well, this is about the third amp thread ive had in a very short time, and ive had alot of great suggestions, and even some offers, of amps and i think i found one, the crate palomino 30 watt all tube, theres just one thing i need to know, how can i make it sound like a classic/ heavy metal amp. i play metal music like 80's metal like ozzy, so iwant to be able to have a sound like that, but ive been told that distortion pedals ruin the great tone of a tube amp, so what can i do to get "that" sound. maybe an OD pedal like an ibanez tube screamer or a bad monkey could do it, but i dont know if they would make the amp sound "metal" enough. so what can i do toget a good crunch out of it, im very open to all suggestions, as i would like to know about the tonal qualities of a tube amp before i buy one. all advice is welcomes -thanks
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
www.eurotubes.com
Click on Shop Online. They have various tube sets and they tell you what the tone will be like.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
Well to me there are two types of distortion:

Metallic: Using a distortion pedal, think Dimebag and most metal.

Crunchy: The type of distortion you get when you push a tube amp (possibly with an OD), think Jimmy Page, Slash, and most classic rock players.

I really don't know if you can get one with the other.
No means maybe
MXR makes a distortion pedal that Randy Rhodes used when he was with OZZman, as far a ruining the tone, tone is all in personal preference, but I would suggest getting and eq pedal, preferably the mxr 10 band eq to help shape your tone. I use all kinds of **** and some pedals do affect the tone like flangers, wahs, depending on how things are set up, usually you get a mid boost with them, but you can always mess around with pickup selection or tone knobs to help out.
Dude, most tube amps (Such as Marshalls), go great for metal without pedals, just crank up the gain, the volume, and get thrashing >;@
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by pilgrimevan

Crunchy: The type of distortion you get when you push a tube amp (possibly with an OD), think Jimmy Page, Slash, and most classic rock players.

Actually Dimebag got his tone with a hot pickup, an overdrive, an EQ pedal, and like two rack EQs

Most metal uses an overdrive pedal to boost an already distorted amp to tighten up the sound some. It's all about stacking gain stages properly

And go for a Bad Monkey and an EQ pedal, or the MXR Distortion.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
It's like this man... If you want a high gain amp get a high gain amp. That crate amp is not a high gain amp really. I mean it don't matter what you do it'll never sound as great as the amps made for that.
The Palomino isn't a very m3t@l amp. If you want metal, get a different amp. You can make it do metal, but that's not where it shines.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The Palomino isn't a very m3t@l amp. If you want metal, get a different amp. You can make it do metal, but that's not where it shines.

Right...and putting a distortion pedal on it will just have that crappy distortion pedal sound that I hate so much. If you do have to put a distortion pedal get a valve distortion like the digitech hardwire series. Not the digitech hardwire metal distortion. Those are okay but I mean the amp still isn't voiced for it. If I was you i'd just get me an amp for metal. There are a lot of options under 500 bucks if you're just looking for a combo amp for the bedroom.
ok, so are ther any suggestions for a small high gain metal tube amp that is around 1-30 tube watts, for (Heres the catch) around $200-$300, in know its a tight budget, but with the economy isnt everyone. any help would be apreciated - thank you
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Peavey Windsor combo with a Tube Screamer? Or a used Triple XXX combo maybe.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Definitely the wheelhouse for a B-52 AT-112 used.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Shinozoku
Peavey Windsor combo with a Tube Screamer? Or a used Triple XXX combo maybe.

But the windsor won't be any better than what he already has? Why would he go out and do that?

To answer your question if you want a high gain amp for metal and a tube amp then no for 300 dollars you are not going to find a damn good one. If you'll save up 469 bucks you can get a vypyr 60 tube. It's an all tube power section and solid state preamp with one preamp tube. You can't tell it has a solid state preamp and the power amp is where you get your warm tube tone from anyway and that is all tube and the 6505 model sounds dead on. Not to mention the other models on it. It sounds AWESOME and the high gain models are killer plus the clean models. But if you can't save up I'd go for a solid state 75 watt vypyr. Won't sound as good but for 300 dollars it's still a fine amp. It will sound better than getting some low grade tube amp like a windsor and trying to make it into a metal amp...it being solid state will still sound better than trying to do that.

Just save up the 469 so you can get something that sounds awesome. People get sick of me talking about the tube vypyr here but I mean for 500 and under it just doesn't get any better to me.
Quote by pilgrimevan

Wrong, wrong , wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wroooong.

There are plenty of amps that provide pre-amp distortion enough to do metal. In fact pretty much all metal bands use them. Particularly in the sub genres he mentioned.
Quote by JilaX^
Wrong, wrong , wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wroooong.

There are plenty of amps that provide pre-amp distortion enough to do metal. In fact pretty much all metal bands use them. Particularly in the sub genres he mentioned.

This.

Most metal bands get their tone from either a good high gain tube amp or a good high gain analog solid state amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Shinozoku
Actually Dimebag got his tone with a hot pickup, an overdrive, an EQ pedal, and like two rack EQs

Most metal uses an overdrive pedal to boost an already distorted amp to tighten up the sound some. It's all about stacking gain stages properly

And go for a Bad Monkey and an EQ pedal, or the MXR Distortion.

haha and he also played metal amps like Randalls and Krank haha.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo