now, im in trouble

finaly i have enough money to buy a new amp (900&euro for the case, and but i can get it up to 1000€ if i wait a little bit more... im in fact, buying my first amp (sice all the amps that i've played trought the years where from my brother, and now, 6 years later, i will get my sound). The big thing is that i want a all tube amp, and i dont really know what to do... i've played so much things that im a bit confused... so... I play Led zeppelin, Hendrix, SRV, AC DC (i know that here, i would go for a marshall or vox), but i really like the sound of Van Halen and Satriani, etc etc... So... the big doubt is there... i could get a really nice blues amp, like :

Peavey Classic 50
Vox AC30
Fender DeVille

Or i could get a really good punchy amp:

Peavey 6505
Marshall
(...)

It has to be a combo, and it has to be able to play in SMALL gigs (pubs) and be loud enough to drown the drums, but low enough to pratice in my room (i live in a building, with old neighbours). and i have a Ibanez TS9 and a Crybaby, the new amp has to marry them

im really confused (note that i listed the amps that i like more, doesnt mean that i dont want any other options...

Sorry my english, it sucks!
Last edited by Lcrbsr at Mar 6, 2009,
get the 6505 212 and switch the 6L6's with EL34's to get a sorta British-ish sounding VanHalen tone, just an idea
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
also check out traynor YC50 i think
or (im not sure on conversion for pounds to euros) save up a bit more and look at the bogner alchemist
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
You dont hafta have a loud amp for gigs, thats why theyre mic'd. So they dont lose tone by being cranked.
But, for what you listed as playing, Id go personally with either Fender or Marshall.
Fender has great clean tone, especially tube amps, and your TS9 will cover dirty sounds.
Marshall tube also sounds great, but would probly be more expensive than the Fender so thatd be a factor. Plus, Marshall distortion would be good as another dirty tone option, or using either that or the TS9 as a boost.

The best advice I can give you is to go to a local store with a good selection, take your guitar with you, and just sit and jam on some tube amps until you decide, or at least cut down your choices. I advise you to never buy an amp (or guitar for that matter) that you havent played on, unless youre absolutely sure of what youre getting. Choosing an amp is a big decision, so take your time and go with what you feel is best
Traynors are hard to come by in europe so that probably would not be a good choice. Check out used JCM 800's, Orange Rocker 30, Laney AOR, Laney VC30, etc...

Laney's and Orange's are a great buy in Europe usually.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
well, the guitar is a Gibson Studio Vintage Mahogany, The budget in dollars is 1.138 USD.

Im not a metal player, and i dont really want to have a really loud amp that im never going to use at MAX volumes. I only want a good friend that i can carry to pubs and jam, that can do a really nice clean, a really nice crunch, and a big gain sound (if i could put the 5150 distorcion with the VOX ac30 clean sound, it would pe the perfect amp for me).

Im considering a Peavey Classic 30, but the gain wont do... it is not enough (i've noticed that cuz i was playing Van halens hot for teacher and the tapping and solo where ****, with the gain cranked)
Quote by funkymonkz
Traynors are hard to come by in europe so that probably would not be a good choice. Check out used JCM 800's, Orange Rocker 30, Laney AOR, Laney VC30, etc...

Laney's and Orange's are a great buy in Europe usually.

man i've saw so many oranges today in the music store...

i think rocker 30 isnt loud ... ive had that idea

I want a NEW amp
The Rocker 30 is definitely loud enough for anything you need, and it will most likely have enough gain on tap.

As for having to buy the amp new, you can for sure find a Rocker 30, or any of the amps I mentioned new. Except the JCM800 and the Laney AOR.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
the only thing i dont like about the rocker:

no reverb

i think it would be cool if i could have a 30w head and a 412cab, i whink it would be the best option (i've considererd it), but it would be very exepensive!
Quote by justinb904
get the 6505 212 and switch the 6L6's with EL34's to get a sorta British-ish sounding VanHalen tone, just an idea

I wouldn't recommend doing that. For one, it's not going to give you a british sound, it's more than the tubes. Also, the SGR's need to be upgraded if you use EL34, or you'll eventually cook them. By most people's accounts, the upgrade isn't worth it, since it sounds better with 6L6.

http://www.fjamods.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
AC30 = god
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
AC30 = god i have no doubt about that, and i can get one right now. but i think it doesnt have the gain that i need to tap van halen, for example...
hum.. i guess im making up my mind

Orange Rocker 30 combo

Vox ac30

Since i only play at small pubs, do you think Orange would get the job loud?? Vox ac30 is a 212 and the orange is only a 112, but if i need more (in the long future) i could buy a big cab and wire up the combo?

what do u think between this 2?
The Classic 50 and AC30 have enough gain to do Van Halen, esp. when boosted with an OD. Slash used an AC30 to record 'Contraband' by Velvet Revolver.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i would say get an amp thats great for your blues/rock type stuff and then get a distortion pedal for stuff like satriani and van halen. (no, it's not a sin to buy a distortion pedal with a tube amp. multiple genres played means you need multiple distortion voicings). i'd consider this: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
im really into these 2 amps... i think classic 50 is a bit louder... my needs dont go that way... orange rocker doesnt have reverb, so i might go for the AC30 Or Classic 30...

...or orange rocker xD damn i dont really know XD
you should narrow it down to the Rocker 30 and the AC30, because the classic 30 isn't even in the same class as those two.

The Rocker has more gain then the AC30, however, the Ac30 has better cleans. They will both be loud enough for pub gigs, the Rocker 30 is easier to carry around since it is a 1x12, and most places have a PA system, so volume or speaker configuration should not be factors when deciding between these amps.

I suggest going to try both of them out at a music store, and look at a lot of youtube demos before making your final decision.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
do you have a speaker cab?
if you live in europe i'd say you should get the Cornford MK50H. but you'll have to save up another 700€ (if you're buying new).
i think it can cover what you play, and you don't have to upgrade your amp for a long time.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
thats what im doing and tomorrow i will test the 2 amps. im not really into buyng new pedals, i like the ts9.. im really a noob talking about speakers, what is the diference (of course there will be a diference, since the vox is 212 and the orange a 112). The reverb missing in the orange is a really bad thing, since the price isnt very nice...

didnt understand the diference u told about the classic 50 and vox ac30... whats the diference talking about the gain? they are both 212, the have both good cleans and good reverbs (i dont really care about the vox tremolo)... what do you think? note, i can get a classic 50 for much less than a vox..
Quote by necrophilic
do you have a speaker cab?
if you live in europe i'd say you should get the Cornford MK50H. but you'll have to save up another 700€ (if you're buying new).
i think it can cover what you play, and you don't have to upgrade your amp for a long time.

portugal.

700€, nahh i only have 900€ and i dont wanna waste more than 1000€ on a amp..