Last night, while I was at a friend's party, my mum received a call from the local city event organiser and offered me a performance opportunity at the Sydney Royal Easter Show (It's an absolutely huge event, millions of people over 2 weeks has Australian culture and entertainment and what not)

I wasn't around at the time to talk with the person but my mum took down a message and all she knows is that I have an opportunity to perform there.

As a bedroom musician who has only played infront of small crowds and high schools without speaking much if at all, what should I do? I'm not sure how big the crowd will be as I have no idea of which part of the grounds I'll be performing and whether or not the stage will be big or not, I'm hoping for a big stage so I can get myself noticed and all but I'm sort of buggered on what to say/do when I perform.

Should I get on stage and talk to the crowd or just walk on and play? (assuming I do get a crowd)

Should I refer them to my MySpace so I can get more fans?

What do I do to entertain them between songs?

I'm performing as a soloist with backing tracks so I don't have a band to interact with or anything so I'm not really sure on what to do with a crowd with expectations.
Right, this is what you do:
walk on stage, be confident, hold your head high. introduce yourself, clearly and play your opening song, your 2nd best track.
then go straight into your next song.
then talk to the crowd a bit (keep it snappy) tell them of how you were scared ****less of what to do here and youve never played like this before, keep it short but honest.
Then play another few songs, either intorducing them speeratley or running them through.
Te play an incredibly egotistical song, that has your name (or the name you play under) for the chorus, people weill remember you, be arrogant but charming.
Finish with your most memorable song, and tell the crowd how you loved em etc etc, point out people you made eye contact with (ALWAYS MAKE EYE CONTACT IF POSSIBLE), it makes em feel special and they'll remember you.
Bow and leave the stage to hue applause.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Right, this is what you do:
walk on stage, be confident, hold your head high. introduce yourself, clearly and play your opening song, your 2nd best track.
then go straight into your next song.
then talk to the crowd a bit (keep it snappy) tell them of how you were scared ****less of what to do here and youve never played like this before, keep it short but honest.
Then play another few songs, either intorducing them speeratley or running them through.
Te play an incredibly egotistical song, that has your name (or the name you play under) for the chorus, people weill remember you, be arrogant but charming.
Finish with your most memorable song, and tell the crowd how you loved em etc etc, point out people you made eye contact with (ALWAYS MAKE EYE CONTACT IF POSSIBLE), it makes em feel special and they'll remember you.
Bow and leave the stage to hue applause.

Thanks, it was all good but I forgot to mention that I'm a solo instrumentalist, I'm not a singer and I can't sing
Quote by XianXiuHong
Thanks, it was all good but I forgot to mention that I'm a solo instrumentalist, I'm not a singer and I can't sing

Ah well, still take all my other advice, its been tried and tested successfully multiple times. hmmm if you arent gonnna sing just throw in so lines - play your song then half way through go silent, stare into the crowd and say into you mic 'remember , im xianxiuhong (or whatever your calling yourself) and im the best thing on this planet and you guys have been blessed with a grace greater than God to be able to see me as famous before my time'' then carry on as if nothing happened.

Remember to command the stage, its your stage and you own it, use the whole thing and be ENTERTAINING!
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I agree with all the advice.

I listen to some of ur stuff and noticed the covers.

I don't know what kind of festival it is, like has it a certain people going (ie lots of metal bands or lot's of rock bands) or is it completely random with rock bands as well as experimental goa from ukraine or something like that

I'd suggest doing a cover as well of an instrumental.

If there;s lot's of metal crowds, I bet an Yngwie cover would be entertaining for the crowd, or a PG cover.

Open with the song you can rock out to the easiest. First impression is best, and if you can play flawless through the first song with a sense of "you could play the song in ur sleep", everything after that will be looked at easier by the crowd.

Also it's good as warming up, and if you feel nervous a track you can easily play will not be hard to perform at first.

Cover as 3rd song or so. (Covers are quite common especially for instrumental guitar, I mean even People like PG, Vai etc, plays at least 1 or 2 covers every show.

Use the best song for last when you are fully warmed up and energetic.

Dunno how long you can play, but nicest would be;

"easy track" 1st
Another track 2nd
Cover 3rd
4th track another
5th track ur best composition.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 7, 2009,