote by guitarhero_764

seriously you could breeze through GCSE music on green day songs unless it's got drastically harder in the last 3 years
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
seriously you could breeze through GCSE music on green day songs unless it's got drastically harder in the last 3 years

This is what makes choosing a song so difficult. It has to be relatively simple, yet it has to be a solo piece. Which is probably the hardest thing to find evar.

Names of solo bassists with some easier stuff?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Do you get to play with a drummer, alot of simplier things will sound amazing with a drummer behind you.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by ScottB.
This is what makes choosing a song so difficult. It has to be relatively simple, yet it has to be a solo piece. Which is probably the hardest thing to find evar.

Names of solo bassists with some easier stuff?

josie by steely dan? the bassline is melodic enough to get by as a solo piece
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I will try and persuade her to let my do Josie if I cant find a solo piece, I have pretty much the bulk of the song down anyway, it just needs perfecting.
Quote by guitarhero_764

you should be ok, the sylabus doesn't state that it has to be a piece written for a solo instrument it just says solo performance. that just means you playing on your own
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
you should be ok, the sylabus doesn't state that it has to be a piece written for a solo instrument it just says solo performance. that just means you playing on your own

Yeah, I think she said that I should do a solo piece just because generally the bass doesnt really play the melody, but yeah I think Josie is melodic enough to use. And really, I dont think theres any way I can find a solo bass piece thats within my skill range.
Quote by guitarhero_764

One Ive been looking at lately is Jeff Berlin's rendition of Tears in Heaven. Just trim off all the improv he does, strip it down to the bare bones and go from there?
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
i hate jeff berlin so much, he's so far up his own arse that i just want to get a shovel and stick it right up there to try and dig him out
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
i hate jeff berlin so much, he's so far up his own arse that i just want to get a shovel and stick it right up there to try and dig him out

But you gotta admit, it's impessive that he was actually able to get that fat head that far up his ass.
No, he is a total tool.
But he does have some pretty nifty little ditties (man-ditties).
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Melodic, catchy, shows different techniques, easy to perform* and written for bass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGEU9N8kAwI

* - Compared to Jeff Schimdt or Michael Manring.

There's a powertab on this site. It has the basic idea, but its in the wrong octave. there's a few mistakes and it misses out the 'solo'.
dear ts, do you use fingers or pick?
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
If you can find a copy of 'Giants of Bass' by Stuart Clayton, that has some solo bass pieces in it, written in the style of various low-end luminaries, that actually aren't too difficult. Definately worth a shot.
Also, on bassplayertv.com is Nathan East playing the vocal melody to EWaFire's 'Fantasy', which is transcribed in the magazine. Thats a good example of bass as lead instrument, and you can easily drop back to Verdine White's part for the chorus or where its a bit too tricky.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by FUT55
azchu zu azchu by rammstein has a simple bass line and a fantastic melodic solo. Only problem is you need a b string. But it can be altered to fit many keys and you may not need the b

It's Asche Zu Asche.. and no, you DON'T need a b string for that song... MORON
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
Portrait of Tracy!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
If your allowed to improvise i'd probably reccomend so what by miles davis. Probably one of the easiest bass melodies out there but it has a huge potential for improv.

What's a GCSE?
Last edited by Bass First at Apr 9, 2009,
I was about to say Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers but it has to be written for bass.
That's tricky, try google?
Strangle by Ted Nugent hold has a bass solo, don't know how hard it is but it doesn't sound insanely hard. Give it a try . :O I remember know my first song on bass Holiday by Green Day has a bass solo too. If i had to do that for my BGCSE music thing i would probly do one of those.
Last edited by Kayus at Apr 9, 2009,
could you write your own? or do your own spin on something maybe?

I've been messing about with "greensleeves" - I'm thinking of tabbing it soon, but I'll have to PM the guy who done it for guitar 1st cos I basically learnt the guitar 1st and transposed it an octave down on bass.
Dune tune - Level 42
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i did my gcse performance on bass, and the teacher litterally told me that bass isnt a good instrument to peform because you dont have many songs written for bass only. so i did mine on trumpet instead
u could find some cello peices, and tranpose it for bass.
Quote by eazy-c
Portrait of Tracy!

I did this and I got an overall A
Seriously though, Do Amerika by Jaco if you have a fretless, its easy peasy and it sounds fantastic.
Or Love Thang by Stu Hamm.
Do you have to have the sheet music as well though?
I did for mine.
I went to the effort of tabbing Sonata in G minor out in guitar pro for my solo performance, I've posted it on here and it could be just the kind of thing you're looking for? Plenty of room for emotional expression and dynamic invention..
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Thanks for all the replies people, but I chose to go with "are you in" by incubus, I showed it to my teacher and she said it is the perfect sort of difficulty that they are looking for
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
Thanks for all the replies people, but I chose to go with "are you in" by incubus, I showed it to my teacher and she said it is the perfect sort of difficulty that they are looking for

Best of luck, man.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Page 1 of 2