So I have a Peavey Valveking 112 that I constantly gig with, and today I was sitting at home, playing the guitar, when I smell something burning, i go and look behind my amp and the tube for the drity channel was red, the whole thing, and was putting out alot of heat, more than normal. I turned it off, let it cool down, then turned on standby, and the tubes now show a blue light along some parts of the tubes. I turned it all the way on, and it played fine, no loss of sound, nothing wrong. Didn't heat up agian.

I was wondering if I should replace the tubes anyway since I have to have this amp every week. I bought the amp off the floor so I Idon't know how old the tubes are already.
Is it a combo? If so, I've heard they can knock the valves around a bit. So you might need to tighten the plug thingies. But it sounds like it might be getting close to needing new ones/needing new ones. Get a new set just in case one dies soon.

Edit: Also if you're moving it around lots it'll probably knock the valves around a bit more, so definitely tighten the plug things up.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah it does sound like you should get new ones (how long have you been using it btw?) Ive replaced mine before its not hard.
I was wondering, to nayone who knows, for a mroe crunchy classic rock vibe what tubes would you replace? like different types e.g/
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Probably would be a good idea. Check in there with a flashlight to make sure nothing burned up too. I would suggest when you change the tubes, to go to Radio Shack and buy something in a spray can called "electrical contact cleaner". The pins on your tubes are essentially just that. Take the new tubes and roll the pins in toward the center just slightly to make a tighter fit and spray the contact cleaner on. Push the tube in and pull it out. Clean the pins with a clean rag and put it back it. Do this one tube at a time to ensure your contacts are all clean. You can do this from time to time if your amp is in a dusty environment, and I would suggest tightening the pins up once ever couple of months to keep them from rattling loose. Also, if you're looking for a good site to find tube sets, check this out:
http://www.eurotubes.com/
Click on Shop Online. It will show you which tubes will work in your amp and the type of tone you can get with each set. Hope this helps.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
Last edited by joshuamazing at Mar 6, 2009,
thanks joshuamazing (ego on the username hahaha) im gonna hceck that site out.

and to T/S some backup tubes is a must, youd be suprised how many times a tube will blow the night before a rehersal or gig without time to get to a guitar shop with the tubes you want.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I just bought a high gain retube set for my 5150 for about 100 bucks. Shipping should come out to be around $8. Not a bad price and it ships within 2-3 days. I don't even need new tubes but I bought those as a back up just in case.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by charlie__flynn
thanks joshuamazing (ego on the username hahaha) im gonna hceck that site out.

and to T/S some backup tubes is a must, youd be suprised how many times a tube will blow the night before a rehersal or gig without time to get to a guitar shop with the tubes you want.

Especially if you're like me, and live like 220km away from the closest guitar shop that'll sell the complete lot of valves for < $200.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo