Hey guys, I know you might think this belongs in the GB&C forum, but for now I'm just talking about gear and tone.

I'm going to be building a cabinet in the near future for a hand built amp I'm planning, and I was wondering what you guys thought the tonal differences between a 4x8" cab and a 1x12" might be? My intuition and experience tells me the 4x8" would have a much more complex sound, have a quicker response and a tighter tone, but might lack some of the bass that a 1x12 might be able to provide. Why am I interested in 4x8 at all you might ask? Well....I just think it would be cool, silly looking, and would sound good for cleans and lighter distortion tones from a very very simple hand wired all tube amp.

Just wondering if you guys had any experience with multiple 8" cabs, and what they sounded like; I can't find anything around here to test. I LOVE 4x10" cabs for their punch and clarity, but I don't need something that big for the little amp I'm building, so I thought 4x8" might be rockin'.

Any opinions or experiences on the tonal difference?
Agreed, split the difference and go for a 2x10
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by enselmis
2x10 FTW

I don't really know why, but for some reason I want it to be as small as possible....I have this very specific idea of a dorky/cute little hand wired tube amp and a tiny little cab that sound really awesome for cleans and blues-rock overdrive. I'm a metal/shred player, but I want this! Hahaa, don't ask me why, I just do.

2x10 = 20" across
4x8 = 16" across, 4" smaller

I'm going for small in size. Small in width especially. It must be cute or else it fails.
I've not heard a 4x8, but I have heard a 2x8, albeit for harp.

It was freaking awesome.

I want a 4x8 cab. Lol, I was actually thinking of building one for a Valve Junior
The 4x8 will have more highs, and the 1x12 will have better lows, simple... I'd go with a 2x12 tbh.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by imgooley
I've not heard a 4x8, but I have heard a 2x8, albeit for harp.

It was freaking awesome.

I want a 4x8 cab. Lol, I was actually thinking of building one for a Valve Junior

These were my thoughts exactly. I've never heard of a 4x8", which would increase the awesomeness of my building one, and I love love love 4x10"s matched to powerful heads, so I imagine a 4x8" matched to a little 5 watt or so tube amp would be kickin'.

Quote by Jesstaa
The 4x8 will have more highs, and the 1x12 will have better lows, simple... I'd go with a 2x12 tbh.

It's gotta be small, a 2x12" is too big.
I've got a 4x8, it's alright. Would like to be able to change speakers though but can't find many 8" speakers
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I've got a 4x8, it's alright. Would like to be able to change speakers though but can't find many 8" speakers

Care to elaborate? How is the bass response, and how are the highs and mids? What speakers are you using in it, and what is it made of? What amp(s) have you run through it?
I've never liked the bass response of 8" speakers, and they sound gross when driven hard.
But of course, that's through a 1x8 setup.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator